cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » idle chat
 Print Thread
I like Anime
agrippa
i really do.

So the new tv blocks have been running in Japan for about 2 months now and ive had a chance to watch a few bits and pieces here are my highlights::

Eden of the East
(Higashi no Eden)

When one of the first scenes in the show is the main character (Akira) standing naked infront of the White House holding a gun and a moblie phone you know the show will keep your attention.

On November 22, 2010 ten missiles strike against uninhabited areas of Japan, claiming no victims. This apparent terrorist act is referred to as "Careless Monday" and disregarded by most people. The series begins three months later, with a young Japanese woman named Saki Morimi visiting Washington D.C. as part of her graduation trip. When she gets into trouble, a mysterious Japanese man, who introduces himself as Akira Takizawa, helps her through it. The man appears to have no memory and is completely naked, carrying only a gun and a cell phone charged with 8.2 billion yen in digital money.[1] The cell phone has the phrase, noblesse oblige ("nobility obligates" or "noble's obligation" in English), printed on it. While they are coming back to Japan, they learn that a new missile attack has taken place in their country.

The series is animated by Production IG who also did Ghost in the Shell series and films, Library Wars, Blood, and the anime section from Kill Bill. Suffice to say the visuals are wonderfully animated and a real joy to watch.

Also an interesting note: the intro theme for the series is "FAlling Down" by Oasis.

Couple of Screenshots below to give you an idea of how well done it is:
randomc.animeblogger.net:8000/image/Eden%20of%20the%20East/Eden%20of%20the%20East%20-%2001%20-%20Large%2010.jpg

randomc.animeblogger.net:8000/image/Eden%20of%20the%20East/Eden%20of%20the%20East%20-%2004%20-%20Large%2016.jpg

randomc.animeblogger.net:8000/image/Eden%20of%20the%20East/Eden%20of%20the%20East%20-%2005%20-%20Large%2031.jpg
{Osugi after a little too much to drink)

randomc.animeblogger.net:8000/image/Eden%20of%20the%20East/Eden%20of%20the%20East%20-%2008%20-%20Large%2012.jpg

Im also gonna post a bit about Valkeria Chronicles later on. So Anyone else watchign anything good at the moment?

Edited by agrippa on 31-05-2009 21:25

Cpt Obvious
Well feel free to necro my old anime topic.

Following eden of the east myself too now. Seems they running out of time to introduce rest of the selecao since only few episodes and a movie left.

Rofl teh cake
Aaah eden of the east. Tried to watch the first episode of it, but it was somehow screwed up so I just got to the part where that american dropped his pants and gave em to the protagonist.
Watch tengen toppa gurren lagann. And Death note. Also, cowboy bebop, but I think everyone already did that.
Its not related to topic, but here are some good mangas Id recommend to everyone.
Liar game: Awesome manga about a man, a professional scammer, prolly the best in his job and a woman, a very honest, you could even say naive person fighting against a scamming company. Very psychological and exciting.
Ichi the Killer: A guy who is a little but mindly challenged kills a whole yakuza on its own. Very very very gory and unbelievably perverted. If you are into Sado Maso and mutilated dicks, go for it.
Beck: A normal boy founds a band, they become pretty famous. Really funny at some parts but also really interesting.

NaughtyMe
uh...no
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

agrippa

NaughtyMe wrote:
uh...no

You see while some people might consider Naughty's comment snide and unnesseccary, his sense of humour never fails to amuse me. I'm fully aware that he would never want to say or do anything that might in some way lessen the rich and varied nature of the numerous interests represented in the CI community, even if the topic in question was one that he wasnt a fan of.

Such a joker that naughty.

Edited by agrippa on 01-06-2009 00:00

wolflordandy
I'm currently reading the Dragon Ball Books, they're pretty funny, and only marginally different from the anime series. My local Forbidden PLanet has 20% everything atm, so gonna pick up some more issues and any random issues of anything interesting that has issue 1 Smile

Rofl teh cake
Buying manga... Wat.

NaughtyMe

AgrippA wrote:

NaughtyMe wrote:
uh...no

You see while some people might consider Naughty's comment snide and unnesseccary, his sense of humour never fails to amuse me. I'm fully aware that he would never want to say or do anything that might in some way lessen the rich and varied nature of the numerous interests represented in the CI community, even if the topic in question was one that he wasnt a fan of.

