cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
Sniper/Spy update complete notes.
agrippa

Fens wrote:
Sandman+Drink+FAN for maximum disruption/annoyance/RAGE/FURY/SWEARING to the opposition Grin

Corrected previous statement to make more accurate.

Also am i the only one who has abandoned the ambasador for the regular revolver? Maybe its the hours and hours of time i spent using the thing but im finding the alternative slightly less useful.

I admit its most likely cause im a really bad shot..

Edited by agrippa on 10-06-2009 00:18

spaceboy
I think you may well be, at least of the peeps on the server Smile It's totally conceivable I'd actually be better off with the revolver.. but I'm too damn optimistic and can't help thinking I'll always be able to make the headshot to get out of trouble Grin Also I feel like there's more potential there for me to get better with the Ambassador and become more effective overall as a result.

Edited by spaceboy on 10-06-2009 00:35

tomregev

Krakyn wrote:
The FaN did something like 60% the damage of the normal one before so you could still two shot a medic with it, guess this makes it easier if your aim isn't as good. Will be interesting to see how it pans out, Kritz only took about that much change to charge time to make it a highly used tactic in competitive matches from never being used.

That's what I'm afraid of, I don't mind the random fan scout on pubs but in matches a good fan scout will have me raging like a maniac.

Fens
Well after having been on the receiving end of some sick ambassador headshots from Agrippa tonight I for one would like to see him move back to the standard revolver Pfft

Cpt Obvious
Sneaky new update.

Added an option to the advanced multiplayer menu to select left or right handed view models

Fixed a bug where a spectator's wearable items could be seen floating around the player they were spectating

Fixed a bug where a fake Spy hand would appear on the screen of other players

Custom death animations now only play 25% of the time

Fixed teleporters not being build-able in some places where they should be (such as within the pit at the end of Badwater Basin)

Fixed rare client crash on connection and level change

Removed refract from water ripples caused by bullet impacts for performance reasons

Added log entries for player extinguished events using the medigun, jarate, flamethrower and dispenser

Started tracking localization settings to help make decisions regarding localization in the future

Fixed the blank progress bar in the upper-left of the screen when the client scheme is reloaded

Mapmaker requests

Added spawn flag to func_respawnroomvisualizer that allows it be non-solid to players

Added SetSolid input to func_respawnroomvisualizer to change solidity to players dynamically

Added OnWonByTeam1 and OnWonByTeam2 outputs to the TFGamerulesProxy

Sniper

Fixed a bad detection case in the "Friendship is Golden" achievement

Changed the description of the "Triple Prey" achievement so it better describes how to get it

Critical arrows now have a trail and correctly deal enhanced damage

The Huntsman now defaults to be right handed

Friendly arrows will no longer trigger the near miss sound on you

Fixed several sources of floating arrows

Spy

Fixed disguised Spies occasionally looking like they have invulnerability, instead of the correct fake Spy mask

Disguised spies will no longer lose their disguise weapon when they interact with a weapon locker

Fixed a bug where the spy's watch would randomly change models during play

Fixed uncloaked spies flickering in and out of the cloak effect when taking damage

The Cloak and Dagger now always regenerates at its intended rate. Previously it only regenerated at the correct rate when the spy was cloaked

Increased the Cloak and Dagger regeneration rate slightly

Capped the rate of energy loss from moving faster than run speed (falling / air toss) while cloaked with the Cloak and Dagger

The Dead Ringer's cloak consume rate has been slightly reduced, giving about an extra second of cloak time on a full meter

Emerging from the Dead Ringer's cloak now drains up to 40% of the cloak meter instead of 100%. This drain only happens if the meter is at least 60% full

The Dead Ringer's cloak meter can now be regenerated from ammo sources

The Ambassador now only crits when fully accurate and no longer penetrates enemies

The Spy can no longer change weapons from the knife while shocked by the Razorback

Force-A-Nature & Flamethrower air blast knockback effects no longer work on disguised spies

Fixed disguised Spies showing the wrong teleporter effects when using an enemy teleporter

tomregev

The Dead Ringer's cloak consume rate has been slightly reduced, giving about an extra second of cloak time on a full meter

Emerging from the Dead Ringer's cloak now drains up to 40% of the cloak meter instead of 100%. This drain only happens if the meter is at least 60% full

The Dead Ringer's cloak meter can now be regenerated from ammo sources

Oh shit, now it's actually useful.

The Ambassador now only crits when fully accurate and no longer penetrates enemies

Awesome, that's how I wanted them to balance it.

The Spy can no longer change weapons from the knife while shocked by the Razorback

Nice little extra, though it still only helps against retarded spies.

Force-A-Nature & Flamethrower air blast knockback effects no longer work on disguised spies

Bullshit, why not make them immune to explosive knockback as well while you're at it?

BiGFooT
Re: I really don't understand why Valve deleted that knockback idea. What will be next? You will be able to walk through the enemy disguised spy?

Fixed disguised Spies showing the wrong teleporter effects when using an enemy teleporter
Re: same as I said before. Spies using teleporter now is pretty imba and now this helps them alot.

I can say, I'm quite dissapointed by those Sad

Raven

Cpt Obvious wrote:
Sneaky new update.

[b]Added an option to the advanced multiplayer menu to select left or right handed view models

About bleeding time the amount kills i couldnt get because of the handing of the gun hurray improving gaming for lefties :>
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

Mike
Can't download the update. Just gives the "Steam has found a problem with your local game file. Game files will now b re-aquired" error and loops that. Looking at the steam forums, I'm not the only one. Looks like it's time to reinstall tf2...

