cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
L4D Blog
Ramini
Same author Rofl Grin Wasn't in the book shop or I would have bought it

Rofl teh cake
I know it's the same author, I'm planning to buy WW Z, can you tell me if it's any good?

That Zombie Survival Guide is the weapon Nr 1 I'd use against the living dead, I couldn't believe it that this is supposed to be a parody on all those Survival Guides flying around in the US. And I won't believe it. Because zombies exist. They do.

Ramini
Its good so far but I only read the first few pages on the way home. I can't think of to many zombie movies though. Theres the Living dead series, the 28 series, shaun of the dead and black sheep (it counts!) The resident evil films too I suppose but they still count as games. What am I missing out?

MESER
what about the classic cult movie "brain dead" covers it all zombie babies, zombie priest bonin a zombie nurse... film was so bad it was greatGrin
YouTube Video

Edited by MESER on 15-10-2008 08:48

Ramini
*blinks* Needs more gore

Mr G
One of Peter Jackson better movies imho

Rofl teh cake
Planet Terror. A woman with a minigun as her leg? I would marry her and let her fuck me with that thing spinning.

Zap
gah its only 8:53 am in valve time but:

now it says "This game will unlock in approximately 1 month, 5 days and 17 hours"

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
img237.imageshack.us/img237/7803/scoutbombcopygw0.jpg

tomregev
Physical: B
Mental: B
Experience: C
Emotional: F
Overall: Z+

Speaking zombie guides, a friend of mine once wrote a military directive for a zombie outbreak. He detailed troop deployment, supply lines, resource rationing, evacuation plans, fortifying instructions... pretty much anything you'd need. The only flaw I could find in it was that he denied the existing of fast zombies and therefor didn't include ways for dealing with them.

Ramini
I'm about halfway into World War Z now, its a really good book. Scary how much research he must have done. Trying to keep sort of spoiler free. Covers most conventional tactics of spread/fighting, some methods of the virus spreading I hadn't even thought of. The book takes the form of interviews with different people who took part in the war. Mostly just them telling what happened but with the occasional question to spur them on. They might mention something in passing that they don't go into, seems like a normal conversation. For example one guy mentions a "Flight 575" in the same way we might mention 9/11. To anyone living at the time they know exactly what it is so for us we have to imagine.

Chapter 1 is about the spread, raises some ideas I'd never thought.. I always considered an island the ultimate safety for example. Chapter 2 is about "The Great Panic", people running and getting away from cities, life as a refugee and the plans to survive. Chapter 3 so far is set entirely in the US and details the military and political response to the zombie threat. Its by no means a guide book but it shows what the military started off using as weaponry and what they ended up using.

As far as the zombies themselves are concerned these are the traditional type: slow, but walking pace. If we do ever get fast zombies that will be bad. Since zombies don't tire a person on foot would be screwed. In the past I'd thought there were 3 "safe" places vs a zombie. Island with a water barrier: useless according to the book. Obstructions: Zombies wriggle through small holes in improvised barricades - don't mind if they lose some skin. Solid walls are the only way and thats hard on a wide scale. Height: zombies can't climb, best defense, unfortunately what you're supported on can be broken or you wake up to find a sea of zombies underneath you.

Anyway back to the book I go Pfft

Mike
$45 for pre-order l4d. A bit much imo

Edited by Mike on 16-10-2008 13:55

spaceboy

Mike wrote:

You reckon? £26? How much do games usually cost these days?

Flying

Spaceboy wrote:

Mike wrote:

You reckon? £26? How much do games usually cost these days?

26 is actually spot on. It'll retail between 25 and 30 quid. It's 26.99 at Play.com.

Then again you're forgetting the taxes. 45 dollar is indeed 26 quid but they charge the UK VAT rate of 19%, which makes it about 31 quid.

But I'm going to buy it through Steam anyways, even if it's only for the sake of being able to preload it and play instantly when the game is out. They might even let people who preordered play before the retailers, like they did with TF2 (even though that was a 'beta'Wink.

Edited by Flying on 16-10-2008 15:15

Control yourself
Take only what you need from him

Mike
$55 incl VAT.

Still, £30 for a multiplayer only game is a bit too much. Even GAME is cheaper than that. What's happening to the world? Shock

Rofl teh cake
IT'S L4D, IT HAS ZOMBIES AND SHIT, STOP BITCHING AND BUY IT.

Humi
$51.74 incl VAT muhahaha Moon

Undead2k
Physical: B
Mental: D
Experience: F
Emotional: F

Overall: A

I fail. How I got a B in physical I have no idea. :X

I think im going to have to buy the retail version instead of the steam version Sad. I dont like the idea of having to download L4D after each format. That and I would have to download it for 4 different PCs as well as updates and crap. Surely installing from a CD is quicker anyway?

This will be most enjoyable on the LAN :3
Have they announced how the 2 modes will work on the PC yet? (Campaign and VS?)

Ramini
I just finished WWZ, really, go get it.
Decided to keep the zombie motif going by watching 28 days later and suddenly my image of the film is shattered. He wanders through london yelling and setting off car alarms and yet attracts no attention? The rebels fight off the zombies using fire. Woot flaming zombies. Amateurs!!!!

Ramini
I take it back about there not being many zombie films:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category...mbie_films

Rofl teh cake
Seriously, biggest noobs ever.
AT LEAST GET A SCOPED CROWBAR TO BEAT THEM UP IN THE FAR RANGE LOL.

Jump to Forum