cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
Quad Damage
gori11a
I knew it was time to ditch the budget core2duo E2140 2x1.6GHz 800fsb chip when i tried to run Crysis at Xmas, even though i had clocked it to 3GHz i think the lack of cache was letting it down.

So i went for Q6600 2.4GHz 266x9 GO stepping (OCs better/cooler than B3). It's now clocked at 3GHz 375x8 and wow what a difference 4 cores and more cache.

Anyway to get my OC stable i had to raise the CPU PLL voltage which i know is important to quad cores and i think its the voltage to the chips internal clock.

But can anyone tell me what the CPU Voltage Reference setting is? Google comes up with lots of stuff but no one really seems to know. But have read that this is also important if i want to push for higher speeds.

Motherboard is ASUS P5KC, sorry for long post to short questionSickleep:

Thanks for reading

sick-lizard
hmm why you not set bios to default/auto then measure the default voltage that info should be info bios microcode.. hopefully you have a current bios that reconises the chip correctly Grin cpu PLL is surely the clock genarator so wouldn't imagine you need to raise the cpu PLL voltage much, must be newish thing with intel quads unless barking up wrong tree as never had to hit the clock gen with more volts before..

overclockers.com & xtremesystems,org are pretty useful resources.. to the forums

gori11a
Thanks m8 didn't find a complete answer but seen how other people are using the settings on Asus P5K boards on overclockers forum by searching posts.

For big overclocks some are using PLL up to 1.8, i only have choice of 1.5 or 1.7.

Upping the CPU Voltage Reference to 0.61x (some say go straight to 0.67x) has allowed me to drop Vcore down a notch and stay Prime stable on small FFTs load temps 53c to 56c across the 4 cores.

I'll give it a week to settle then rip it out and attack it with some wet and dry paper and go for 3.2 and 3.4Grin or untill i reach 65c load temps, thats my limit.

Edited by gori11a on 04-01-2008 21:06

if only i had something funny or clever to put here........

sick-lizard
hopefully fuzz is kicking about as belive he is running simlar kit to yourself & hitting about 3.4ghz

Jump to Forum