Friendly arrows will no longer trigger the near miss sound on you

Fucking finally.

agrippa
The diguised spys who had this tele problem couldnt go through enemy teles at all as they had the wrong colour particle effects showing, it needed fixing. Why should some players be allowed to go through enemy teles and other not allowed to because it will get them killed farily quickly. Fixing it so that it works as designed is a good thing, its not imba, its fixed, its working as intended.

Also the FaN shouldnt have been able to spy check so easily imo as that is what the pyro should do and not the scout. A spy checking scout with a FaN was far more effective than a spy checking pyro, given that they could cover a much larger area AND could run down anyone AND are harder to hit so you coudltn really fight back. Not so fussed about the pyro airblast because most ppl didnt airblast me, they just set me on fire...much easier Pfft

Most of the other stuff seems good, i really like the ambassador changes as it raises the bar on the skill usage, it also means that a quick reacting sniper with a razorback wont get headshotted twice in quick sucession (gorilla will appreciate this Pfft ). Youll probably see alot of ppl switchign back to the revolver (myself included i think). The ambassador is a good gun if you are a marksman. However if (like me) you cant hit stuff when its stationary then you need all the bullets you can get. "Spray and pray, the AgrippA way" Giggle

EDIT:: People need to understand that because of the crop of good spys on teh CI server the general feeling seems to be that any change that is made in favour of the spy is imbalanced. For every good spy ive seen and played with ive played aganist a whole lot more bad ones, and the good ones arent nearly as great as bad ones are truly bloody horrible. The spy is still a very luck dependant class, a little bad luck and you will get killed because you are surrounded by enemies, if any other class get a littel bad luck there is more chance to retreat backwards and survive. It mean that the spy need to work as intended as often as possible or else it wont work at all and noone benifits (facestabs for example).

Edited by agrippa on 24-06-2009 02:27

Mike
Only just noticed the Ambassador nerf. To be honest, it deserved it. The spy isn't supposed to run up to classes wildly shooting at peoples faces, it's not an assault class.

Since the Sniper/Spy update I've only seen 1 spy use the normal revolver and that was probably because he didn't have it in the first place.

Edited by Mike on 24-06-2009 00:16

agrippa
Absolutly agree mike. Do you think they will try changing the regular medic gun in some way so as to make it an alternative to the Bluts? Is/Was pretty much the same situation i feel.

Edited by agrippa on 24-06-2009 00:19

alecom
wait.. no airblast on disguised spys means.. no axtinguish combos ):

need to see this cloak and dagger alteration..

Ramini
Yeah, spy needed a nerf. I've been playing quite alot recently as a spy with ambassador and dead ringer. The ambassador meant i would kill all but demos, soldier and heavies with ease. Of course they're also the most susceptible to a backstab and set off the dead ringer very easily.

But wait. Crit arrows????
WE HAVE CRIT ARROWS??!?!?!?

Gief. Devil

Mike
Oh dear...

YouTube Video

spaceboy
Grippy is quite correct, spies are nowhere near overpowered Smile Don't forget the 2 points for a backstab people! I mean even Grippy (though he can get top spot on the leader board fairly often) pretty much never manages to get DOUBLE the points of the 2nd place player which would be evidence of a real top place score (at least in terms of kills). When I play as a spy these days I'm lucky to get a 1:1 kill to death ratio.. whereas solly I'm usually nearer 3:1 .. but you seldom hear gripes about the solly because it's always been at that sort of level (or higher before the nerfs last year).

I think it's a testament to just how entirely shitty and worthless the spy used to be.. that even after sooo many much needed buffs I still don't think it's an overwhelmingly powerful class (although it can now just about hold its own Smile ). I mean think about it, if it really was then you'd think all the teams we see with 4 or more spies on them would be a heck of a lot more successful, instead of the unmitigated fail machine they inevitably are Smile

tomregev
You Agrippa and cake were doing just fine before the buffs. Points don't really reflect the contribution to the team, an engie that builds a lvl 3 teleporter no matter how useless its location will usually be in the top 3. A sniper can lead without once touching the cart, stand on a point or put someone out. The demo who takes out 3 nests without an uber but dies in the process on the other hand will usually be mid chart.

The thing about spies for me is that they have a higher initial skill requirement. Anyone can pick up soldier, though not anyone can master it, but not anyone can pick up spy and therefore it has a bigger trade off once you do.

Also a team with 4 or more of any non assault class will fail, not just spies.

Edited by tomregev on 24-06-2009 10:14

Rofl teh cake
Gonna try the DR out now, now that it got buffed. Also, what happened to CanD? Did it get nerfed or buffed?

tomregev
Was supposed to be buffed but from what I read it was nerfed.

spaceboy
Yeah, it looks like Valve made a bit of a booboo with the CnD as it currently takes 30ish seconds to refill which is the same as the standard cloak (while it's supposed to regen at 165% speed or something).

Before the "fix" it took 20 seconds to charge while cloaked and stationary and 30 seconds when uncloaked.. so valve made these the same (which is good).. but did it the wrong way round (which is bad) Grin Valve are funny Grin I'm sure this'll get fixed within the next couple days.

Edited by spaceboy on 24-06-2009 14:14

Jump to Forum