cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
New rig!! Help needed
CenTinela
Well, next monday i've last exam (Grin) so im thinking on give me a present Pfft

I've some questions:

- Quad or C2D? I'll use it on CSS and maybe TF2. I know CSS only uses one core (C2D better here) what about TF2?

- ddr2 (2x2GB 1066) or ddr3 (2x1 1333)?

- Wich mobo is best quality/priced?

- 8800GT? or i look on amd?

All this with about 750€ (592.9 of ur fuckin strange money Pfft).

I'll buy new power supply, case, etc too but thats easier Pfft

Thanks in advance!

mrbreckles
Well, i fyou have the money, you can go quad for future proofing BUT id say you're better off with a decent dual-core cos thats gonna last you a good while, and then go quad the couple of years time when a quad is needed.
If you can OC the 4gig ram id go with that rather than the 2gig of ddr3.
And the graphics card, if possible with the money saved from not getting a quad core, go with the gtx rather than the gt, or even the 8800ultra.

CenTinela
What about mobos?

mrbreckles

CenTinela wrote:
What about mobos?

I really dont know about mobos.
Ive always asked for advice when it comes to those.

sick-lizard
I'll let you know centi..want to check how frostie got on with his reading up.. & 1nten5e is after new kit too Smile

Izzard
Relatively few apps are coded to make full use of dual cores, let alone four. You can get a considerably faster dual core processor for the same money as a quad core. Unless you're using heavy-duty CAD apps or 3D animation and rendering your money is probably better spent on faster clock speeds.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it's all about?

sick-lizard

Izzard wrote:
Relatively few apps are coded to make full use of dual cores, let alone four. You can get a considerably faster dual core processor for the same money as a quad core. Unless you're using heavy-duty CAD apps or 3D animation and rendering your money is probably better spent on faster clock speeds.

Spoken like sombody who only runs one application at a time & can't right click set affinty in task manager Grin...but i would agree most users would be fine with 1 or 2 fast cores..the higher the front side bus the better

I love my four cores, but I do use em! have even played the odd Tf2 clan game forgetting that I'm running a virtual domain with complete with 2008 PDC & xp client..

nax23
700€

Intel E8400 Boxed
_Alternativ: Intel E8200 Boxed

ASUS P5Q Pro
_Alternativ: MSI P35 Neo2-FIR oder Abit IP35 oder Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 oder Foxconn P35A-S

4GB A-DATA Vitesta 800MHz CL5
_Alternativ: 4GB OCZ 1000MHz CL5

HD 4850

Enermax PRO82+ 425W
_Alternativ: Seasonic S12II 430W oder be Quiet! Straight Power 450W oder Seasonic M12II 430W (KM)

Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB
_Alternativ: Samsung F1 640GB oder Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB

LG GH20NS
_Alternativ: Samsung SH-S223F oder ASUS DRW-2014L1T

Edited by nax23 on 27-06-2008 15:30

frosty

sick-lizard wrote:
I'll let you know centi..want to check how frostie got on with his reading up.. & 1nten5e is after new kit too Smile

i went for

DFI LANPARTY LT X48-T2R -> it recieved the best review from clunk for a mobo of that class, admittedly a bit more costly than some of the others, but from all accounts it should run straight out of the box with little or no tinkering from me, its got plenty of options and a pretty comprehensive guide on clocking the cpu up past 3ghz & it has small incremental adjustments available thru the bios so i can take things gently

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 SLACR -> is a gamble as far as i can c , but getting these things up to 3ghz seems to work 99% of the time , its gets a bit less likely past 3.2 tho, the pre tested q6600's from oc.co.uk were in the region of £50-£90 more tho, the SLACR's got a bad rep for oc'ing on some bb's as they dont tend to clock instanly so well as the previous generation of q6600's, so this may have been a bad choice

620W Corsair HX -> very quiet & 5yr warrenty

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme -> so big it may work with no fan @ some cpu speeds , tho i am gonna have to spin the thing 90' or file off part of the NB heatsink to get it to fit (flat mates toolkit is now missing a file lol)

8GB Corsair TwinX TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF -> k may be a bit excessive, but this should keep vista & AOC happy at the same time keeping the strain from the hdd's (i killed my first ever hdd in 6 months due to a lack of ram, xp & ac2 kept the thing so busy the motor died)

2x 500 GB Seagate ST3500320NS Barracu -> for raid 0

2x 120mm Sharkoon 2000 "Golf Ball" -> with a bit of luck may be able to make do with just one of these , not intending on breaking any speed records with this machine, faster n quieter than what i have atm is the goal

am looking to go for 3ghz with the ram @ 1066ish

gfx card -> i'm sticking with my 8800gt till i go for some kinda xfire thing in a yr or so

n it all arrives 2morrow !!

n if this all seems a bit miss matched its my first go a choosing components Shock

Edited by frosty on 27-06-2008 17:11

sick-lizard
I have the Q6600 G0 SLACR works nice here.. 8 gig o ram! lol!

mrbreckles
One of the guys in my clan has had this rig for a while, and i still think it smashes everyones i know of.

CPU = QX9650 (quad core can't beat it for multi-tasking!!) hooking into it's own water cooling loop
Mobo = Asus Striker II Formula nForce 780i
Graphics = 2x Geforce 8800Ultras Black Pearl editions, factory fitted with waterblocks and cooled individually.
RAM = 8gb
HDD = 1x 150GB Western Digital RaptorX
Cooling = 3x ThermalTake BigWater (includes reservoir, pump and radiator)
OS = Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Sound = Well it's the onboard sound for the moment, but I have Creative FATAL1TY headet to listen to you guys with.
Monitor = 2 x Dell 20" 4x3 monitors (disabled most of the time, just love SLI) and 1x Dell 24" Widescreen.
Case = Silver Lian Li V2100 Plus

CenTinela
Omg! thats a really expensive rig! lol

I like nax options.

Thiking on this now:

-C2D 8400
- Asus P5E
- 2x2Gb OCZ (or G.SKill or GEIL) 1066
- 9800 GTX (maybe im waiting for new one or 4870)

Thats about 700€.

And with:

- WD Raptor 150Gb
- A quiet power supply of about 550/600W
- Thermalright Ultra-120 (I've SI120 now and like it so much).
- Im looking for a new case, but will be difficult to find one cause i dont like usual cases.
- Some quiet fans.

Edited by CenTinela on 27-06-2008 22:39

Jump to Forum