cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
Upcoming Games
Undead2k
New gametypes for MW2, third person mode! D:
http://www.euroga...ed-for-mw2

The whole business about no dedicated servers is spreading to other developers as well. Even though Rage is fairly unknown still, they claim they might not have any dedicated servers as well.

http://kotaku.com...s-for-rage

So its possible that other big companies might feel the same way and follow suit. I really hope not D:

Oh and Dragon Age: Origins is awesome ;D

NaughtyMe
These people are fucking idiots, or clever coniving conspitorial bastards. I would have thought Carmack would have understood. but then again he sold out long ago.

As it is, I have had "some" fun with World at War although I was confused on my first few forays - I think one comment to Fens was "wtf there are dogs, why the fuck are there dogs AND they killed me" plus endless grenade spam - and was looking at investing in MW2 as a replacement shooter, but I am now going to save my money for Battlefield and hope it lives up to the hype nearer the release.

Do you know I have also had fun with Torchlight. I didn't think I would, I generally shy away from playing games now where I have to compare this shield with that etc. However, this game is fun, it doesn't feel too onersome.
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

Mike
Why are they even bothering porting it over to the PC? I honestly wouldn't mind if IW stopped making PC games, because they've obviously forgotten how to make them.

Dedicated servers are the reason PC games stay alive. Would Counter Strike, Team Fortress, Doom etc still be alive today if it weren't for Dedicated servers? No.

I'm quite suprised Carmack doesn't want to use dedicated servers, but as he said it's not written in stone yet.

Valve revolve around their community, and a dedicated server is the most important technical component to building a community so they're likely to never ditch them. Would we all be here if it weren't for Barrymores?

Waiting for my mailman to deliver Dragon Age Fubar

Edited by Mike on 06-11-2009 09:35

NaughtyMe

Mike wrote:
Why are they even bothering porting it over to the PC? I honestly wouldn't mind if IW stopped making PC games, because they've obviously forgotten how to make them.

Dedicated servers are the reason PC games stay alive. Would Counter Strike, Team Fortress, Doom etc still be alive today if it weren't for Dedicated servers? No.

I'm quite suprised Carmack doesn't want to use dedicated servers, but as he said it's not written in stone yet.

Valve revolve around their community, and a dedicated server is the most important technical component to building a community so they're likely to never ditch them. Would we all be here if it weren't for Barrymores?

Waiting for my mailman to deliver Dragon Age Fubar

...err I don't revolve around Barrymores, I suspect I would last around a minute beofre I had a fit at the screen. I was playing NeoTokyo with Hunt0r a month or so ago - it went onto a map based on Dust_de(?). Hunt0r was rapturous, I had NEVER seen it in my life and he was horrified.

..waiting for JDownloader to deliver....
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

Mike

NaughtyMe wrote:
...err I don't revolve around Barrymores, I suspect I would last around a minute beofre I had a fit at the screen.

I was just making a point that Barrymores (although I don't think it was called that at the time? I can't remember) was the original dedicated server and todays Ci is a result of that. Ci wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for Source using dedicated servers.

But nowadays it's all TF2 this and hats that.

spaceboy

Mike wrote:
...But nowadays it's all TF2 this and hats that.

The hairy cat loves hairy hats Roll
Behold the wondrous return of Sheriff Pony!

Solo

Undead2k wrote:Oh and Dragon Age: Origins is awesome ;D

Steam is de-encrypting mine now, it had best hurry up too!

Undead2k
To describe Dragon Age by comparing it with other existing games, i would say it"™s a mix of neverwinter nights and baldurs gate with a sprinkle of mass effect, but mostly the neverwinter nights series. The online features (biowares special social networking) seem fairly pointless in my opinion. Though it would be interesting to see if you could use these features with your own home-made-quest-adventures or fan-made ones using the editor tools Pfft

But in terms of describing the game on its own terms; I feel like its an interactive book that I just cant let go of. The characters have so much history and depth to them (though sometimes they do go on a bit), the main story is from what i've seen so far fairly decent and the overall gameplay is really easy to pickup but hard to master whic his good. The game isn't overly complex for noobs like say neverwinter nights with its DND 3.5 rule set (or whatever it was Pfft). There are a lot of famous actors doing the voice overs as well, I find it somewhat amusing picking them out when I hear them :3 Though what i say can not do the game justice as its just simply to awesome for words Pfft Or at least thats how I feel at the moment. I might be singing a different tune in a couple of weeks, who knows :X

Also I concur with Mr Naughty regarding Torchlight. I think its a brillant game though now I have Dragon Age I can't see myself playing it much anymore :X I can't wait to see what they are going to do with the multiplayer sections later on. I believe they will be turning it into a MMO at some point. Though i am not really thrilled about the MMO part, I am more interested to see how they will turn this single player game into a MMO. Will they force you to start a new character online? Or will they allow you to use your singleplayer character? Who knows :X . I also hear theres going to be a map editor coming out very soon so you can make your own quests and stuff.

