cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
I May Need a New Monitor!? :O
spaceboy
Hey guys

My current monitor (a Samsung Syncmaster 226BW, which is a 22 inch 16:10 LCD) has started strobing when I turn it on in the morning for like 5 seconds before stabilising and keeping a constant image. I'm a little concerned that this may well turn into something more critical so think I should consider my options for replacement should it stop working entirely (I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty.. I've had it for 3.5 years).

So yeah I was wondering if anyone keeps up on monitor technology enough to recommend a decent replacement in the £200-£250ish range.. I know there's all kindsa fancy stuff to look out for with different panel types, response times, refresh rates etc and I'm not entirely sure which factors are the most important.

Cheers

Space
Behold the wondrous return of Sheriff Pony!

militant camel
I don't have one, but this Dell IPS screen is well regarded on rllmuk and in your price range. http://www.pcbuyi...ts_id=1154

matswatz
hurr durr more like "I, May, Need a New Monitor!? Shock"

Sorry for the off-topic Pfft
nothing but dust down here

alecom
I have a samsung 2433bw and it has served me well (:

It's within the price range you specified too!

Radoo
My monitor is flickering for two minutes when I turn on the PC. Toke

IPSs have great color range, but they lack good refresh rates, which make them not so good for gaming. I would go for one of these TN LED monitors:
- DELL G2410
- DELL P2411H
- Samsung BX2450
- LG W2486L-PF

Edited by Radoo on 14-02-2011 17:07

sick-lizard
A more verbose version of Radoo's response Grin

SIPS or IPS panels are really good for general usage(wide viewing angles + good colour reproduction) some have quite good response/latency.. (btw there aren't many 22inch SIPS or IPS panels they are mostly 24 inch plus)

How ever if your going to be sat straight in front of it & using it mostly for gaming + work & accurate colour reproduction is less of an issue then a good 120hz TN film panel is worth looking at, as well as low latency they are less tiring on the eyes than a 60hz panel.

go here http://www.tftcen... try the panel selector out & have a read see what you think, they don't cover all models, but it should give you more of an idea what panel type you want. We can then have a further scour of the intermawebs, hopefully finding you what you want Smile

I have both panel technology's & mostly end up using the 120hz panel(ViewSonic VX2268wm), but the SIPS does look gorgeous (Hazro HZ24W).

Leif
One of my screens is a Benq G2220HD which I am more than happy with.

spaceboy
Thanks for the replies guys!

Having read your responses and having had a bit of a read round I think I'll probably want a TN Film Panel ... ideally in 120hz, although I should just confirm whether I'll be able to run in 120hz mode off my graphics card, which is this as I know it needs some fancy dual link DVI connector business or something so just thought I'd check (unfortunately I didn't really consider this when I bought the card a few months ago when my old one broke).

I'm not sure if I want to stick at 22inch 1680x1050 (as my current monitor) or maybe go for something with a higher res/screen size (preferably still in 16:10) as clearly this'll be more expensive and also I like to run games and stuff in native res (as I've heard it can look a little shonky on LCDs when you go lower) and my current rig probably would suffer if I was trying to run stuff in 1920x1200 or whatever... but having said that I do plan to upgrade my rig as a whole at some point (probably in the summer), so this might not be an issue long term.

Much to consider!

Radoo
120Hz is just marketing (like the bullshit 600Hz plasmas - why do I have headaches if I'm looking too much at any plasma, then? even more than looking at my old CRT). 60Hz digital signal is OK. 120Hz is actually made to get the monitor to work as a 3D display.

I wouldn't upgrade a gaming rig until the release of the refreshed socket 1366(5 or 7?) from Intel, later this year. That will make a real difference from the current i7 950s.

Edited by Radoo on 14-02-2011 20:23

sick-lizard
I'm guessing you don't have a 120hz then.. its not bullshit, far less texture tearing, I was missing 100hz plus from crt days & I no longer get headaches when I have been at my pc for hours Grin Couldn't tell you about plasma's although seems pointless on something delivering 24-30 fps most of its life, are you seeing the same frame many times? Grin

Radoo
No, I haven't seen an 120Hz monitor. You might be right. Until I don't see it I don't believe it. Smile

I don't see the point of counting fps. You can have headaches with a still image and with a dynamic scene at 120fps, if the monitor is bad.

