cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
confused
Tinger
Hi guys im about to build a new pc just for gaming, and im a bit out of the loop with the new hardware thats about. There are a few things i am unsure on.

1.Would a quad core processor make any difference in games ?

2.Should i go for a 400ish quid graphics card. Or go for two 200 in sli /crossfire both at x16? (is this possible i have seen motherboards with two x16 slots.) Or a 300 quid one for now and buy another one later on, and go for a DDR3 motherboard and ram?

3.Will this stop my fps going as low as 14 on pool party when its 8v8 :upset:Giggleol:

Any thoughts or advice will be greatfully appreciated thanks

CenTinela
Hi mate. Im thinking in buying a new comp soon too.

Well. Quad wont make any difference at any game, cause all (or allmost all) are using only one core. That minds that with a Core2Duo still are using only a core.

The only way of using the 4 cores is doing many, many, many things at time (like playing, streaming video, and some things more).

I recomend buying a good Core2Duo (like de E6750 or more).

About DDR3, for me is not good idea buying a board thinkin in that cause atm are really expensive, with bad timmings and with bad performance. So its better buy 2x1GB of DDR2-800 or if u want some more DDR2-1066.
Have read ddr3 will need almost a year for being a good elemnt.

And the graphics, it seems than the Dx10 cards that are atm wont run fine the games are comming soon. 9800GTX is comming on october (or later).

So, if atm u dont want playing Dx10 the x1950xt is not bad idea. 8800GTS is runing a bit faster at Dx9 than the ati, but think that, wont run Dx10.

SLi.. bah! was a good idea but without good drivers... not good idea atm (i think).

And if wanna buy another one later, think maybe u will have a really good graphic card with an "old" cpu.

PD: Atm, are u using any fps cfg??

Edited by CenTinela on 25-08-2007 13:20

sick-lizard
14fps ouch.. what kit you got at the moment?

Tinger
Thanks centinela you have saved me wasting my money :yes:

At the mo my system is as i built it when css/hl2 first came out and upgraded the graphics to the 6600gt when that first came out

athlon 2600xp
win xp
768mb ram ddr pc400
xfx6600gt

(i use duel boot one hard drive for normal pc stuff and one just for css)

I have tried all resoutions and different setting with hardly no difference even at 640x480 is dropping to 20 in a firefight with all options on low and a bunch of fps boosting cvars :upset:
I also reinstalled css and tried different drivers.
I think it might have something to do with the player models as my fps is ok with 5v5 on the server but 8v8 = crap

CenTinela
Did u tried this?: http://cleveridiot.com/readarticle.ph...ticle_id=9

And here Sicks cfg: http://cleveridiot.com/readarticle.ph...icle_id=10

I use one moded by me from caseys, but at graphics its the same. And my comp is P4 3.2 6600 512Ram.

Anyway, i too get low fps at 8v8.

Clever Idiot
what kit, you using at the momment?>

Tinger
by kit do you mean?

zboard
logitech g5
ice mat

2x22" fst crts got a dell and a lacie blue4 but only have enabled for css

I got the 22" lacie blue4 off a car boot for a fiverPfft

Clever Idiot
the important kit , motherboard , cpu , memory and timing , gfx card Smile

CenTinela

Tinger wrote:
At the mo my system is as i built it when css/hl2 first came out and upgraded the graphics to the 6600gt when that first came out

athlon 2600xp
win xp
768mb ram ddr pc400
xfx6600gt

(i use duel boot one hard drive for normal pc stuff and one just for css)

I have tried all resoutions and different setting with hardly no difference even at 640x480 is dropping to 20 in a firefight with all options on low and a bunch of fps boosting cvars :upset:
I also reinstalled css and tried different drivers.
I think it might have something to do with the player models as my fps is ok with 5v5 on the server but 8v8 = crap

Grin

Tinger
Giggleol::rol:

Cold
what is your budget?

Clever Idiot
Ok smarty - we are talking motherboard type and version nuber / biios date , timing of the ram - which nvidia crad is it - driver driver drivers make CSS run nice Pfft

Tinger
I could not be bothered messing about with my old pc any more. I think it was something to do with the shiity motherboard I had which I bought in haste after a drunken incident with a new cpu cooler and a screwdriver :ripSicko i have gone and got a new pc (overdrafts lol) it is coming on thursday morning Grin

specs

600W Silverstone Strider ST60F Quiet Quad SLi PCI-E EPS12v ATX Quad 12v v2.01 120mm Fan PSU

2GB (2x1GCool CorsairTwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12, EPP

Asus P5N-E SLI NF650i SLi, S 775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533/667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX

Silverstone Grandia GD01B-MXR Black Desktop Alu' Case with Card Reader MCE/Vista Ready w/o PSU

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, S775, 2.66 GHz, 1333MHz FSB, Conroe Core, 4MB Cache

768Mb 8800GTX PCI-E (x16), Mem 1800MHz, GPU 575MHz, Dual-Link DVI-I

using old hard drive for now untill i can get a couple of raptors :yes: oh and a better sound card but that will have to wait

i hope this will play counter strike source okGrin

Clever Idiot
No way will that run CSS - have to wait till next years model comes out , so dont bother to unpack it all , just ship it down to me i'll recycle it for you & all at no cost apart from shipping Pfft

CenTinela
Nice comp mate. But u are going to search another motive when u suck at 8vs8 Moonigrazz:

nax23
Devil the new quads will come out in 2 month but there is also one availible for 212€.
and the actual test of crysis says that u will get 60%fps with an quad then with an dual coreDevil
but yep atm there r only few games which can use 4cores
i will buy me an new pc after xmas .... hope i will get the new quads at that time and maybe the gtx will be cheaper Smile)
but ur specs ar fine to run crysis as well

btw the crysis demo comes out on the 25 sept!!!!

Edited by nax23 on 28-08-2007 16:04

marilyn at
nice comp mate hope now you rock some ass on pp2 Grin
btw i already play bioshock huh great fantastic

Edited by marilyn at on 28-08-2007 16:48

Tinger
The motherboard is quad compatible so i can just drop on in When the price for a decent one drops a bit Smile
I hope .(As long as they dont change something for the sake of it. Its a conspiracy i tells ya!!)

bioshock is on the top the my list. well after a bit off css Sickmilewinkgrin:

so ill see ya thursday nightSmile

Note to self DO NOT go to pub first it will just go wrong!!!!

Jump to Forum