Such a joker that naughty.

The contained ire and wrath in your paragraph so carefully concealed with polite words - you're such a nice person - even as the spittle rests itself against your bottom lip, you refuse to spit. I bow to your calmness and gentlemanly conduct.

....bows.....*whispers "fecking weirdos" and runs...runs for the hills laughing manically, while farting in your general direction
..I promise to shut up now - carry on! No more derailments...

Edited by NaughtyMe on 01-06-2009 00:32

click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

tomregev
I've never seen an internet argument done with such finesse, well done sirs.

Rofl teh cake
www.7chan.org/a/src/124191833094.jpg

Here, have some recommendations.

Mike
Is that it?

Rofl teh cake
Yes, I know its not much. Pfft

agrippa
As promised::

Valkyria Chronicles is the anime based off a game of the same name for the PS3. Its a sort of WW2 retelling but with place and race names altered to fit an into a fictional continent that looks alot like Europe.

Its set in a Holland or Belgium type country called Gallia that is caught in the middle of the two major warring powers; the Empire to the east (basically the axis) and Federation to the West (basically the allies). The story starts when the empire invades Gallia and the two main protagonists (Welken Gunther and Alicia Melchiott) join the Gallia milita. The story then loosly follows the plot of the game

The Anime has been done by A-1 pictures, an arm of aniplex who are Sony's anime production company. A-1 are relatively new, but those who watch animie might already know that they recently did Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler).

The animation is very very pretty, one of the things that still makes me laugh about the show is the range of facial expressions that the female lead (Alicia) uses, heres a few of my favs so far::

Shock:
randomc.animeblogger.net:8000/image/Valkyria%20Chronicles/Senjou%20no%20Valkyria%20-%2001%20-%20Large%2012.jpg

Panic::
randomc.animeblogger.net:8000/image/Valkyria%20Chronicles/Valkyria%20Chronicles%20-%2006%20-%20Large%2036.jpg

Exhasperation::
randomc.animeblogger.net:8000/image/Valkyria%20Chronicles/Valkyria%20Chronicles%20-%2003%20-%20Large%2017.jpg

Embarrisment::
randomc.animeblogger.net:8000/image/Valkyria%20Chronicles/Valkyria%20Chronicles%20-%2004%20-%20Large%2018.jpg

Suspicion::
randomc.animeblogger.net:8000/image/Valkyria%20Chronicles/Senjou%20no%20Valkyria%20-%2001%20-%20Large%2008.jpg

Erm..crazy psycho.. determination..maybe?
randomc.animeblogger.net:8000/image/Valkyria%20Chronicles/Valkyria%20Chronicles%20-%2006%20-%20Large%2004.jpg

Exhasperation (again)::
randomc.animeblogger.net:8000/image/Valkyria%20Chronicles/Valkyria%20Chronicles%20-%2003%20-%20Large%2008.jpg

And so on (and i really could go on).

Anyway the show and the game are relatively lighthearted so not to be taken too seriously and they do seem to be doing the 1 week battle, 1 week no battle formula, but that will have to change if the game storyline is to be followed.

Finally the game (and by extension Anime) storyline does get a fair bit darker. The ingame race being persecuted are called Darcsen's (Basically Jews incase you hadend guessed). Identified by their Dark Blue hair, the Darcens are central to the storyline both in the present and in the history of Gallia. At one point in the game the Milita liberate a workcamp for Darcens and this will sure be mirrored by the anime soon. Even some of the main cast are Darcen haters and in the game quite a few of the selectable squadmates are Dracen haters also.

Also for a lighthearted show quite a few people are going to die. I know this from having played the game and there are a few deaths that are unavoidable. Its also one of those shows where the bad guys arent "bad" in the James Bond Villain sense, they just happen to be on the other side of the war. Infact the anime has recently aired an episode from the Empires point of view that does make you warm to the Imps quite alot.

Finally if yuo have played the games then you will seea lots of the selecable squad mates which is a real bonus. The flamboyantly gay Jann (voiced in English by John DiMaggio who does Bender from Futurama) is worth a giggle as always, and my favs from the game who appear are Oscar and Emile Beilert, the sniper brother.

