cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
PYRO UPDATE THURSDAY
Cpt Obvious

AgrippA wrote:
apparently the number of achivements needed fo reach unlock has been lowered to 10, 15 and 20 (from 15, 20 and 25 i think).

that would be good, less need to farm, so more people playing seriously.

nicolastheadept
That's a brilliant idea, now if only they would apply that retroactively to the medics.

Raven
Pyro update is beginnning Smile
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

Tinger
Removed Soldier's 40% damage reduction from his own rockets. Does not affect rocket jumps

LOL

Fallen Seraph
yeah, how's that gonna work?

also, wow. the hadouken taunt now KILLS people. that's gonna be funny.

jem58
Just means that soldiers are going to be punished for point-blank rockets. tbh I didn't realise there was any reduction to begin with Pfft

Cold
i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa210/jmac105/nomnomnommf0.gif
sounds tasty!!
i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa210/jmac105/nomnomnommf0.gif

Ramini
Oh aye, thats why a rocket splats a scout but a soldier only takes about 40 damage from it. I'm guessing they're leaving any splash damage the soldier takes from hitting the walls as is but any rocket that hits a player isnt reduced.

ShiftyJaffa
I don't like this, it will mean soldiers will be reduced to firing mid/long range only. Soldiers are already as slow as the heavy and the rockets are so slow people can walk out of the way Sad.

I assume if you are being attacked by a pyro at close range and you want to rocket jump out of the way, if the pyro takes a hit, you will take the full force of the blast.

Mr G

ShiftyJaffa wrote:
I assume if you are being attacked by a pyro at close range and you want to rocket jump out of the way, if the pyro takes a hit, you will take the full force of the blast.

problem is if the pyro air blast as you look down the jump fails , leaves you looks down and thinking wtf by which time the pyro got a shotty in and closed back into flame range.....if pyros good enough they still go puff quiet well..

but original point about med and long range is well put forth, vs a sniper a solider is reduced to spam and run. now with CQC its going to require more skill for the solider. For you shiffty it will be a minor change to gameplay to n00b solider it means alot more self destructions Smile

Edited by Mr G on 20-06-2008 09:41

Ramini
I've had so much fun today reflecting soldiers rockets back at them. The cooldown on the reflect is slightly higher than on the rockets so spam will get through, the best way to hit a pyro is still to aim at his feet. Theres nothing quite so satisfying as seeing a crit rocket come at you in the face then turning it around into the cluster of enemies approaching. Its not just a reflect too, the rocket goes where you're aiming so you can funnel a soldier's rockets into something more dangerous.

The flare gun seems like the critzkrieg to me, it has its uses but they aren't as useful as the shotty. Once I get the axetinguisher though things might change.

Raven

Ramini wrote:

The flare gun seems like the critzkrieg to me, it has its uses but they aren't as useful as the shotty.

Yeah i agree it does very little damage but is useful against snipers and engineers

vadoom
With the backburner (which is often very effective), pyros are going to play exactly like spies do, hiding in corners, behind objects. This is exciting!

Raven
Yeah also when ur fighting most people roate around the eniemy squeezing a back crit in Smile

Mr G

Raven wrote:
Yeah also when ur fighting most people roate around the eniemy squeezing a back crit in Smile

We know you love it from behind mate , but suppose it pays to advertise a little more .,.,.

Raven

Mr G wrote:

Raven wrote:

We know you love it from behind mate , but suppose it pays to advertise a little more .,.,.

I do i do as much as cold Cool

Cold
Shock

Sammage
The soldier damage reduction thing, I tried a little experiment to work out what triggered it.

It seems that if your feet are on the ground, you will take mega damage shooting a wall or floor. If you are even a little bit in the air, you will get the normal damage reduction.

So all you need to do in close range combat is jump before you fire every rocket. You'll go flying a lot but you'll get the old damage reduction

Armacoast
Yep get the same results!! But you can say what you want that fix goes under the "don't need that" Topic!!!

And here are a vid how shows a new sport that can be done with the pyros.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIoA9d...re=related

Edited by Armacoast on 21-06-2008 10:49

i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Armacoast/9b3200whoa.gif

Ramini
Very nice Smile

The flare gun I also find awesome for clearing straight walkways plus it does a huge amount of damage really, my soldier was hit by one and lost something like 150hp with the burn.

The backburner is possibly overpowered, havent used it myself yet but it seems that as long as you're aiming at someones back you get crits. Therefore you can take out a small army if one guy turns around. Also it now means you HAVE to face the pyro if hes in range rather than deal with what might be more of a threat to your team.
2 Uses I want to find out about:
Uber + backburner. the instinct is to run like hell away from ubers, surely not a good idea any more? Smile
Doorway blocking. 2 pyros flaming either side of a doorway, can't be hit by anything but a demoman and anyone coming through the door has to face one of them exposing his back to the other.

Jump to Forum