cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » idle chat
 Print Thread
Gary Gygax Dungeons & Dragons Creator Dies
Tinger
US, March 4, 2008

The family of Gary Gygax will never have to struggle when it comes to describing the father of six. Gygax, co-creator of Dungeons and Dragons, died this morning at his home in Lake Geneva, Wis., and since the news broke, colleagues, friends and family -- such as his wife Gail Gygax -- have been fielding questions about the RPG pioneer's life.

"How would I describe my husband?" Gail Gygax wondered aloud this morning with a laugh. "My son says stubborn."

Beyond the inner-family ribs, Gail Gygax described her husband as a creative man who loved his family, coworkers, games and fans -- a number of which sprung from when Gygax and Dave Arneson created Dungeons & Dragons.

"He liked to challenge [gamers] to think outside of the box," Gail Gygax said.

Gygax would go on to create a plethora of different games and write a handful of books, but the D&D franchise would forever be synonymous with his career even though his direct involvement with the product ended in 1985. The 69-year-old leaves behind a legacy of fantasy that affected the lives of everyone who played in the world he helped create. While an official cause of death was not available as of press time, news sources report that Gygax had been in poor health, suffering multiple strokes and a near-heart attack.

Gary Gygax will be missed by fans worldwide.Gygax, best known in the D&D community as the "father of role-playing games," helped in the creation of an entirely new kind of hobby, one which began on the game board and evolved into a multi-player online experience which attracts millions of players, according to D&D's official online home page. Beyond the physical RPGs, Gygax's influence took hold in the videogame world as D&D titles such as Pool of Radiance, the Gold Box series and D&D on Intellivision clearly spring boarded from his original creation.

starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/article/856/856728/gary-gygax-20080304001855014.jpg

source
http://uk.stars.ign.com/articles/856/...728p1.html

Edited by Tinger on 05-03-2008 10:03

nax23
very sad Sad
i like the whole D&D universe especially AD&D and Neverwinter Nights

-un-faithful
played d&D since i was a kid, hats off to the man.
Chill =]

Clever Idiot
failed his con roll then

Dam sad news , was a real hero to me as a kid.

FuZz

freelancer wrote:
failed his con roll then

Oh dear free, that was poor Pfft

But yeah, sad loss Sad Many an hour have I spent engrossed in D&D in my time, which wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for him.
img80.imageshack.us/img80/7185/userbar522753bs9.gif

Jump to Forum