I know this is alot to read but im putting it here because im tired of seeing people recommend an anime by just saying the name. If you are going to get people interested in something just saying "go watch Cowboy Bebop" isnt really enough. If however you say::

Go watch Cowboy Bebop, look how awesoem it is (best viewed in HD):

YouTube Video

See, nothing but win!

I know there are alot of anime fans in the CI community, how about you lot tell us all what shows you like and why and then shows us all if you can? Isnt that better than reading another list of names of shows that someone else wrote that you know you arent going to go and watch just because someone wrote the name down for you.

Edited by agrippa on 02-06-2009 16:27

wolflordandy

Rofl teh cake wrote:
www.7chan.org/a/src/124191833094.jpg

Here, have some recommendations.

Seen 18 of these...

Recently I picked up some Manga issues for "The Getbackers"

Pretty good so far, its about guys that "get back what shouldn't be gone" esentially reclaimers. One has electrical powers while other has "the evil eye" and can make illusions from people. I'll let you know if its realyl good after I've read the first 2 books Smile

For anyone thats not seen it, go watch dragonball, and then dragonball Z, feel free to avoid GT though. This guy is slowly putting up all of DB, his old account got suspended for copyright, but hes puttign em up quickly, so watch em while they're there!

Intro:
YouTube Video

I'll post some more stuff when I have the time.

Ramini
Seen (at least one episode) 17 of those.. didn't like most but its reminded me that I forgot about several animes I started watching and didn't finish. Just in time since I finished the most recent TV series I was working through (Fringe) and TV is pretty much dead at the moment.
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei from that list

Getbackers also I started watching and meant to continue.

Gintama is also amazing. Its about a bunch of freelancers who just get into random trouble. Think just any anime about a group of people doing whatever they can. It does't take it seriously though. I can't really say more since I've forgotten everything about it except it being good.

wolflordandy, if you didn't know there is a "new" dragonball series going up under the name of Dragonball Kai. Its old animation but new voices and trimmed. The idea is to remove all the annoying filler bits that the original stuck in that made a battle last several weeks as well as fix some continuity errors. Reducing it from 291 to around 100 episodes apparently so that is alot of filler. Only up to episode 9 so far and they are just getting up to the nappa battle. Equivalent to episode 17 of Z

krakyn
FFS Agrippa I'm going to have to watch the Cowboy Bebop film in subs now and my body clock is fecked as it is. Pfft

wolflordandy
I am indeed aware of them Ramini, the remastered episodes, that guy I posted is putting up the remastered ones now I think (originally it was the old stuff)

Basicly the anime was being done same time as the magazine, so they had to fill in space while the script was being writen/drawn for the manga!! But yeah, so much horrible filler.

Its also worth watching loads of the movies, some are a bit odd, telling the story of the whole series in 2 hours and a lil different, while others are based after a saga has finished with a random badguy you never hear from again or later on (Such as Cooler, Frieza's older brother, the original Garlic (not Garlic Jr) and other such fiends.)

If you like Cowboy Bebop you need to check out Black Lagoon (Earth based Mercinaries in present day, based aroud there boat and smuggling/assassination/etc) and Outlaw Star (Space based, but all the ships have arms so get in grappling fights and knife fights in space, also lots of ninjas and a cat race that are quite like the Klingon empire)

Tenchi Muyo is pretty good but can be an acquired taste.

Also, anyone just starting out with anime, get the Dubbed versions. It will make you feel more comfy getting into it, then you can go for subbed, and eventually, you can learn Japanese Pfft

(I have tried/am trying to learn Japanese several times. I've failed thus far)

Rofl teh cake
I am on the last episode of season 1 of "Black lagoon" and I can just say its lovely. It involves crazy nazis, a woman who has more balls than the bastard child of steven seagal and wayne rooney, a housemaid who has more balls than the goddamn batman, shootan etc. etc.
I recommend it to anyone, mighty fun.

Btw, do you guys torrent your anime? If you direct download em, where?

BiGFooT
I have FTP full of anime Smile

Cpt Obvious
Animebreaker.com cause i rarely have patience to search and wait for torrents, and i dont really care if its hd or not.

Also yes Black Lagoon is badass. Tho you will shiver before the terrible Engrish of the second season.

Edited by Cpt Obvious on 03-06-2009 16:59

Jump to Forum