cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
L4D 2 WTF
Mr Waffles

ZiiPSolo wrote:
or you could just play L4D as ITS THE SAME GAME!! why would you pay for something that blatantly hasn't changed at all?

ZiiPSolo wrote:
L4D was interesting for about 10 minutes. This one has barely changed, so yes, I'm serious.

If you don't like L4D then that's fine.

But to say L4D2 "has barely changed" is a hugely shortsighted comment. L4D2 has:
[olist=1]
New special infected, the Spitter, Charger and Jockey, notably the Charger and Spitter are desgined to combat closet or corner camping which is the norm in L4D1
Wandering witches
New guns such as the FN SCAR, new auto sniper etc
Laser sight upgrade added
New reload animations for the guns
New melee weapons (who doesn't like the chainsaw?)
The gore system has been revamped
5 new campaigns
New rolling crescendoes whcih forces survivors to move therefore preventing them from cornering up and tediously spamming melee and shooting away with little effort and danger
New Scanvenge game mode
Realism mode
New Survivors
Bile bomb, adrenline, incendiary ammo, defibrilator and ammo pack items added
Uncommon common infected added such as Mudmen and Contruction site workers
AI director 2 which alters the path of the maps every time you play to keep it refreshing and now contols the weather
[/olist]
Tell me how ALL these things added in L4D2 constitutes it being "barely changed"? I'm not asking you to buy L4D2 but your comment is about as unfair and poorly thought out as me, for example, saying: " TF2 has barely changed from TFC".

Edited by Mr Waffles on 25-10-2009 11:58

tomregev

# New special infected, the Spitter, Charger and Jockey, notably the Charger and Spitter are desgined to combat closet or corner camping which is the norm in L4D1
# Wandering witches

From the videos I've seen the spitter is over powered as hell. basically boomer bile that does tank damage. The charger has a pathetic damage output and about double or tripple the health of a hunter, not really threatening and won't get anyone out of a closet, especially with tier2 guns. Unless wandering witches attack on sight I don't see the point, if anything it's easier for survivors as they can wait out a witch and infected can't camp her.
The Jocky on the other hand I love, I'm fascinated with the idea of fucking around with someones movement like that.

L4D doesn't need more gun models, it's not css. Even with this new variety it's still basically machinegun, shotgun, better machinegun, better shotgun. The only real new weapons are the grenade launcher and the melee weapons. And unless new melee weapons has no fatigue I don't see myself using them beyond their humiliation value.

Scavenge isn't really that interesting, it's only good if you don't have time for a full versus campaign. Realism mode is going to be just ridiculous, as if people didn't have to start over a level enough on expert.

The new director sounds great but is likely to just end up being 3-4 versions of the map that people will have memorized by the first 2 weeks.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's bad and I'll probably buy it eventually, but really most of the changes are pretty meaningless in the long run and it still looks more like an expansion than a new game.

Humi
If someone has a copy left, I would be interested to buy it. (crappy euro steam prices suck)

Mr Waffles
The demo comes out on 8.00pm tomorrow at GMT time. Can't wait.

Leif
ooo niiiice Grin

Solo

Mr Waffles wrote:But to say L4D2 "has barely changed" is a hugely shortsighted comment. L4D2 has:
[olist=1]
New special infected, the Spitter, Charger and Jockey, notably the Charger and Spitter are desgined to combat closet or corner camping which is the norm in L4D1
Wandering witches
New guns such as the FN SCAR, new auto sniper etc
Laser sight upgrade added
New reload animations for the guns
New melee weapons (who doesn't like the chainsaw?)
The gore system has been revamped
5 new campaigns
New rolling crescendoes whcih forces survivors to move therefore preventing them from cornering up and tediously spamming melee and shooting away with little effort and danger
New Scanvenge game mode
Realism mode
New Survivors
Bile bomb, adrenline, incendiary ammo, defibrilator and ammo pack items added
Uncommon common infected added such as Mudmen and Contruction site workers
AI director 2 which alters the path of the maps every time you play to keep it refreshing and now contols the weather
[/olist]
Tell me how ALL these things added in L4D2 constitutes it being "barely changed"? I'm not asking you to buy L4D2 but your comment is about as unfair and poorly thought out as me, for example, saying: " TF2 has barely changed from TFC".

