cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
Worth getting a new monitor?
Cold
I currently have a 17" CRT monitor, nothing wrong with it yet other than the space it takes up.

But now I finally have some money to spare, I am wondering whether it is worth my while getting a new screen? If I did, it would be at least 20" i think, I have been looking at :
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158568 and that's the best i think I have seen. it's a little more than I would like to pay, but the cheapest decent 20" is only £3 cheaper Sad

Any suggestions? Is it even worthwhile getting a new monitor? I really don't want to have to buy a new GPU as well... current have an ATI x1950XT

spaceboy
I have one of these chappies: http://www.trustedreviews.com/monitor...r-226BW/p3

I upgraded 2 years ago from a 19 inch CRT and it's a decision I'm extremely happy with. Going to widescreen really makes a huge difference to useable space on the desktop and in games so it certainly feels to me like I got good value for the £220 odd quid I spent at the time. It seems obvious to say it but upgrading your monitor is great because it pretty much makes any interaction with your computer better.. I mean you can buy the greatest graphics card in the world and it will make fuck all difference when you're just browsing the internets..but a pimp new monitor is always there being awesome! Grin

Couple things to look out for though; probably want to avoid going budget as if you want to play any fast moving games on it (css/tf2 etc) then you'll want something with a decent refresh rate, some of the budget options can apparently get a bit blurry with quick movement. Also things start to look a bit crappy playing in anything other than native resolution.. so that could be a problemo if your current system is going to chug playing things that high (although I can't comment on whether it will or not as I know nothing about any graphics cards apart from my own Grin).

Edited by spaceboy on 16-07-2009 18:38

Cold
Resolution is a bit lower than it could be now on that. I do quite fancy a samsung, but they are not cheap...

What sorta refresh rate should I look for? I have been focused on brightness contrast and response time

spaceboy
Oh yeah! Response time, that's the chuffer (not refresh rate!) Grin Mine is 2ms, apparently you get noticeable blurring on anything above 5ms ish.. if I remember rightly from the reviews I read when I researched buying this.

sick-lizard
look for SIPS or IPS based panels they have got a lot cheaper and the image quality is great, response is quick & nice viewing angles if you watch a lot of films on you monitor

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpro...=MO-032-DE <-- can you save a bit more?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ <-- good site to help you choose the right panel for you Smile

Cold
that's about £50 more than i am willing to pay for a monitor Sad

will have a look through that site, cheers Grin

gori11a
I have a BenQ 22" not HD just a cheap one, but pretty good so far.

That dell only has a 6ms response timeSad

Mike
Can you honestly tell the difference between 2ms and 5ms?

gori11a

Mike wrote:

Dunno the last 2 i've had were only 5ms and have been fineWink

Just noting the dell is only 6ms for loads more cash

sick-lizard
that is because its an E-IPS panel, they cost a bit more, not a cheapo jobbie, if you bother to read the difference between the panel types you may understand.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/...logies.htm

if your computer use is gaming, sit directly in front of your monitor & don't really need accurate colour reproduction then a TN Panel is fine.

gori11a

sick-lizard wrote:
that is because its an E-IPS panel, they cost a bit more, not a cheapo jobbie, if you bother to read the difference between the panel types you may understand.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/...logies.htm

if your computer use is gaming, sit directly in front of your monitor & don't really need accurate colour reproduction then a TN Panel is fine.

don't tell me, you have one? Pfft

sick-lizard
no Grin I have a 24 inch Hazro monitor although the same IPS panel used in the Hazro is used by both dell & HP Smile

Edited by sick-lizard on 18-07-2009 20:36

Page

Gori11a wrote:

Mike wrote:

Dunno the last 2 i've had were only 5ms and have been fineWink

Just noting the dell is only 6ms for loads more cash

Alec was moaning about 4ms being too slow, when the monitor he was using at the time was 10ms Pfft
I think mine's a 5ms and honestly with my framerate I can't notice anything (got a 7600GT)

Radoo
Just my opinion...

