cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
Sniper Update
Mike
Valve are slowly losing it. It doesn't matter how much art you put into it, that doesn't make up for a shitty concept. I mean, all the sniper updates are just plain crap. Bow and arrow? A sheild against spies? A jar of piss? Seriously? Compare that to the Spy's death gun, super cloak and special anti-death watch and you've got major balance issues there.

Cpt Obvious
Jarate has arrived!
Seems interesting but losing Kukri? That will be a big tradeoff. I like the idea of extinguishing burning teammates.

Also guessing from the large amount of jarate based achievement, it will be the first unlockable.

agrippa
im not sure you lose the kukri for that jar. there is an achievemnt that suggest you need to jar someone then melee kill them. Perhaps the shield replaces the kukri and the jar replaces the smg?

Gotta say tho i actually reall like the idea of this new "weapon".

EDIT::i should just say i havent read teh whole thing as im too tired and there was alot of text. is there soething saying that it will replace the kukri?

<<>>

Edited by agrippa on 21-05-2009 07:41

alecom
interesting point agrippa, it might not replace the melee.. which is what I am hoping.

Also, the background with the saws going around the point is awesome : D

spaceboy
I think Jarate looks like a pretty interesting weapon, it's got a bunch of cool effects, although I don't know if another antispy weapon was needed? (maybe they'll be so powerful after this update that everyone will have to equip antispy weapons to have a chance! Grin ).. I wonder if it does any direct damage when you get hit with it or it's just the effects on their own. If it does replace the smg then I can see people taking it to be honest.. although then they may not take the Razorback... peeps do love their kukris Grin

Also... HA HA HA Maybe I'm massively immature but I DO think it's a hilarious weapon Grin

Cpt Obvious
Does this comic look familiar to anyone? Grin
img36.imageshack.us/img36/5725/1242867681697.jpg

wolflordandy
I remember seeing an amusing one of those to do with Chaos in Warhammer setting. THey joined Tzeench and mutated, thus stabbed the guy in the face, then the girl for being a shallow bitch, then he had a threesome with hawt chicks.

matswatz

AgrippA wrote:
im not sure you lose the kukri for that jar. there is an achievemtn that suggest you need to jar someone then melee kill them. Perhaps the shield replaces teh kuk and the jar replaces the smg?

EDIT::i shoudl just say i havent read teh whole thing as im too tired and there was alot of text. is there soething saying that ti will replace the kuk?

Good thing we're not too many norwegians here...

Cpt Obvious

matswatz wrote:

AgrippA wrote:
im not sure you lose the kukri for that jar. there is an achievemtn that suggest you need to jar someone then melee kill them. Perhaps the shield replaces teh kuk and the jar replaces the smg?

EDIT::i shoudl just say i havent read teh whole thing as im too tired and there was alot of text. is there soething saying that ti will replace the kuk?

Good thing we're not too many norwegians here...

It's pretty close to the finnish word also Grin

Ramini
Don't like the sound of jarate much.. by the time you get the jar out for most enemies you'll be dead, they'll be dead from a teammate or would have been better with the smg/kukri.
vs spies it doesnt seem bad but again, if others are around I just shoot him, if i'm alone then without the smg he'll just kill me and wait for it to wear off.
Fire effects are such a niche that unless you can douse yourself thats going to be almost useless.

Only things that would make it worth having would be
- lasts about a minute
- allows the bonus damage through uber (not balanced but valve love destroying uber's usefulness and snipers aren't often near the uber)
- the sheer memory of being doused in piss made the enemy take the additional damage for random periods for the rest of the game.
- some other effect like their vision being turned slightly yellow for the duration and crits being disabled for them

Because I want to guess and I may as well type it. These are achievements

Australian Rules: Cap points?

Be Efficient: Get a 100% headshot:kill ratio for the round with at least 3 kills

Be Polite: Death cam taunt - kukri

Beaux and Arrows: Bow kill a medic and his target?

Consolation Prize: Kill 50 stunned spies?

Dead Reckoning: Headshot heavies with their barrels spinning?

De-sentry-lized: Snipe 3 sentries

Dropped Dead: Bow kill someone in mid air

Enemy at the Gate: Probably something about camping a doorway for 4 minutes

Friendship is Golden: Douse a friend's flames with the new martial art!

