cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
CS 2
Tinger
Counter-Strike 2 to Get TF2 Makeover?

Valve on Counter-Strike 2.

by Jimmy Thang

US, March 3, 2008 - Years after its release, Counter-Strike still remains the most popular online PC shooter. Valve has left many wondering whether or not Counter Strike 2 will make a comeback, but if an interview with Valve over at Gametrailers.com is any indication, we shouldn't be asking ourselves if the game will come out, but when.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrail...&ch=1&sd=0

In the interview, Doug Lombardi, Valve's marketing director, said, "We will never abandon Counter-Strike." When asked why its taking so long to pull out a sequel to one of the most anticipated shooters of all time, Lombardi responds "It's a little bit unfair to compare Counter-Strike, I think, to your classic game that's gonna have these sequels. It looks a little bit more like an MMO where it's constantly [being updated]." Gabe Newell, founder and managing director of games development over at Valve, assured enthusiasts that Counter-Strike is a very important franchise to the company and that it's certainly not going to fade away anytime soon.

There is obviously much thought being put into the development of Counter-Strike 2 as Valve is really taking the time to consider its approach to the franchise. "With Counter-Strike 2, there's a big question between: do we go start over from scratch and build this whole new game, do we do something that looks more like Team Fortress 2 that is rooted in the old game but has a ton of new stuff, or do we just sort of take everything that's new that we've released and put that out in a new box?" Lombardi said.

Traditional CS players might be a little off put to hear Lombardi add, "I think we're leaning more towards the two more radical places than just sort of rolling up the new box and re-skinning the box and putting out all the new stuff."

Does that mean Counter-Strike 2 will end up looking like Team Fortress 2 in the art department? "Oh, I doubt that" Lombardi said, laughing.

Will we at least see Counter-Strike 2 in some sort of sequel to The Orange Box? According to Newell, there are currently no plans to put Counter-Strike 2 in the next Orange Box, however he did say, "But if I get 15,000 emails from customers in response to this interview telling me, 'Of course it should be in [the next Orange Box],' then of course we'll pay attention to that."

So there you have it, send your emails to Valve letting them know you want your Counter-Strike 2 in with your next iteration of The Orange Box.

source
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/856/856...566p1.html

Clever Idiot
Well ya thin they would try and get all the CS players playing CSS before they call it CS2 lol way more players in the CS base than the CSS one lol. gl valve personly i think they are talking out there asses and just want another cash cow.

FuZz
Unfortunately due to the nature of the CS community, and the game developing die-hard fans of specific incarnations of the game, I can never really see any "new" version of CS being anywhere near as successful.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that given the time valve would churn out something fantastic, but I just know that the majority of the current scene will shun it without even giving it the time of day. Same thing that happened with source, and the reason that loads of kiddies still play 1.6
img80.imageshack.us/img80/7185/userbar522753bs9.gif

agrippa
fuzz i dont think thats something exclusive to CS community, i think its large games communities in general. Quake 1 and 2 i seem to remember had this problem, bf2 and 2142 (and soon BFH) had the same issue as well. Perhaps its a testiment to the quility of TF2 that the TFC diehards moaning has been vv limited.

Edited by agrippa on 04-03-2008 13:31

Jump to Forum