cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
64bit XP?
Locke
OK as you all know one of my ram sticks died recently, so I got some new sticks, 2x2GB.

Windows only recognised 2.75gb of ram on standard 32bit. So I was woundering is it worth upgrading to 64bit XP....Has the driver support been imporved?
img238.imageshack.us/img238/4091/lockesig1po8.jpg

Epic Quotes from Mr Lazor - "time for a penis break". and "is crit japanese for clit?".

agrippa
ive personally not met anyone who was satisfied with a 64xp os. No horror stories, but a few bad ones.

NaughtyMe
I'll let this man help you:

http://askbobrankin.com/should_i_upgr...p_x64.html

I don't think it would be wise really.
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

sick-lizard

naughtyme wrote:

That article is so old it may no longer be valid, I would tbh expect vista64 to be a safer bet, just because of the drivers alone.

Why is your windows not showing 3gigs plus like the rest of using too much RAM in a 32bit os?

NaughtyMe

sick-lizard wrote:

naughtyme wrote:

That article is so old it may no longer be valid, I would tbh expect vista64 to be a safer bet, just because of the drivers alone.

Why is your windows not showing 3gigs plus like the rest of using too much RAM in a 32bit os?

True, I know very little about XP64...I just Googled
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

Kendrick
xp 64 worked great for me. well as well as possible considering it is a ms product. I wouldent touch fista even if work told me to Wink

I have had minimal problems with x64. natural selection would be about the only thing that i know will or atleast had a problem with x64 and server 2k3. it would play proper but the commander menus would not show up and some hud items were dim. that is a programming error on ns's side.

you may or may not notice the difference between 3 and 4 gb though. some people can get thier systems to scream but sneaze wrong and they notice the 2 or 3 fps missing Wink if you only get your system working well you wont notice the difference.

sofar ive run tf2 in xp 32/64 server 2k3 and linux started with 1gb of ram it all ran well. went to 5gb a month or so agao and havent notice much a difference. though i have forgotten to add the switch to use more memory for heap :/ sould go look that command back up and try it

frosty
64bit vista is rock solid from my experiance, vista got a bad rep for no readily apparent reason as far as i can see,

my experiance installing it - stick in the disc - watch some tv while occasionly dealing witha few propmpts from it, 30-45 mins later its done, complete with drivers, only driver it didnt find by itself was the soundcards - & that's not an issue with microsoft but with creative and their half assed driver policy, creative's xfi soundcards (as advertised "sounds best on xfi" on numerous games) are badly supported not even working out of the box with games that they are advertised as being made for, creative spends a bunch of money on advertising and hardly and on hardware support & as you dont find this out till you've spent your money they are quite happy

kinda made me think that the whole "vista nightmare!" was a well executed pr plan from those poison apple's

Edited by frosty on 26-10-2008 04:22

krakyn
Part of the whole vista nightmare comes from the fact that MS were going to launch it gave it to a security firm and were then told it was full of holes big enough to drive a bus through so everything got put back. Its an OS designed in bits by people all over the world and it shows. Mute

frosty
if it shows, i honestly cant see it,

is your opinion based on personal experiance? or an echo of something you read somewhere?

admitedly i started using the os after service pack 1 - so i guess a lot may have been fixed.

Mr G
The software does nt do anything wrong often or not its the user thats making mistakes. Vista does what it says on the tin and does nt do much more which is what XP did for win32 / insert old OS title here.

Ive installed so many OS I really dont give a shit, it now comes down to which install best and with the least attention.
Id rather be smoking my self stupid than digging around for crap on the net to get a pc post screening. Smile

Oh and I passed on XP 64bit for vista 64bit. (Ati drivers stopping are my only bitch about the vista - but then again that might be driver/hardware releated)

Edited by Mr G on 26-10-2008 07:40

sick-lizard
if I could find a decent media centre for xp I would ditch vista in a heartbeat, fed up of various issues, like the inabliity to be able to handle large data merges.. its another 2000/xp senario, the finished version will be windows 7...

gori11a
Vista not a lot different from XP for me probably coz i dont do much other than Media/surfing/gaming, if i had to pick an OS now i would have gone for the 64 version.

BTW:Vista sp2 in testing
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/win...-beta.aspx
if only i had something funny or clever to put here........

tijlehto
Used vista 64-bit for a long time now, better than it's reputation once you got the hardware to run it. So far only applications I've found which don't work on it are metaboli and gametap, which both use the same Exent virtual drive driver for their DRM jail setup.

And finally it does away with the memory addressing issues. As a rule of thumb for 32-bit OS: amount available for operating system memory addressing = physical memory amount - address space of all addin cards. Or in plain language, if you got a crossfire or SLI setup with cards with lot of memory on them on a 32 bit operating system(with 3GB+ RAM) ,your ram is hosed.

sick-lizard
you can use PAE switch in boot.ini (xp) so xp can use above 2 gig for apps Grin first 2 gigs is for the OS Grin still doesn't totally get round the 32bit addressing system but helps Smile

Jump to Forum