cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
New computer tiem.
sick-lizard

Mike wrote:
Let me know how Vista x64 treats you, if you get it.

I can't decide between XP x64 or Vista x64 for the comp I'm building.

I've just gone back to xp 32bit from vista 64bit and its like a breath of fresh air, after nearly 6 months of fighting vista I gave up! no more souncard deciding its no longer present, no more failed file copies cause vista didn't seem to like merging directories over about 10 gig this failed so bad as the was no errors given by the OS some files copied even worse all the directory's copied but loads had no contents in..

but thats just me I do a lot stuff normal folks wouldn't so you may love it (try a copy first before you buy!)

I haven't tried xp 64bit although if i did I would see that spare gig of ram.. but other than that there still isn't alot of 64bit apps unless you want to run servers Smile

crash
new macbook pro... alienware lappie.. or customised gaming rig desktop.. arghhh which?!?!

Masson
alienware is the winner here i think

crash
windows 7 beta's out!!!! xD
decided to build my own rig from scratch. . will post the specs up soon Smile

Mike
Alienware is for people who want top-end rigs but can't be bothered building one Smile

frosty
i'd go with a custom built desktop, but I have people to turn to nearby if anything goes wrong, & speaking of those people hey sick check out vista 64, so far i've only problems i've had are lack of driver support from creative labs, mods for homeworld2 dont seem to be stable & shadows in the total war series seem to be borked. Tho i've not tried moving any blu ray sized files with it yet.

sick-lizard
twas vista 64 had been running for about 6 months Sad never again! if if the media center bit was nice mpeg2(digital tv braodcasts) look much better for me under xp too...

Alienware is the computer equivalent of cocaine ie, Gods way of telling your earning too much money!

Edited by sick-lizard on 14-01-2009 17:17

crash
Intel CPU core 2 Duo E7300 2.66GHz 1066MHZ FSB 3MB
Gigabyte GA-G31m-ES2l Intel G31 LGA775 DDR2 micro ATX
Asus Radeon HD 4870 512MB DDR5
4GB Ram
Seagate 1TB HDD
Corsair PSU 400W
Samsung DVD drive
CiT Gaming Case
LG 22" 8000:1 monitor

all under 580 GBP Grin
reused my razer lycosa and krait mouse i won from the national tourney so didn't have to get new ones.. Roll

krakyn
Will a 400w PSU be enough for that kit? Might want to triple check if you haven't already, I've seen me add a new graphics card to a rig and only then discover I needed a new PSU as well to run it. Angry Pop

crash
yup.. everything runs just fine.. ran a stress test and came up to 200fps Grin
temp's all pretty nominal too..

Infekted
hey guys could you please rate my upcoming rig and alter it if necesary Grin i would be delighted to hear your comments Grin

CPU : AMD ii x4 945 @ 3.0ghz Grin
Gcard: XfX 4870x2 1gb gddr5 Grin
320 gb ssd Hitachi =(tooo fast Pfft)
4gb ddr2 ocz gold edition ( amd special)
Nox urano 600w (is this enough)??????
ASUS M4A785D-M PRO ( or any better for around the same price?)
case nor cpu cooling not decided yet but i prefer air cooling Wink

Infekted
btw for all of you strugling to decide on windows xp/vista 64 bit, i would definatly recomend xp 64 bit alot better plus it uses alot less memory.

still not certain? download both and partition drive them Grin, thats what i did GrinGrin

Cold
Please create a new thread rather than digging up and hi-jacking a dead one.

Jump to Forum