cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
Mic trouble in TF2
Abunai
Now, technically my mic works fine but i can hear myself in my headset and i reckon people on the other end (ie, you) would get feedback or whatever.

So i tried going into my soundcard program and fiddling there, no matter how little i turn it down it goes so quiet that no-one can hear it.

Then, I went into TF2 voice tab. I turn off boost and scroll outgoing volume down to about the fourth line from the right, I test this, and it's perfect. I click apply.

Then it doesn't save.
Ever.

I had this problem with binding talk to mouse5 but i fixed that with an autoexec.cfg, but I don't know the commands for changing mic volume or boost.

Anyone know these commands, or better, know a way to get my stupid options menu to save the changes I make?
i32.tinypic.com/1zqpwyv.jpg

Sammage
-One thing that might work, if you can bring up the mixer or volume controls on some soundcards there will be a 'what you hear' option, turn that all the way down. if that option is there that will solve it.

-Also in volume controls there might be one for mic so every sound over the mic is played through the headphones. Muting that will stop the problem if it's just on your end, if everyone else is hearing the feedback too then it's not that.

My mic problem was that all the sounds the computer was outputting was going through the mic, but I didn't have the 'what you hear' volume control. Solved it by plugging the headphones directly into the computer rather than through a mixer, making them stupidly loud, then reducing the master volume to almost nothing. So I'm still transmitting the what you hear stuff but it's so quiet that no-one can hear it. I dunno how viable that solution is for you.

Steam volume control is such a finnicky hit or miss bastard that I try not to change it, BUT if you open up a chat window with a friend, start voice chat, THEN make the changes, it MIGHT save. Maybe.

MAYBE.

Abunai
Seems to have worked, shall test in more in TF2 tomorrow Grin

Thanks sammage!
i32.tinypic.com/1zqpwyv.jpg

Mike
I had the exact same problem the other week. My mic sounds horrible in-game and the enable boost kept checking itself. I thought it was because of my cheapy crappy £10 mic from game so I stopped using it. I'll try this later.

yakuz
I had same problems with steam voice thingy not saving
You have to change it manually in your config.cfg

voice_scale "1" is full volume
voice_scale "0.5" is half

i changed this a long time agobut my mic had other problems so it still dosn't work
(buying a new one today Grin)

Hope it works, theres two ways it can go, either it will change your voice volume or everyone elses i'm not sure so you might have to change back.

secondly while searching config for this command i found this one.
voice_forcemicrecord "0"
might be something to do with the feedback problem i would check its on 0 although i dont know what it is

NaughtyMe
Whoaaaa Yakuz - get that sig smaller - shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

Zap

naughtyme wrote:
Whoaaaa Yakuz - get that sig smaller - shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

that could go as a wallpaper D:
img237.imageshack.us/img237/7803/scoutbombcopygw0.jpg

Clever Idiot
lol removed that wallpaper for a sig! Please resize.

yakuz
sorry about that
and thanks for removing it for me, after i posted i went straight back on this thread and couldn't see anything in my sig area so assumed it had failed.
Sorted now...i think..

Edited by yakuz on 02-08-2008 15:28

Jump to Forum