cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
Sniper/Spy update complete notes.
Fens

NaughtyMe wrote:
Fuck me - why don't they just add "spy auto-orgasm" and the Spy is all set.

Indeed.

The teleporters thing I can probably live with but this will certainly make engi more tedious to play - having to spycheck every single person who comes through your tp is just crap. Also the amount of frustrating telefrags this will lead to, I mean if you are stupid enough to stand on an enemy tp when someone comes through and you get fragged then you deserve it really but standing on one you yourself just came through a second ago....

As to the 'disguise health' changes, I don't think this was necessary. I remember saying something when the spy was last buffed with the ammo pickups and disguise weapons and I think it was Spaceboy or someone who said 'well you can still catch us out by our health' - not any more...

Also if spys are picking up healthpacks just to improve their 'cosmetic' health, that means fewer healthpacks on the map for people that actually need them - when you have a 15 vs 15 player game going healthpacks are in short enough supply as it is anyways. At least the change to pyro means you wont have lots of burning people dying from fire because some spy has taken a healthpack (that is if a friendly pyro is nearby and not a backburner nubcake)

Still, looking forward to playing the new maps (hooray for new maps!) but I think I may be retiring my trusty wrench and engi shotty untill the engi update Sad

Mr G
Its does mean that people don't need to play that class for that weapon upgrades, think valve are hoping to limit the class unbalance on update times lets hope it works.

New maps look good though and thats always a added bonus on update day imho.

NaughtyMe

Page wrote:
Any class can find any class' weapons.
You can find weapons you already have.
You can be playing nonstop from the moment update came out and have nothing Headbang, or come on 5mins and instantly get one of the new weapons
Basically it's the most useless and frustrating system ever - You'll hate it.

I hate it and I can't even play it yet. I just read on the Steam forums (that den of ill-bred wankers) that you can get them by just speccing too - but seeing as it's random, you could spec for 3 hours and simply pick up the natasha 3 times...woooo

At least when it was achievement linked I could jump on an achievement server and SEE when I would next get a weapon.

I have a horrible feeling that by the time I play they will have "fixed" the system.
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

tomregev
All this and they couldn't fix the goddamn kritzkrieg bug...

Let's just make disguised spies not take any damage, that would help them blend in. You spies may like these changes now, but remember that every time spies become harder to spot by look the w+m1 population grows.

The ambassador's cooldown is just lower accuracy, great now a semi competent spy can take out half the classes in the game from the front on mid/close range.

Do we really need to give people more reasons not to play medic? first the sandwich then lvl3 dispenser, bonk and now jarate and airblast. What' next instant crit juice for soldiers and demos?
Instead of rewarding medics they keep finding new ways to make them obselite.

Great snipers shoot through people but rockets who are much slower still detonate on friendly with out doing damage to anyone. Not to mention all the times you fail to rocketjump because someone is standing right next to you and you hit his foot.

I was more hyped about this update than on any of the other ones and it ended up being the most disappointing.

Edited by tomregev on 22-05-2009 11:37

Armacoast
You missed that part:

Updated Dustbowl to fix not being able to jump into the window in the first building of the second stage

You now find new and old items as you play, instead of through achievements

Removed "Final" from map names in the serverbrowser quick list

Added "sv_allow_voice_from_file" convar, which defaults to 1. When set to 0, it"™ll prevent clients from using the "voice_inputfromfile" feature to broadcast wav files over voice

Enabled "sv_allow_wait_command" convar, which defaults to 1. When set to 0, it"™ll prevent clients from using the "wait" command

But spies can use tp's. Thats really bullshit and the Ambassador can crit headshot. Sad
i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Armacoast/9b3200whoa.gif

Mike
FINALLY. You have no idea how many times people have taken my bullet when I have a perfect headshot lined up. It's so annoying.

spaceboy
Yeah Mike, I've found that too and I've not even played sniper that much Smile

Personally I haven't played yet, but I've wanted these changes to disguises since day 1.. basically the disguise to this point has always been trash, capable of buying you 1-2 seconds max if someone decent was able to see you and then you'd be dead. Basically if anyone looked at me in disguise previously I just had to cloak and fuck off immediately assuming best practice.

Now there's still the two reasonable and useable ways of spotting spies that there always has been 1) they can't move through people 2) they can't shoot or actually do anything useful... oh and also 3) anyone doing anything suspicious! Personally I think this makes them more about skill and blending in/acting becomes more possible when you don't have a sign around your neck saying "SPY HERE" if anyone has the competence to just mouse over you Smile

On the tele usage... that sounds fun, although I'm not sure how useful it will actually be, I mean generally if I'm next to a tele entrance I'm sapping that bitch right then and there.. you're taking a gamble to teleport back to the front lines not knowing what's there when you've already made it through to the enemy spawn (which sometimes can take ages). I mean there's a good chance you go through, get crit wrenched and then it takes you another 5 minutes to get back to the entrances again.. all the while the enemy team has an amazing supply line.

Also the ambassador sounds dreamy! <3 Grin

Masson
i remember hearing that snipers can only headshot and do alot of damage when scoped, so that the sniper rifle isnt an off the cuff instant kill weapon

hi ambassador Smile

Edited by Masson on 22-05-2009 10:48

tomregev
Pipeline sucks balls, it's like playing dm until one team randomly wins.

Cpt Obvious
After playing around whole day i have to say this update is great. Nice new maps, unlockables, changes etc. Well done Valve

tomregev
As if this update wasn't annoying enough they ninja nerfd sticky jumps.

Rofl teh cake
I feel like beating Valve WITH ALL THOSE ADDITIONAL BACKBURNERS AND SANDVICHES I GOT.
I don't have anything new while most of the players do. This is real shit.
This drop system is like random crits and I despise em. Even people, who just spectate get shit.

Ramini
I played for 4 hours today and didn't get a thing. Agrippa logs on and 5 minutes later gets the huntsman Sad
So frustrating! I'm going to play for a bit more now and then leave it on a private server overnight just to see if that still gets them

agrippa

Ramini wrote:
I played for 4 hours today and didn't get a thing. Agrippa logs on and 5 minutes later gets the huntsman Sad

i feel after all thats happened im due some good karma

Humi
Some dead ringer guide:
YouTube Video

fefe
I love it Grin its so funny ... yesterday vad killed me like 6 times in 2 minutes Devil

Rofl teh cake
Give me that please Frown

matswatz
Nice video homer Smile
nothing but dust down here

agrippa
thats a nice find homer

tomregev
Wow, didn't know the damage reduction is this massive, he took less damage from that rocket than an overhealed heavy would.

Jump to Forum