cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
Demos
Ramini
Anyone tell me how I actually play them? Get an error about gameinfo.txt not being present or somesuch. Took a demo of a sniper in a game I was playing tonight. I'm obsessing at the moment whether he was hacking or just insanely good. I'm leaning towards hacking but if he's just better I could learn from the demo. I consider myself good as sniper but this guy just seemed in another league.

spaceboy
Go into console and time "demoui" which I guess is Demo User Interface, then hit load and select your demo.. should be fairly self explanatory from there? However if you've already done this and this is the point at which it's not working then ummm just ignore me Grin

fefe
I have a question to.... how can I change them that I can see them in media player or somethin' like this ?
www.lolbase.net/EU/feliox/signature/0b3daa520.png

Ramini
Works thanks, thing is, I don't think I've ever encountered a hacker in TF2 before and this server was VAC secured. The shots hes pulling off though make me think of wall hacks and aimbot too, his ping was really high and every kill was a headshot.
7Pain7Killer7 if anyones interested, after 3 minutes he stops and stares at a wall though Pfft I'm just obsessing slightly since.. not being too full of myself, I reckon I'm one on the best snipers on the Ci server and the server itself has above average players, if hes real that playstyle could be something I should look into Pfft

krakyn
I've seen blatant sniper hacks on the Ci server (we kicked them hard), VAC is good but people still get round it, so this guy could easily be hacking.
Try and judge how long he takes to aim a head shot, you might get some quick ones by fluke if you are used to aiming at the right place but every time is hacks.
Jem, fallen and shifty should all be able to tell you about converting to a media player format so if they don't post here pester them on steam Fefe.

spaceboy
Being VAC secured doesn't necessarily mean that you won't encounter hax on a server, basically there's a bedding in period for detection with VAC, i.e. the account of hackers only actually get binned after about a month. The reason for this is that otherwise the people designing the hax could create one iteration..use a fake account.. see if it gets banned immediately... go back to the drawing board.. tweak the hack.. and repeat until it's undetected by VAC and they don't get banned. This way they have no way of tellnig if the hack has been VAC detected for a month after design.. which hopefully slows down the cheat/anti-cheat arms race in Valve's favour.

I'm intrigued enough to have a look at the demo, I've encountered a bunch of genuine aimbotters in CSS and usually their movements are pretty distinct so I'll see if I can give you a definite call.

fefe
thank you krakyn Smile
and to ramini I think its hard to judge cause one time he only hurts the enemey without heady Cool
www.lolbase.net/EU/feliox/signature/0b3daa520.png

spaceboy
I've had a look.. unfortunately there's really not enough of him actually killing people on the demo to be conclusive. I'd say I'm about 90% sure he's wallhacking (just cos of some of his weirdass hideously suspicious staring at walls while not AFK moments), and about 50% on the aimbotting. Generally with aimbotting you'll see a really freakish inhuman snap of the cursor to someone's head the second they come on screen.. and there was slight evidence of this here but as I said not conclusive. If he is aimbotting then he's probably got it scripted so that it only actually activates when he zooms to make it less obvious.

Another hint that he's hacking is that for someone who's supposedly got a godlike aim that has even ramini questioning himself.. he's pretty crap. I mean if he'd aqcuired that aim through hours and hours of practice you'd expect him generally to be a very good player.. but in that demo he looked really clumsy moving about the map and died in a bunch of pretty stupid ways.

Oh yeah and in response to Fefe, the fact that he didn't actually get a headshot on one of those doesn't necessarily mean he's not hacking as the hack will be based on the info available to the client his end.. so there's still potential to miss a shot due to netcode disparities with the server.

Sorry to write so much, but it's fun, like being a detective Grin

Cpt Obvious
uh nooby question but how do i watch the demo i downloaded from the link?