1. 20" wide screen Full HD is.. small. Wide Screen LCDs are worth having from 22" up.
2. With Ati X1950XT I doubt you can play TF2 smooth with details high on 1920x1080.
3. If you're not watching allot of movies, not using development toolds and not playing MMOs, the wide screen is useless (I repeat, it's my opinion).
4. From your 17" CRT to a 19" LCD it's from the start a huge difference, because LCD has 19" viewing diagonal, whereas the CRT has about 15-16" viewing diagonal. Also, 19" LCD has only 1280x1024 resolution which is not too high for your video card.
5. The milliseconds are just marketing, all the manufacturers are doing non-standard test measurements to fit their best interest, from the fact that many of them are putting to display the GrayToGray speed, not the color one, to the fact that they can measure reaction time from and to a certain point (Chip Romania benchmarks done with the oscilloscope confirmed that a few years ago).
6. Panels, darn, panels... So many types these days, you don't know what to choose. The main principle is this: faster response panels (e.g. TN) have less colors and/or viewing angle, while best picture quality panels (e.g. PVA) have higher response time which imply a higher ghosting effect (which is bad). Nowadays there are many variations from the TN and PVA/MVA panels, and I don't know which are better (sick-lizard looks to know more), for gaming it's better something with a good response time. As for the colors, well... CRTs are better, being able to display the full spectrum of 24bit color range. Smile

I hope I made myself useful. Giggle

Edited by Radoo on 19-07-2009 02:36

Cold

Rayden wrote:
Just my opinion...

1. 20" wide screen Full HD is.. small. Wide Screen LCDs are worth having from 22" up.
2. With Ati X1950XT I doubt you can play TF2 smooth with details high on 1920x1080.
3. If you're not watching allot of movies, not using development toolds and not playing MMOs, the wide screen is useless (I repeat, it's my opinion).
4. From your 17" CRT to a 19" LCD it's from the start a huge difference, because LCD has 19" viewing diagonal, whereas the CRT has about 15-16" viewing diagonal. Also, 19" LCD has only 1280x1024 resolution which is not too high for your video card.
5. The milliseconds are just marketing, all the manufacturers are doing non-standard test measurements to fit their best interest, from the fact that many of them are putting to display the GrayToGray speed, not the color one, to the fact that they can measure reaction time from and to a certain point (Chip Romania benchmarks done with the oscilloscope confirmed that a few years ago).
6. Panels, darn, panels... So many types these days, you don't know what to choose. The main principle is this: faster response panels (e.g. TN) have less colors and/or viewing angle, while best picture quality panels (e.g. PVA) have higher response time which imply a higher ghosting effect (which is bad). Nowadays there are many variations from the TN and PVA/MVA panels, and I don't know which are better (sick-lizard looks to know more), for gaming it's better something with a good response time. As for the colors, well... CRTs are better, being able to display the full spectrum of 24bit color range. Smile

I hope I made myself useful. Giggle

2. When is the last time you saw me on TF2? Smile
3. I have found it very difficult to get anything but a widescreen at that size.

I can upgrade the GPU if i really need to, but i certainly won;t be doing that until I have the monitor and have seen how my current card copes with it.

Radoo
3. Yeah, there is not much to choose from at 19" as it was a couple of years ago, it's like a global conspiracy to make people buy only wide screens. Sick You could try finding an LG L19xx; too bad that LG stopped making many of the old series like L1970HR-BF.

gori11a
Have just read a review of the BenQ G2220HD 22" in Custom PC and they liked it...
"A decent quality, high-resolution monitor at a great price!
Quality 76%
Features 64%
Value 84%
Overall 75%

Mike
I'd like to get a widescreen at some point in the future too. Currently have a 17" 1280x1024 monitor. As much as I love my current monitor, the extra desktop space would be very helpful.

Recently I've started needing to view more applications at the same time and atm I have to do that by minimizing windows or making them smaller and shoving them out the way. Annoying.

I'm not really bothered about graphics in games, so I wouldn't mind bumping down graphics, currently I can run most games on highish with fine performance (except tf2, which runs awful either way). I wouldn't mind reducing graphics to shit for a bigger screen, the bigger workspace would be worth it.

Just looking for a general screen, not some ultra-crisp expensive brilliant monitor. Looking at 1650x1024 ones, but if you spot a bigger cheap one, let me know Wink

Not looking to buy right now as money's tight atm, but maybe in the next few months, God willing.

Edited by Mike on 20-07-2009 22:32

gori11a
http://www.saverstore.com/link/242177...CD-Monitor

sick-lizard
Have you used savastore/watford electronics much?

I personally wouldn't throw jarate on them if they were on fire.

I hope there customer service has improved(4 year old incident), its nice when they fail to pack items & after 3 days of trying to get through you basically get called a thief, the only way we could get the matter dealt with was by asking barclaycard to withdraw the payment, magically customer service contacted us and the missing goods were finally delivered (2 months later after going elsewhere!)

Caveat emptor! Make sure you use a credit card so you have some protection if you do choose to use them Smile

Jump to Forum