cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
Great Scot beats Rage Quitters in tense final
Don Pedro
big congratulations to Krakyn and Abunai for a great final where they just beat Zap and Meser 6-5. It was 5-5 going into the last minute, well played guys Smile

also big thanks to everyone who helped out, Mr G for the configs and server setup, huuge thanks to Say for doing much of the organising and of course the wicked posters(and all whilst taking my shit with only a few minor tantrums: "can you move that column over a bit?" - "NO! FUCK OFF!" etc etc). also our man who never takes any thanks, Mr Sick Lizard.

soooo COCONUT CUP 2???. It wont be for a month(2?) at least but do we have any suggestions for it? 3v3 arena? no medics? what you want to see? i think any more than 4 is not going to work, there won't be enough teams but we shall see.

I will sort the demos for those that asked for them, soon.

great fun well played everyone
www.gamingstuff.org/tf2sig.php/aid/DonPedro/tf2sig.png

yakuz
congrats! was awesome to watch. ty to don say and sick
all ican say is i'm definately signing up for no.2 even if i have to play with a blind man and a cripple.
As for the rules i would like to see something changed as having medic+soldier/pyro/demo 8/10 rounds was a bit annoying.
Is there anyway of having the healthpacks in so teams can concentrate more on other classes?

Don Pedro
i think no medic would be the way to do it

Fallen Seraph
I think the medic thing is a pretty hard call to make, tbh. Like, it obviously dominated the gameplay and sorta slowed things down a lot: but the tension made for awesome watching.

tomregev
I don't think we should rule out medics, after all it's a strategic decision that each team deals with and not an instant win move. Also by the way people talk the next match will probably be 3v3 (maybe 4v4 but it's a bit of a stretch) so medics won't have the same effect as they did this time.

I personally would like to see a 3v3 match one of each class max.

spaceboy
Played everyone was pretty awesome, much as it pained me to get so utterly trounced by Tom & Waffles :'( There were some great matches and awesome play. I reckon Krakyn and Abunai should get some sort of honourary extra tag in their names to show they're the current cup holders, like [CCC] at the end.. for Coconut Cup Champions!!!! Grin

NaughtyMe
Congrats to the winners...

...can we try and make it NOT a Sunday next time, I'd love to play in the next one.

I'm sure the swearing would be all the more intense in those Smile
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

Rofl teh cake
At least now I can claim that me and fefe would have won the first round, if we wouldn't have to fight the winners at the beginning. X)
I want to see a demo, if possible.

The Coconut cup was awesome, but maybe we should make something like a league, so that you don't get kicked out when you lose the first round.

Acegikmo
I don't know who suggested this, but someone did.

8 vs 8 flaregun only, everyone has 1 hp.

Sounds really fun. Smile

I guess you could vary it a bit, and have different rules.
Maybe have a melee only 8 vs 8 too.

Say
You have to realise though that you need people to organise it all. We did think about a league but the sheer amount of organisation that is needed and the amount of time it would take - it'd be crazy!!

fefe
I have a demo of the final, the first and second match .... call me Grin
www.lolbase.net/EU/feliox/signature/0b3daa520.png

Don Pedro
lets try to slow down a bit chaps lol. 8v8 would not work as there would only be maybe 3 teams. As I said before i think 4 players max would be doable but even so the difference in skill level could be HUGE, its more difficult for non clan members to organize 4 people. So i really think 3 should be the number. it will still add a big tactical change from 2v2 but not shrink the competition down too much.
A league is not really an option, too much grief to have it constantly running and people dropping out all the time etc. cup it is, just need to decide on the team numbers, class limits(if any) then we can decide map and dates etc

yakuz
I think definately a limit of one on medic and spy and maybe limit on 2 on all other classes? i don't know, really i love the idea of 3 soldiers rocket spamming Devil

I just get the feeling a team will fail if they dont have a medic to heal, which isn't a problem for me as i like medic but could draw the games out again

Edited by yakuz on 22-09-2008 17:56

Raven
gg chaos good cup
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

jem58
I'd advocate ml0. Though I couldn't watch the matches last night, it's pretty representative when in the final half the players were basically a perma-medic. Which is not to say it's unbeatable, it just makes for less interesting setups and more boring matches.

I think 2v2 might actually be the best size for a community like this - we got a full 16 teams of good server regulars, trying to get 16 for 3v3 could be tricky. 4v4+ is definitely pushing it. Doing a league would just be silly and too much hard work, functions much better as a cup. Could have a double-elimination setup though, so you have to lose twice to get knocked out (esl does this in their tf2 cups, probably other places too).

edit: oh and MASSIVE thankyous to fallen and krakyn for their excellent commentary work :D

Edited by jem58 on 22-09-2008 19:36

Vimsey
It was good fun.

Whatever you decide I am up for another one Grin.

Though I would prefer a better arena map. Granary arena is one of the most unpopular for a reason. One like Lumberyard which does have a small healthpack all be it in a precarious position. Or maybe one of the new custom arenas like mach.

I like the idea of double elimination even if it does take away my excuse of losing to a finalist Smile

Edited by Vimsey on 23-09-2008 18:22

krakyn
I did suggest way back at the concept stage ml 0 would be the way to go so it didn't become an uber race but to be fair several teams tried non medic combos and I was most worried facing Tom and Waffles when they were demo & scout.

Still I think if we stay at 2v2 we should go ml 0, if we move up to 3v3 ml 1 might work, a few test games could be run to try it out before hand.

Double elimination would take a lot longer to get through all the games so might be better for 3v3 than 2v2, sounds like a good idea though.

Also since this is the thread about the final w00t we won. Party

Abunai
Link to demos from sunday perhaps? ;o

alecom
Congrats you scottish chaps! I knew you could do it ;D
and thanks Don and Say for all your hard work (and Sick aswell).

Looking forward to the next one, 3v3 sounds good.
imo, 1 medic max and 1 spy max sounds good

Fens
I noticed that the 2v2 and 3v3 arena tourneys being run by a couple of the big TF2 leagues/communitys are all being played with no medics.

ml 0 makes sense, Seraph and Jem pretty much summed up why. Anyways, hopefully be around to enter the next one Smile

Jump to Forum