cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
Building computer from stratch!
vadoom
Hello everyone!
I have decided to get a desktop after years of playing on a laptop. I have to admit that Battlefield Bad Company 2 was the trigger.
I won't overclock right away but will crossfire for sure in the future. The resolution will be 1900 v 1080 (i think)
NB: i'm really a computer newbie atm so i will pay MSY to build it for a fee (therefore i need to buy all the products from there):

http://www.msy.co.../PARTS.pdf
All price are in Australian dollars. 1 euro= 1.6 AUD. 1 GPB= 1.8 AUD
I would like to spend as less as i can without sacrificing the performance of the build.

So here is it:

-> PCU: Core i5-750 $221

-> Mobo: Gigabyte P55A UD4P $225

-> Ram: 4GB Kit DDR3 1333 PNY or Kingston or 4G Kit DDR3 1333 G.Skill-NT orPatriot-Signature. All between $108-118. I think the G skill are better but i'm not quite sure. Any opinions?

-> GPU: 1GB 5850 HIS $377

-> PSU: do i need 650W or 750W (with crossfire)? Antec 650 or 750W? ($149 or $169). They don't seem to have any Corsair PSUs.

-> Case: Antec 300 or 900. I am opting for the 900 atm for the better airflow (Sydney is quite a hot city). $142 for the Antec 900

-> Fan: Coolermaster Universal Hyper TX3 $29. Any better choice there? Antec SmartCool 120mm or Noctua P12-1300 120mm / NF-S12B FLX 120mm ?

-> HDD: Samsung SATA 1TB $95 or WD SATA 1TB $105 or Seagate SAT $105?

-> Keyboard: Any suggestions there? I'm currenly looking at the G15 ($93) or Razer Arctosa / Lycosa for $46 / 98

-> OEM 64 bit MS Win 7 Home Premium $115

-> Monitor: I'm torn between 2 monitors: 23" 2ms Samsung P2350 ($235) or 23" 5ms Samsung 2333sw ($195). I have a preference for the P2350 for the better response time. What do you think?

-> Dvd player: I'm lost here, any ideas? : IDE Aopen/Samsung/LG/Pioneer118/LiteOn/SONY/ASUS 33/38/38/39/39//43/43 SATA Aopen/BenQ/Samsung/LG/Pioneer218/LiteOn/SONY/Asus 33/33/38/38/38/39/43/43

Do you see a way to reduce the final price tag or improve the general build? Am i forgetting something important? Is the build kinda future proof?
Thank you very much!

spaceboy
I can't really comment on anything else, as I tend to totally ignore any computer part developments in between builds.. but I have the Antec 900 case and I absolutely love it Grin I've only got a very mild overclock on my machine but with stock intel/nvidia cooling everything has been kept nice and cool by that beauty Grin
Behold the wondrous return of Sheriff Pony!

gori11a
CPU, Mobo and 5850 are solid choices.
650w PSU would run one 5850, prob 2 http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd4...ments.html

The 300 and 900 cases are good i have used both for builds, you do get a lot more with the 900. The 902 has better cable tidy options.

For memory go for the G.Skill Ripjaws 1333 they will let you get a medium/high overclock.

Coolermaster Hyper TX3, is a little better that the stock intel cooler.
However the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 is one of the best and will keep the temps and noise of an overclocked i5, but priceySad

Cant see the model numbers of the HDDs but you would never tell the difference between the three makes anyway.

Dvd drives, just go for the cheapest SATA one.

To save some cash you could go for GA-P55A-UD3 mobo, compare the 2 and check the features.
if only i had something funny or clever to put here........

fefe
can only tell you something about the keyboard Grin
sick showed me this one and I bought it Bandit
anyways good if you are a real gamer nerd who needs extra "gaming keys" Cool
but hey I like it
http://www.steelseries.com/int/produc...nformation
www.lolbase.net/EU/feliox/signature/0b3daa520.png

vadoom
Thanks guys, i'll follow yours advices. Fefe concerning that keyboard, it's really hard to find it in Australia and its price is pretty high. I might just go for the G15.
I'll start buying the parts in a week.

Exxy
Regarding Keyboard, I would say G15 depending on what games you're going to play the most.

The steelseries hardware (apart from headsets and mousepads) are quite meh to be totally honest. I am gonna buy a Logitech G15 as my next keyboard, because the macro keys are fukken awesome for strategy and RPG's Grin

Rofl teh cake
fuckyeah, g15. I have one and I am very happy with it, it made everything easy for me. When I am in a game, I don't need to alt tab to check the time, I just look at the built in monitor. Want to check how much perforamce your games take up cpu and ram-wise? Look on the monitor, pick the Performance program. Want to find out how long it takes you to rocketjump from the spawn to middle point? Use the stopwatch program, which can even be used as a countdown
What, you listen to music ingame and want to skip a song? You have to alt tab to do that?
AW HELL NO MAN THE G15 HAS BUTTONS AND SHIT FOR THAT.
THE MUSIC IS TOO LOUD? USE THE BUTTONS. MUTE THE MUSIC? USE THE BUTTONS ON YOUR KEYBOARD.
YOU WANT TO USE MACROS? HELLYEAH, ENJOY YOUR MACRO BUTTONS. WHAT? 6 BUTTONS AREN'T ENOUGH FOR YOUR BITCHASS? FLIP THROUGH YOUR KEYBOARD PROFILE AND CREATE A NEW ONE, NOW YOU GOT 18 DIFFERENT COMBINATIONS YOU DUMB FUCK.
WHAT'S THAT, YOU'RE TOO STUPID TO CREATE MACROS BY USING THE PROGRAM SEND WITH THE KEYBOARD, WHICH MAKES IT JUST AS EASY AS A HOOKER ON ST. PATRICKS DAY? YOU CAN DO THEM ON THE FLY BY PRESSING A BUTTON AND JUST TYPING THEM IN?
FUCKYEAH G15 I LOVE YOU AND I WANT TO FEEL YOU INSIDE ME

...yeah, stick to g15.

Edited by Rofl teh cake on 02-01-2010 14:08

spaceboy
So wait Cake... are you saying you like that keyboard? Innocent
Behold the wondrous return of Sheriff Pony!

gori11a
I have the Lycosa which is awesome, has Macros, and buttons for Music and shit.Pfft

vadoom
Oh btw Gorilla, i'm following your advice on the Noctua NH-U12P SE2. I hope i'll never have to worry about my pc frying in the hot weather.

gori11a
Rock
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/ca...u_cooler/6
http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/cp...nh-u12p/5/

Edited by gori11a on 03-01-2010 22:22

Jump to Forum