Exxy
I got a LG Flatron L222WS. It's a 22" screen, but I do NOT recommend it for people who use their PC ALOT. I haven't had any screen issues like that, but the buttons on it is fragile as shit, and the little "On / Off"-indicator is burned out on my screen.
cleveridiot.com/images/exxysigsmaller.jpg

sick-lizard

Radoo wrote:
No, I haven't seen an 120Hz monitor. You might be right. Until I don't see it I don't believe it. Smile

I don't see the point of counting fps. You can have headaches with a still image and with a dynamic scene at 120fps, if the monitor is bad.

Its not really a case of counting fps, more a case of excessive tearing appearing when the fps is above the hz.

I cap my fps to my hz value so its easier on eyes, if my gfx was capable of always being above 120 fps & never dropping below, I could enable v-sync & eliminate tearing completely, I can do this by dropping down to 60hz but my eyes get tired & sore much quicker eventually leading to a headache..

Please also bear in mind I'm working with dual displays on & off from 8am until 10pm at least, most days of the week. Perhaps my old eyes just need that extra bit of help Grin

I have to ask, how can a still image be dynamic, still implies non moving & dynamic implies it changes to me, bad choice of wording or am I missing something as usual?

Radoo
1. Tearing might have something to do with response time, not only with refresh rate.

2. Working from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m. is not good for your health. That's 14 hours of work! Smile

3. I said that a still image AND a dynamic scene can have the same headache effect. You were talking about 20 fps at 600 Hz like the problem ism with fps/Hz ratio. I haven't noticed this on my 2ms response time screen (real is about 6-8ms). But I did noticed that poor displays creates headache even with a desktop in front of the eyes. I'm trying to say that it's not only fast movement that creates headache on a poor display.

[Spaceboy you can start ignoring us if you haven't done this already Smile]

sick-lizard
ignore the last bit Radoo, I had misread your post a little, I agree with you on the plasma 600hz front, as the sources are generally 24-30fps although I haven't got a plasma myself this does seem like market hype, but when your source exceeds your hz I think there is value Smile

Response is the time it takes a pixel to change state, I have 2ms response too, but I notice the difference when I switch between refresh rates, the response is still the same nothing else changes in the spec apart from the refresh rate.

If you load up an old game for example like UT, that can run at plus 300fps on most modern gfx cards, making sure v-sync is off, you will see much tearing, worse at 60hz, still bad at 120hz.. the only way to eliminate it completely is turning on v-sync, which I can do with some games, but not all as I can't guarantee my fps won't drop below 120fps.

Edited by sick-lizard on 15-02-2011 17:45

sick-lizard
Benq XL2410T 24" TRUE 120Hz Widescreen LED Monitor

http://www.overcl...-BQ&tool=3

£287.99 in VAT

spaceboy
Ooow, looks pretty nice from the review on tftcentral... little at the high end of my price range, maybe my current monitor will hold on long enough for the price to drop a bit Smile

spaceboy
An update for anyone who's remotely interested, I've just ordered the Benq monitor Sick mentioned above... a little pricey at £265.00 from Amazon but I liked the fact it was basically an upgrade on my current monitor in every department.. it's LED backlit, it's slightly bigger, got a slightly better resolution, and it's 120hz.. so yeah, fingers crossed for no dead pixels/backlight bleed!

.. it'll be nice to be able to get away from my current monitor as the time it takes to actually get the thing turned on in the morning is now bordering on like 20 minutes Grin

alecom
It takes 20 minutes to turn a monitor on?!?! tmi

spaceboy
Yeah man, it's surprisingly involved... first I have to plug it in (because if it's turned off but plugged in it makes a low level high pitched noise which I find pretty irritating during the night).. then turn it on.. then it flashes white black for a few minutes.. then I need to turn it off and on again (possibly meaning unplugging it again if it refuses to turn off/on by the switch).. then it starts up suuuuuper dark and strobes for like 20 minutes as it becomes brighter until it decides it wants to act like a proper monitor and finally stops strobing Grin

Jump to Forum