Have a Plan: ?

Jarate Chop: Kill jarate soaked enemies with the kukri

Jarring Transition: Jarate a cloaked spy

Jumper Stumper: Snipe (headshot?) a rocket jumping soldier

Kill Everyone You Meet: 1000 kills.. (of each class? headshots?) usually theres one insanely hard one and 1000 kills won't take too long.

Kook the Spook: Kukri 10 spies

My Brilliant Career: Be number 1 on the scoreboard

Not a Crazed Gunman, Dad: Defend the point

Number One Assistant: get 5 jarate assists

Parting Shot: Headshot someone as they come out of uber (needs to be in somewhere, more snipers need to learn it.)

Pincushion: Stick 3 arrows ina heavy

Rain on Their Parade: Jarate a medic and their target

Robbin"™ Hood: Longbow an enemy with your intelligence

Rode Hard, Put Away Wet: Jarate enemies on your point

Saturation Bombing: Jarate 4 enemies at once

Self-destruct Sequence: ?

Shafted: Arrow kills

Shock Treatment: Spies stunned with razorback

Shoot the Breeze: Snipe spies

Socket to Him: ?

The Last Wave: Deathcam taunt - rifle

Triple Prey: Kill 3 enemies in 3 seconds (oh please Grin)

Trust Your Feelings: Kill enemies with full charge shot (nice reference Devil)

Uberectomy: Kill an ubered medic (with bow?)

William Tell Overkill: Headshots with bow?

vadoom
It might be just me but i kinda believe you can throw the jar from distance, like on some people capping a point. In this case, it would be really useful to the team and would help "battle" snipers.

vadoom
Btw the achievement "Beaux and arrows" is a play on words about les"Beaux Arts" which is a prestigious french art school.
Pablo Picasso paintings on the walls anyone? Smile

agrippa
yeah i did see an achievemnt icon with a spy looking at a jar flying towards him, does suggest it will be a grenade type object.

Armacoast
The funny thing about the jarate is that its already been seen in the Meet the Sniper vid!!

http://www.teamfortress.com/sniper.htm
i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Armacoast/9b3200whoa.gif

wolflordandy

Uberectomy: Kill an ubered medic (with bow?)

This will be to kill a medic with an uber charged, but not deployed. Thus "removing" the uber.

Socket too him: Headshot a Demoman (the icon is of a bottle, and in meet the sniper, he got him in the eye socket, thus leaving him blind!)

tomregev
Ok so while the spy gets more deadly and more sneaky the sniper becomes a cartoon.

Instead of giving the sniper a secondary weapon that's actually useful he's getting a gimmick, combine that with a shield and an update sniper has only his primary weapon do damage with. Assuming the razorback is the melee unlock I really hope you can at least swing it for some damage. Really the only sniper unlock that's decent is the bow, and we still don't know the damage it does so even that might be useless.

Oh and if the cloak and dagger gives a short immunity to fire like many have suggested than it's a fail decision, spy shouldn't get immunity from his counterclass.

Edited by tomregev on 21-05-2009 11:03

Mike
They haven't even shown the hats yet. Oh God...

NaughtyMe
need....pc......to......kill.....spies.......and snipers......and killl
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

spaceboy
I assume you mean the Dead Ringer (which is the death feigning one) there Tom, Cloak and Dagger is the one that lets you stay cloaked standing still. I wouldn't suggest for a moment that it should give you immunity to fire.. but it should still cloak you when you're on fire (without showing your burning silhouette) i.e. you're still burning and taking damage, but your position isn't given away (which would make the pretend death pointless). The same should apply to normal damage, you should take it as usual but shouldn't shimmer. If this ISN'T the case then the item will be useless and used by no one.. as it will just result in a spy taking damage and a ragdoll being dropped with a shimmering spy standing over it.. not very convincing Smile I mean even with this necessary facility I'm still uncertain as to how it might work that would make it worth taking in any situation in preference to the other 2 cloak options.

tomregev
Meh same thing.

Why shouldn't it show the burn? that's the whole point of pyro vs spy. I can get behind not shimmering from normal damage to make this viable but it shouldn't be the case against pyros. It's like making heavies take damage from backstabs but not a one shot kill. It makes the idea of counterclass meaningless.

Jump to Forum