cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
PYRO UPDATE THURSDAY
NaughtyMe
Fat lot of good it did anyway - most people (like me) had their stats for the new achievements reset...I had to re-earn the hard way...

...i.e. logging into an achievement server...with griefers...and then finally on a "friends" server, on his pc where 1 step took 5 seconds to show on screen lol
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

agrippa
ill give izzard a prod see if hes up for it again. i seem to remember thinking hes big on pyros so i imagine there will be one running over the weekend at least.

NaughtyMe
I'm off on Sunday...but I'm happy to stack an achievment server with [Ci] on the next few evenings.

Some achievements are fine...but "Burn a spy flicking his cigarette"..never gonna happen outside of spawn...

Edited by NaughtyMe on 18-06-2008 12:47

click->

Armacoast
This achievment is really interesting:

Fire and Forget: Kill 15 players while you're dead.

Kill people when you are dead?!
i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Armacoast/9b3200whoa.gif

agrippa
yeah. flame them then let the Damage over time kill them off after your have been blown to bits by a rocket.

Don Pedro
how about this one:

BarbeQueQ: Cause a dominated player to leave the server.

odd one that, totally different from the rest

Armacoast
Here are a download to one of the new maps. cp_fastlane

For them how want to take a look at the map before the update!
i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Armacoast/9b3200whoa.gif

Sammage
...Jesus christ.

Now the question is, do I want 50hp more and guaranteed crits from behind? Or a way to kill soldiers with their own rockets? Decisions, decisions..

This update is gonna make pyros a force of nature.

Oh edit: I've now read the achievements, there are only 3 that suck! (killing with taunt, killing a spy flicking a cigarette, do three different taunts over bodies) And depending on how hard reflecting is, maybe the crit rocket one too. The rest are easily doable, they'll just take some time.

Edited by Sammage on 18-06-2008 14:05

NaughtyMe
It certainly opens up new tactics.

Maybe this is the jolt to get pyro's into clan matches now.

A frontal attack with the ability to rebound stickies and rockets..remember the pyro will reach points before the dreaded demos and soldiers
click->

Fallen Seraph
I cannot wait to see some frag vids of that deflection. I imagine that they will be insane.

agrippa
to say nothing of teh fact that they can push uber'd characters... think of teh bridge leading to the last cap on dustbowl. 1 sneeky pyro could push the ubering medics or their uberees off the bridge and break up the attack.

Other maps like hydro, one part in a cavern has a hole in it that if you fall in you are killed, pyros will run that room. Other things to think about are will it work through a grate door like the one on dustbowl 2 that open only one way?

Theres bound to be whiners and a few exploits (and then nurfs) along the way but its a really really clever solution to the pyro being a tad underpowered. In fact if it works as its supposed to then its a brilliant solution, the underpowered class gets an ablity that doesnt damage anyone, isnt designed to kill anyone and yet it might actually fix the class imbalance... brilliant thinking by someone at valve. My only concern is how the "bouncing" of rockets and stuff will look.

Edited by agrippa on 18-06-2008 14:42

Raven
Also does the compression require charging after each use or is it infinite?
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

NaughtyMe

Raven wrote:
Also does the compression require charging after each use or is it infinite?

I would think - this is only me - that it would be silly to allow someone to just hold down the right mouse button for infinite blower, especially next to a dispenser...

...picture Gravel Pit, point 3 - you would only need to build a dispenser with a pyro at the top with his blower - you'd never get to the top!
click->

Sammage
I would have imagined it wouldn't take ammo, but just have a long recharge. I mean it's compressed air, not propane.

I would also have imagined it would allow pyros to airjump like a soldier rocketjump, if it's anything like the compressed air blaster in quake. That's gonna open up a whole new bunch of strategies for the little dude.

Edited by Sammage on 18-06-2008 15:05

Raven
yeah true there How much force does the compression have obviously projectiles but what about players?

as in the maximum compression force will be a medic and thats the limit
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

NaughtyMe
I sincerely hope it does not give the same jump range as a demo or soldier, (I don't think it will) both of those take damage from using that trick. If the pyro got a similar "jump" he would shift from being one of the more underpowered, to overpowered in one swift movement.

You could jump to the point with only fall damage and then wipe out the defence on the point. As it is the soldier and demo have to think of the trade off of using the jump to what happens when they land.
click->

Tinger
The pyro is now a human shield Grin

krakyn
The order of the updates seems odd with the flare gun as number one you would expect it to be the shotgun replacement which is the second weapon. Otherwise it all looks good, don't want the Axtinguisher really so i might not bother with an achievement server since it looks like getting 26 shouldn't be too hard.

mrbreckles

Krakyn wrote:
The order of the updates seems odd with the flare gun as number one you would expect it to be the shotgun replacement which is the second weapon. Otherwise it all looks good, don't want the Axtinguisher really so i might not bother with an achievement server since it looks like getting 26 shouldn't be too hard.

Indeed.
Besides the couple (taunt achievments) the rest are easily do-able in-game.

jem58
Wow, great tweaks. Compressed air rocket kills will be sexual. Looks like they've actually managed to turn mr. pyro into a fairly viable class.

Jump to Forum