cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
tf2 tips
Say
here comes the Agrippa hunting evening Pfft

NaughtyMe

Roadpizzza wrote:
thanks for the insights agrippa,it's all useful stuff. although i have to admit that it has also made being killed by a spy slightly more painful 'cus now when i get killed by one i think, "agrippa warned against exactly that happening....". cheers dude.

Yes, this has happened several times - except the sneaky bastard captured on the kill-cam was Agrippa each and every time. On one occasion a demoman on the stairs up from the sewers on 2Fort. As I went down I thought it a bit strange that the demo was watching me and not firing...and wow someone else has gone demo tonight.....and aieeeeeeeeeee...dead.

Edited by NaughtyMe on 18-01-2008 11:53

Tim
A very simple one that I still see some people not doing: Engineers, rotate your teleporter exits! Time and again I enter a teleporter, to be facing a wall when I emerge, not handy. Rotate them to the general direction that I should then be running to, please!

Also, one for medics. It's often beneficial to go first, when ubering. This way the medic can take the knockback of any sentries, while the ubered demoman can accurately place his sticky bombs and quickly dispatch them all.

Ramini
Someone said that medic ubering tip on the server today quite useful, don't think it matter too much for heavies though as they are (heavy).
Someone else also had a go at me for not rotating too Smile I'd put it back to front and they thought I'd built a teleporter backwards into our base rather than right up in a quiet corner.

I'm blaming Agrippa now then for all my spy deaths. Some of us aren't quite that good yet though the paranoia thing makes me feel good. I'm also going to go round staring at everyone on my team though now just to render that annoying bit of info obsolete.

jem58
Good tips agrippa. Another good way to detect a spy is to literally run through every team mate you see. You'll often find a spy by luck, and face-to-face you have good odds against a spy, no matter the class. A tell-tale sign is when you see a player on your team closely tail another - many spies set their focus on one target and just try to kill it no matter the surroundings. Probably the most useful tip is to just remain observant all the time - while spectating you notice the ridiculous amount of spy signals that the majority of players seem to be oblivious to.

Oh, and if you want to be an incredibly annoying spy then on Well if you camp around your opponents spawn and run away it seriously gets on people's nerves. Most decent spies don't do this kind of point-whoring, but sometimes you'll find idiots prancing around (mostly darkhan in this case tbh)

As for tips for different classes, a useful one for demomen and soldiers is to always predict the movements of your enemy, since obviously with rockets and stickies theres a significant delay between clicking and landing a shot. As a demoman that comes in handy for sticky-shooting - figure out where your opponent is most likely to head, and pre-empt his move. You'll often end up trapping players which can be extremely amusing. Oh, and when you see a soldier/heavy/demo + medic combo just concentrate entirely on the medic and try to dodge the shots, although its always more tempting to return fire to where its coming from. Taking down a 450hp heavy on your own is a total mission, so just sever the support heh (sorry meser if this leads to more deaths heh).

Thats common knowledge for all regular players I guess though, so I doubt its much use here Wink

Say
am still proud of the shooting the invisable spy by pure fluke Pfft

Aimed at a sniper went for the body shot as wasn't quick enough to aim for the head *bang* *headshot on spy* "eh?!" "awesome" Grin

agrippa
Spy vs Spy::

For some reason spys have a habit of going after eachother, personally i think its a waste of time but hey Sick IF you are a spy and you see an enemy spy first thing to do always is to tell your team. Say what the disguise is, who they are disguised as and where they are/where they are going. After that IMO there isnt much more you should do, most of the time you will be running the same speed as the other spy so you will be forever trying to catch up with him for teh backstab Sick OC there will be some certain situations where killing any spy before they reach your team is vital (protecting intel that is halfway to an enemy base?), but its up to you really.

If you do decide to tangle with another spy go to pistols, but dont start shooting right away. If youve spotted him before hes spotted you then you will probably be able to fall in behind him while he runs, which mean when you start shooting the traget will have no relative movement to you and will be dead easy to hit. Also if your behind them and shart shooting you shoud be able to rattle off 3 well aimed shots that should hit before the the other guy reacts at all. While they figure out whats going on and what they should do you can probably finish the job with the pistol. IMO this is a fairly good approach for taking on other soft targets like medics and snipers, wouldnt suggest it aganist heavy stuff tho Pfft

Also i know Darkhan plays spy alot, resist the temptation to chase him, i promise you its not worht it when you do kill him.

BTW to any engineers out there, when a spy starts sapping your turrent, what do you do normally, go after the spy with the wrench or hit the sapper? If they keep sapping over and over do u keep hitting the sapper and wait for help or start going after the spy? IM asking 'cause its something i always seem to misjudge, infact ive had engineers chin me with a wrench more times than i care to count Sad

Edited by agrippa on 22-01-2008 02:11

Ramini
Yeah I need to get a new mic I think, you telling us who the spies were today must have been hell for the other team. To me a spy is a vital part of the team, the other team is jumpy, gets less ubercharged, the engys don't dare leave turrets and lone members get picked off. Having the spy as practically a guy with a normal melee weapon by you scouting was so much easier Pfft
Of course good spies know how to blend in as the other team and can spot the worse spies easier and I know I'm more laidback about switching my diguise and using cloak when i think its my teammate watching me.

