cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
TF2 Network Issues
Page
Recently I've been getting incredible amounts of lag in TF2 with the game being very jerky and unplayable. Choke is quite often around 50, but I can't seem to find any reason this would be the case.

This is a speedtest whilst I have TF2 open and lagging: www.speedtest.net/result/540193442.png
Out of desperation I tried playing with rate (20000, 25000, 30000 are some of the ones I tried), cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate (10, 20, 30, 60, 66) and possibly a couple of other things I've now forgotten about.

Edit: Also my FPS is anywhere from 40 to 120 (cpu is now bottlenecking, but it beats my old 15-25 by a huge amount - TF2 was great for the week after upgrading until network issues started)

Edited by Page on 14-08-2009 21:24

alecom
cl_interp?

Page
Have had that at 1, 0.5, 0.3, 0.033 and possibly some others as well, nothing seemed to make any difference (it was a bit less jerky when high but didn't really help the lag at all, just hid it a little better)

Edited by Page on 14-08-2009 21:29

Mike
Be* sucks doesn't it?

Try putting -autoconfig into launch options. That'll reset all the cvars to default. If that doesn't really fix it then the problem's probably outside TF2. Like a router firewall or something.

What kind of "jerky" is it? Is it like periodic lag or constant?

Hunt0r
reset your config and try as default if you still have an issue then it has to be a latancy issue with your router or something. and i tought Be* was a good connection?

agrippa

Mike wrote:
Be* sucks doesn't it?

actually i and everone i know who uses be* think its the best one out there, i wouldnt change unless i managed to get cable in my area.

No limits, no throttle and speed tests do well all the time.

Just think about all you people who were bitching at me on steam when teh update came out::

"how the hell did you get it so quickly!!! unfair!!"

Page a few things to check::

Try running another FPS game, preferably one that uses hl2 (css or hl2 itself) and see how it runs. If the problem persists try running a non steam game if you have one, will make it easier to narrow down your probelm. only bother with this if you happen to have them installed

Also are you on a wireless network? if so what part of the country do oyu live in (ill explain if oyu are on wireless)? Are thetre other ppl on your network and do thay have similar problems.

Is the lag/choke/loss/whatever consistant or does it start off fine then get progressivly worse?

Edited by agrippa on 15-08-2009 01:35

Mike

agrippa wrote:
actually i and everone i know who uses be* think its the best one out there, i wouldnt change unless i managed to get cable in my area.

I was going to make a post stating my dislike for Be*, but it's turned into an essay, so I'll just send it to you in a PM for the sake of staying on topic Wink

Page
The lag is pretty constant, but there's so much it materialises in pretty much constant jerkiness - corners are hell.
Can't try another source game (don't have any), been playing WC3 instead all night without any problems, and just tried UT3 which seemed fine, general internet and downloading is all nice and fast as well when I try them.

I tried resetting the config (would have done already but didn't know how), seems to have improved slightly in that it's less consistently jerky and only when I hit walls going round corners or spies (made a spy even more obvious than usual Smile ), but it's still not really playable.

The network has wireless but I'm using a cable, I would try the wireless however my mum decided to hide my stuff all over the house when I stayed there for a week between moving houses so my wireless router/dongle got left behind (along with some other very useful things I'd have liked to keep).
There were no other people on my network when I was playing earlier, there's 2 other people living here but neither really use the internet for much so I get it to myself most the time.

The lag/choke seems to be pretty instant and consistent at around 40 choke all the time, when I tried the CI server whilst it was empty it all worked well but switched to THG as it had people to test against and the lag was back.

Tried restarting the router a couple of times already in the desperate hope it'd help but it didn't (as I'd kinda expected).

NaughtyMe
...graphics card giving up?
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

Page
FPS is fine and it all gets drawn very prettily, just huge amounts of choke for no apparent reason - I didn't touch the settings until after it screwed up (the only change I'd made recently was zoom_sensitivity_ratio 0.7 to improve my pretty abyssmal sniping).

Edited by Page on 15-08-2009 03:22

Mike
Try messing around with cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate.

Page
I did try messing about with them and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Page
So I eventually decided to try turning off multicore rendering (I noticed the lag mostly disappeared when I had another window on top of TF2 and TF2's cpu usage dropped) and ever since then I've had very few lag issues (at least none that make TF2 unplayable). So if anyone else is getting horrid lag it might be worth a try (E6600, GT260, Windows 7 (x64) RTM)

Jump to Forum