NaughtyMe

Spaceboy wrote:
I've had a look.. unfortunately there's really not enough of him actually killing people on the demo to be conclusive. I'd say I'm about 90% sure he's wallhacking (just cos of some of his weirdass hideously suspicious staring at walls while not AFK moments), and about 50% on the aimbotting. Generally with aimbotting you'll see a really freakish inhuman snap of the cursor to someone's head the second they come on screen.. and there was slight evidence of this here but as I said not conclusive. If he is aimbotting then he's probably got it scripted so that it only actually activates when he zooms to make it less obvious.

Another hint that he's hacking is that for someone who's supposedly got a godlike aim that has even ramini questioning himself.. he's pretty crap. I mean if he'd aqcuired that aim through hours and hours of practice you'd expect him generally to be a very good player.. but in that demo he looked really clumsy moving about the map and died in a bunch of pretty stupid ways.

Oh yeah and in response to Fefe, the fact that he didn't actually get a headshot on one of those doesn't necessarily mean he's not hacking as the hack will be based on the info available to the client his end.. so there's still potential to miss a shot due to netcode disparities with the server.

Sorry to write so much, but it's fun, like being a detective Grin

Glad someone's got some spare time on his hands...must be nice!!

Wink

spaceboy
It IS thanks very much Pfft

Fallen Seraph
@fefe: a (not so simple) guide to it

The easiest way to sum it up is:

1.open up a demo
2. find the bit you want to record
3. type 'startmovie moviename avi' in the console
4. select some codec (probably xvid if you have it; i've never tried anything else, I imagine they all work)
5. Lag
6. Stop when you feel like it

tbh, I've never gotten vids to sync properly when avi-ing them. Also, this process is really a lot of hassle tbh, I advise you to be REALLY sure that you want to watch them in media player and not in the demo form.

edit: uh, maybe fraps would be easier, but I know nothing about it :\

Edited by Fallen Seraph on 24-09-2008 16:17

Rofl teh cake
Oh, sniperhacks...I remember a guy who wasn't even zooming and doing headshots, it was like one second, one kill. At the end, seraph served him. X)

Sammage
I was called a cheater on the Ci server yesterday for doing that! It's quite doable to quickly scope and shoot someone while dodging. Check out the sniper frag demo in the other thread.

Oh, but that guy was all kinds of cheating. There's definitely nothing to learn from his 'style'. I would suggest checking out the sniper frag vid though, because that was AWESOME.

Ps I used to go to a LAN party with !Klams from that demo, that's the whole reason I got into tf2! small world

jem58
There's a command to view wireframe player models, so you can check if he's looking at people through walls. But I cba to google it lol.

PS SAMMAGE TURN OFF YOUR DIRTY HAX

Ramini
hehe, thanks guys, I just thought he was a bit dodgy when playing so decided to spec, then by the time I remembered how to start a demo there wasn't too much time Wink
Not visited the frag thread in a while because it made me realise how bad at demoman I am in comparison last time I went there.
Is definitely a small world. I play on perhaps 3 servers regularly (since Ci dies around midnight) and whenever I have to pick a random one like last night theres always a few people I recognise on. Also, I used to play WoW in a guild, one of the guys bought TF2, first server he clicks on is the Ci server Grin

sick-lizard
can't remeber if you need sv_cheats 1 then you can use mat_wireframe 1 to see through walls etc when viewing demo's. Tbh have always found wireframe a tad ott, it was easier just to look for ppl tracking players through objects in normal mode, its very hard for somebody not to react to something they are seeing on screen Smile

Locke

sick-lizard wrote:
can't remeber if you need sv_cheats 1 then you can use mat_wireframe 1 to see through walls etc when viewing demo's. Tbh have always found wireframe a tad ott, it was easier just to look for ppl tracking players through objects in normal mode, its very hard for somebody not to react to something they are seeing on screen Smile

Devil is what I used to do for hacker spotting on CSS. and you do need SV_Cheats.
img238.imageshack.us/img238/4091/lockesig1po8.jpg

Epic Quotes from Mr Lazor - "time for a penis break". and "is crit japanese for clit?".

Jump to Forum