I'm kind of a jack of all trades master of none though but when the spy saps my sentry I usually hit it twice to remove the first sapper then chase him. Chances are he will have been killed while I'm removing it or run off or him backstabbing me will result in him facing a level 3 sentry while uncloaked. If the spy sticks around sapping I abandon the sentry completely until I can chase him off or kill him with the spanner. Spies who sap while standing on the other side to me really irritate me Sick

Tim

AgrippA wrote:BTW to any engineers out there, when a spy starts sapping your turrent, what do you do normally, go after the spy with the wrench or hit the sapper? If they keep sapping over and over do u keep hitting the sapper and wait for help or start going after the spy? IM asking 'cause its something i always seem to misjudge, infact ive had engineers chin me with a wrench more times than i care to count Sad

Well I play engineer a fair bit, it depends really. Normally I'll just scream out for help and hope that a team mate comes by. However if I'm on my own, the only real choice is to go after the spy. If the spy continually saps my sentry and dispenser, and I continue to whack them off, I'll eventually lose a building, or both of them. So statistically it's better for me to kill the spy (or make him run away) before returning to try and rescue my dispenser and sentry.

Engineers are very protective of their buildings, and hate it when they get destroyed, so I understand an engineer constantly trying to whack the sappers off, but it's doomed to fail. If the spy is allowed to stay alive, the engy will lose a building.

This reminds me of something else, a useful tip for soldiers and demomen, being a good team mate to an engineer. If an ubered demoman comes in range of my sentry, don't shoot him to try and blow him away. If he knows what he's doing he's going to be laying stickies down at my sentry. Therefore, a really good thing for you to do is shoot at my sentry, get those stickies dispersed and it'll mean I can save my sentry.

sick-lizard
when a spy comes I try to protect the dispenser over eyerything else as if this is charged I can rebuild a level 3 pretty quick, it depends where the spy is standing quite often i can hit the spy & heal my kit, as i treat em as extra bit of kit with the wrench Smile

Raven
lol spy v spy ill see u there Agrippa Pfft
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

Megalomania
Yep, I do the same as engi: hit off the sapper then go after the spy, or if he keeps at it put a few shotgun shells in his face. But I usually find that the vast majority of the time your stuff is destroyed because you leave it unattended or because they do that annoying stab-sap thing very quick. In either case there isn't much you can do.
img401.imageshack.us/img401/9208/tf2sigtz5.png

Don Pedro
a medic tip i someone mentioned the other day (maybe reita?)
If ubering a demo or soldier to take out a sentry, if the medic stands closest or right in front of the sentry then the sentry aims for the medic leaving the soldier/demo alone to hit the target without getting blasted away. worked a few times for me

Clever Idiot
Also the medic is best clear of line of sight of the 'back up mob' behind who should take the opportunity to come out of hiding as the main fire will be on the medic......

but this is null by the daft medic who soaks the crits with the back of his head or even worse stands right in front of said pyro/heavy he is uber'ing and blocks the shot completely.

grrr...trust in your meser he knows whats best for both ya asses. but mainly his own.

Edited by Clever Idiot on 22-01-2008 15:00

NaughtyMe

Don Pedro wrote:
a medic tip i someone mentioned the other day (maybe reita?)
If ubering a demo or soldier to take out a sentry, if the medic stands closest or right in front of the sentry then the sentry aims for the medic leaving the soldier/demo alone to hit the target without getting blasted away. worked a few times for me

me....however, I cannot take the full credit. I read the tip on the main Steam website a month or so ago - it made me go...."oh, yeah!". It was worth mentioning at the time, 3rd level of Dustbowl. I was watching demos flying all over the place.

On a related tip - for this particular level, if you uber, say, two demos, you should send the medics first, then their demo's AND THEN the rest of the team behind them. The ubered take the flak, the rest of the team provides extra fire power and flak for the enemy. It needs a authoritative vocal announcement for this to work on a pub though, as you all know.

gori11a
As a Medic there is a certain point when u go in with uber and good solider/demo/whatever to push sentry or cap, when u dont expect to get out alive. Whats really annoying is when the "back up mob" are still hiding and u die for nothing coz when u re spawn the SG has been rebuilt etc.
if only i had something funny or clever to put here........

NaughtyMe

G0R1LL3R wrote:
As a Medic there is a certain point when u go in with uber and good solider/demo/whatever to push sentry or cap, when u dont expect to get out alive. Whats really annoying is when the "back up mob" are still hiding and u die for nothing coz when u re spawn the SG has been rebuilt etc.

True - there's always that unfortunate push where you manage to destroy everything EXCEPT the damn SG.

gori11a
rofl:yes:
if only i had something funny or clever to put here........

Tim
Oh, a quick little tip that's been worked out: Control Point capture time does not reduce any further with greater than four people on the point. So if we've got four people on the point already, it's worth other team-mates starting to push forward to the next cap point to keep the enemy held back.

Zap
sweet, I didn't know that Shock
img237.imageshack.us/img237/7803/scoutbombcopygw0.jpg

Jump to Forum