alecom
Update bump, new version out Smile

changes at top

Edited by alecom on 13-10-2009 19:53

fefe
I LOVE THAT TRAIN THERE FFS Grin
www.lolbase.net/EU/feliox/signature/0b3daa520.png

alecom
My map should be having a test run on saturday (on the TF2maps.net server) for 15 / 30 minutes, from some time after 5pm GMT, 94.75.238.70:27015

Page
Bug me before it starts Grin

alecom
map is playing at 6pm uk time! 94.75.238.70:27015

Cpt Obvious
Nice to see some action on a full server.
I guess it is a bit confusing but proper texturing and MOAR SIGNS and it should be ok.
Last map caps way too easy imo.

alecom
Alright, what I'm thinking of doing is making the second stage more of a straight right angle battle (like dustbowl stage 2 layout) than have it go back round on itself. also means better for my skybox and optimization!

The final stage I think is going to have to be a complete re-make. It might have some aspects kept, but otherwise I will be remaking it to not be a complete hyrdo rip Pfft
Will of course keep the train and barrels! but the layout will be different.

First stage I'm getting rid of that looping vent thing since it didnt have much purpose, and will make some minor tweaks to its layout, mostly to make sure that route that opens is a bit more obvious, making the spawn better, and the area before the cap.

Pictures soon maybe!

also, naughty has provided some warning signs for me Smile
will include them in the next version

Leif
Yeah last cap looks a bit too much like Hydro and is like Obvious said too easy to cap. The entrances to last cap on first stage might be a bit tight together, I donno. Sometimes the map feels a bit too big. But I have to say that it looks good, I hope that you finish making this map Grin

spaceboy
Errrrm well lets see..

Having played it with a full server I think generally speaking the first 2 stages worked great. If I remember correctly the vent for attacking on stage one DOES have a purpose, in that it allows you to get to the one-way door and attack the final point from that side without having to walk across the main doorway which is a big long sniper alley. If you persist with taking this out please make sure there's still a route whereby this can be achieved. I wouldn't get too hung up on the reactionary feedback of people who are making comments having not looked at the stage as a whole yet, let alone having learned their way around it properly. I think the last point of stage one worked great as it is now it's been opened up Smile

The second stage again I think is pretty awesome and I thought it played really well, I don't think it has any problems that couldn't be solved with adequate signage and maybe tweaking the spawns (I'm sure at some point someone complained about spawning facing a door they couldn't go out). I'd be reticent to make any massive changes to this stage as I really like it... if I had to tweak anything I'm guessing it might be slightly tricky for blue to get out of their first spawn initially against an organised defence.. but having said that they actually seemed to manage it alright in the testing so maybe it's fine as it is.

The third stage will probably take some big changes to make it workable I think.. at the moment it's pretty unintuitive for red starting out to know both where point one is and where the blues are spawning in order to set up a defence (especially when they ride the train, which, although everyone agrees it's awesome, leaves the reds coming down from the side of the map kinda flush to where blue spawn, which means the relative positioning of the point and spawn aren't obvious for people). Also I guess it's probably a not unexpected complaint for people to mention about the dish being lifted from hydro.. I mean personally I don't really agree with it, just cos there's another map (which nobody plays) using a similar feature doesn't seem a great reason not to use it (it's like saying no other map can have a bridge at mid because badlands does).. but I might be in a minority here. Also the points seemed to cap a lil bit quick on stage 3.. although if you're making major changes to the stage as a whole that's probably not that relevant Smile
Behold the wondrous return of Sheriff Pony!

Page
Overall apart from getting lost a lot it was pretty good (somehow it seemed easier to get lost on than most the other maps we played that night - maybe because it was bigger and didn't play each bit too long, not sure).
The water tunnel on the final stage was a bit easy to camp (I enjoyed doing so at the time, but it could get rather annoying).
The bowl being completely lifted from hydro is a bit bad - it's such an obvious copy and just makes you seem a bit lazy. The thing is that it seems to fit pretty well.

In terms of last point being too easy to cap I think that was at least in part due to the route coming out pretty much on top of the point which no one seemed to notice for ages (I thought it just went back to our spawn tbh).

For each stage the first point seemed to fall pretty nearly instantly - to the point I never even saw some of them because I was lost, but that probably is part of the reason it went so quick, I was being no help at all Grin.

Overall once more stuff is done to help navigate, signs/landmarks/etc, then I think the map would be greatly improved, as it stands I spent a lot of the time trying to find my way round and so can't really comment on changes to the layout easily.

I've got a strange feeling this post is a bit rambling but blame Alec for not letting me sleep until I replied D:

Masson
i missed it Sad

alecom
Map has been updated to a5

http://dl.dropbox...a5.bsp.bz2

for changelog and more information click here

ADDED NAUGHTY'S POSTERS

tomregev
3rd stage looks a lot better, especially cp1. I liked the double cap on cp2 but I don't mind it gone for the new look as it finally doesn't look like a hydro clone.

Only problem I noticed so far is that there's only one way for blue to push cp2. Even dustbowl and goldrush have some sort of backdoor for the last point as without it it's pretty much a war of attrition, not to mention it renders spies and scouts ineffective. Red already have a huge advantage holding last with the balcony that can easily spam blue.

alecom
Okay thank you Tom - I think I may introduce a side route for that last point via the left of it (from red's view)

alecom
New version!

alecom
New version, again woot.

Page
You should repost the link when you say it's updated I reckon Pfft

More importantly, update the changelog! I want to hear all about the pain of soundscapes Devil

alecom
I don't describe that in changelogs!
They just took some figuring out is all, because they're not exactly straight-forward to use, and to find out what relates to what you have to do some digging around in the gcf.

I usually do post the link, but hey it's still updated in first post. Stop being so lazy!

Jump to Forum