cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
Alien Swarm
Masson
so, i guess i'll make the thread!

From http://store.steampowered.com/app/630/

Alien Swarm is a game and Source SDK release from a group of talented designers at Valve who were hired from the Mod community.

Available free of charge, the game thrusts players into an epic bug hunt featuring a unique blend of co-op play and squad-level tactics. With your friends, form a squad of four distinct IAF Marine classes. Plan your attack using an unlockable arsenal of weapons with countless loadout configurations against a wide variety of aliens. Blaze your way through an overrun, off-world colony, eradicating the alien infestation in environments ranging from the icy planet's surface, to a subterranean lava-flooded mining facility.

Along with the game get the complete code base for Alien Swarm that features updates to the Source engine as well as the SDK. Alien Swarm adds 3rd person camera, depth of field, improved dynamic shadows and a wide variety of gameplay additions to the Source engine.

So far it's seeming really good Grin it's very easy to play and get the hang of, and when you're in an organised team using voice comms it's definately so much better. The graphics are good, the scripted events are really well done too and the hacking minigames are a welcome change from another pipe dream clone ala Bioshock. Also TF2 hat Shock
Despite there being only one campaign (it's many missions long!) Valve released the SDK and there's already new maps being made* Smile

I'd personally give this a 7 or an 8 /10, good work Valve!

* get working Lucky!

Cpt Obvious
We can all make maps with the easymode version!

http://developer....rm_TileGen

alecom
Frown more maps to make

tomregev
The game's awesome, I honestly can't believe they put so much effort into a free game.

alecom
It was going to be a paid game initially

Humi
I played the Unreal version long time ago and I remember it was fun as hell. Will definitely give this one a try.

Leif
Played it and it was really fun! Hopefully loads of custom maps will be released soon enough Smile

alecom
I get kicks out of going on pubs for last mission so that I can solo it as tech (they all die).

Raven
Woot Alien swarm has crashed my secondary drive which is my steam drive causing my machine to lock up if i cant get it fixed i will have to remove it from sata and put it back as a USB Headbang
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

Raven
Quick bump

if you want in first person perspective mode do these commands in console
firstperson
asw_hide_marine 1
asw_controls 0

alecom
JFYI, there's no skybox Wink

tomregev
This game has a bad case of l4d syndrome, playing a pub game is such a horrible experience that unless you find some friends who are up for a game it's not worth playing.

Solo
Yeah I'm a big fan of this but pubbers are generally a bit retarded. If anyone is looking for a proper game I'm always up for one.
www.ziip.co.uk/ziipsigs/ziip_bc2.jpg

Raven
http://www.gametrailers.com/news/alie...arter/2420

New features:
Onslaught mode
Brutal difficulty
Hardcore friendly fire
3 new IAF promotion ranks

Jump to Forum