So they've updated animations for guns and changed how some of them shoot, they've changed the 'personalities' of the survivors, they've changed a couple of standard infected.... the only new things of any value are melee weapons (why would you when you have guns? except for it's mildly amusing for about 2 minutes) and a couple of tweaked some of the special infected that are effectively variations on a theme.

in my eyes, that's not a lot of worth while changes to warrant buying it.

Raven
Ah awesome 8pm GMT i will be home from Uni when it starts Grin
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

Cpt Obvious
After playing the demo I can say anyone calling it a expansion/dlc is a troll or a retard.
Much improved and big fun. Can't wait for full version now.

Edited by Cpt Obvious on 29-10-2009 02:18

Raven
Tried to play the demo i get a dos screen saying the program is too big to fit into memory so im reinstalling it right now Shock
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

Leif

Cpt Obvious wrote:
After playing the demo I can say anyone calling it a expansion/dlc is a troll or a retard.
Much improved and big fun. Can't wait for full version now.

I agree.

tomregev
That's nice but would anyone like to elaborate on what actually makes it so different?

Cpt Obvious
Graphics/gore improved a lot. Machete + gore is made of much win.
Lot of new guns/items, guns IMO sound better.
Melee weapons are fun to use and don't seem overpowered.

New infected mix it up nicely, got many situations when spitter or charger forced us to spread and got owned by commons.
Uncommon common riot zombies are annoying as hell if many appear at once.

Sometimes director would block some paths so have to use detours. Lot of variety even when we just did the same 2 maps over and over.

New cresendo event is awesome, have to run thru a mini maxe when infected come from all directions to reach a button to turn off the event.

And of course all the stuff we haven't seen yet, weather effects messing things up, more uncommons, different cresendos and a proper story.

Dunno about others but im sold.

Fens
Devil Good post, pretty much nailed it! Loving the gore, new weapons, new infected and environments. Also as Capt points out the director is much improved, on each playthrough I saw some quite different stuff happen.

Yes sure at the end of the day you could argue this is really just 'L4D 1.5' but damn it is fun to play Smile

Cpt Obvious
turn cheats on and type this in console:
"Give weapon_grenadelauncher (or grenade_launcher) for a awesome pink ERROR launcher.

tomregev
Well it sounds good, still I think I'm going to wait for the public demo before making a decision.

Mike
LOL

When the whole preorder bat thing was announced I preordered it off Game just in case I changed my mind about L4D2, but I cancelled it shortly after. I've only just checked my email, and even though I cancelled the preorder ages ago, they've still sent me an early demo code. Slammed it into steam and I'm downloading the demo now Pfft

Cpt Obvious
Anyone pre ordering L4D2 gets Bill's hat for TF2!

Fens
That is cool Smile If anyone fancies invading a random pub server tonight (as no doubt Ci will be empty) then give me a shout on friends, shall be sporting my shiny new beret!

tomregev
Demo impressions:

Multi core is fucked up, with it enabled the game kept freezing and was unplayable, turning it off fixed it.
I was disappointed that I couldn't change viemodel_fov without turning on cheats, some of the gun models like the magnum are massive.

Chargers are really easy to kill, AI jockeys are retarded and just ran at me. I never saw or heard a spitter, it was as if the goo just spawned, though that's not necessarily bad and would be interesting in versus. I don't see the point of wandering witches, they just stand in place and can be crowned just as easily as the old ones.

The crescendo event with the tower was fun and a lot more interesting the the old "endurance" events.
Some new guns like the ak are great, the rifle that only fires in burst was also fun once I got used to it. Melee weapons are fun on normal, but on expert I'll stick to my pistols. The slower shotguns take a while to get used to but I can see why they toned them back.

The music is a lot better than what I heard on the trailers, needs more jukeboxes.Grin

Survivor AI is still amazingly bad, had spitter acid on the entrance to the saferoom and they kept trying to get in. You still can't break their grip when they heal you, Even if there's a fucking charger heading your way.

Edited by tomregev on 04-11-2009 14:20

Radoo
I played the Demo, and I can say that I'm happy I didn't buy it. Smile Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but I didn't finished even the first L4D, so it's just one of those games that doesn't attract me too much.

Jump to Forum