I haven't had the chance to get online with steam to check out teh L4D2 demo due to Dragon Age. It pretty much sucked up my entire week this week. But I had no intention of getting L4D2 anyway because i just can't seem to justifie it at the moment. The way I see it, its pretty much L4D with a few tweaks. I know we could debut about other games that have done similar things with their sequels but I don't really care about them. If Vavle spent more time actually thinking things through and adding more I might have been a little more interested. From the trailers and what I have heard, i can already see their being a L4D3 in the making after this (though I may be wrong Pfft). In most cases its because silly people continue to buy games with loads of sequals to them regardless whether or not its actually going to add anything decent (I am talking more about the endless wave or EA sports titles that comes out several times a year every year, man I hate EA Pfft). I will try to get round to installing it and who knows I might change my mind but i sincerely doubt it. I might be more tempted when steam do something like a 50% off deal or something.

Rawr Pfft

wolflordandy
BFMoonC2 is looking better and better

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

alecom
Those BF C2 videos were so cool Grin

Fens

NaughtyMe wrote:... but I am now going to save my money for Battlefield and hope it lives up to the hype nearer the release.

Good shout! As you can see from the vids Andy posted, the new BF game is looking very nice. Spent hours and hours on BF2, me and Fuzz in an attack chopper used to terrorise servers and nothing quite beats squadding up with some clued up people who all use comms on a huge city map server. I just hope DICE/EA release a product that is well balanced and not riddled with bugs this time round Pfft

MW2 should be dropping through the post tomorrow, am sure that the SP will be great but not expecting much from the MP after all that we have heard in the last couple of weeks Sad

Mike
If it really is as open and chaotic as it appears then it certainly look appealing. Never played a Battlefield game, but I might give it a try.

Just realised that there isn't anymore games that I'm interested in being released this year. Was looking forward to Natural Selection 2, but they've pushed it back till early next year.

wolflordandy

Mike wrote:
If it really is as open and chaotic as it appears then it certainly look appealing. Never played a Battlefield game, but I might give it a try.

Just realised that there isn't anymore games that I'm interested in being released this year. Was looking forward to Natural Selection 2, but they've pushed it back till early next year.

Good thing with Battlefield games is they have adjustable maps. Much like there is the Arena_Grannary and CP_Grannary. BF had maps that were 6v6 scale (used for matches), 12v12, 16fv16.

The way BFMoonC2 is shaping up, I think I'll preorder it Grin (Last game I preordered was... Smash Bros brawl couple years ago!) You also get some cool toys preordering. (Aux Machine gun, motion sensor on tanks, aux rockets on APC, tracking pistol for infantry [lets rockets home on, like in the video])

Video of the bonus stuff:
YouTube Video

Also! Remote controlled attack chopper thing!

i38.tinypic.com/qy7s7b.jpg

wolflordandy
Holy fook,

http://g4tv.com/videos/42695/Battlefi...quality=hd

12 minute walkthrough, really good.

Apprently not only is the terrain destructable, but the ground itself can be modified by the heavier weapons. By the end of the video (its all one match) the whole map has been shot to buggery.

Cpt Obvious
more cool games that wont run on my machine Headbang

Raven
I agree with undead

Dragon Age is extremely addictive and highly fun to play, the first thing that struck me was the orchestral music it really sets the atmosphere and is unique to each village and event. I found the background story you chose at the beginning a nice change to it being set it lets you get into character and much more immersive rather than it being just one story, character customisation is good but can only do the head and shoulders however still provides a range of in depth customising. Your npc teammates are well developed each with unique quirks and styles mixing it and making it tougher to decide decisions on which npc characters you affect.

The main thing i find with some WRPGs and some JRPG is that if theres alot of discussing and conversations happening and its not delivered correctly then it just a bore skipping through them, i found this in oblivion where they just stood still and not engaged, in Dragon Age i found myself asking myself about every information as its delivered so well, the voice acting is brilliant even though its a shame your character never talks.

The combat is simple but effective and the abailty to pause the battle and give out tactics is extremey useful as i found myself many times pausing to make them restore health Grin, the character classes are unique with special features.

In all its a defo thumbs up from me Grin

Also was a special announcement on the FFXIII website confirming the release date for 9th March 2010 and interview with the makers cant wait for this game Smile

http://www.finalfantasy13game.com/

Leona Lewis song "My Hands" will be the theme song for american and uk release

Edited by Raven on 15-11-2009 11:58

img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

spaceboy
I'm also loving Dragon Age Grin It's like a really great fusion of all the classics bioware have made in the past, there's a lot of Baldur's Gate, Nervwinter Nights, KOTOR all fused together into something amazing. There's a couple little niggles I have.. like how little information there is regarding the exact mechanics of the combat engine and stuff.. also it would be really helpful to have the available spells described in great detail, it doesn't even say in the descriptions how much mana each takes unless I'm just blind, let alone how their damage scales with your character levelling up Sick

Anyway on a different subject, Starcraft 2 battle report Grin

Edited by spaceboy on 16-11-2009 21:40

Behold the wondrous return of Sheriff Pony!

alecom
starcraft Grin
awesome

Cpt Obvious
L4D 8 bit version. Turn up volume a bit.

YouTube Video

Mr G
YouTube Video

to help gain brownie points cause of all the ebil games we have played in the past.

Jump to Forum