cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
Sniper/Spy update complete notes.
Ramini
Teleporting can also open gates.. thought I have my own way now. People always come out of the gates in the dead center (as sniper this information is so useful) or to the side where they are going to turn to avoid the sniper. If you sit as a CD spy at the other side of the gate you can slip through when someone opens. A variant of the pyro/heavy camping the gate but this time nobody knows you went in at all.

I'm loving all the unlocks except the razorback now. I can see it's usefulness if a sniper is near a sentry gun and so unable to be shot but the Jarate means no escape for spies, supporting your team, extinguishing all fires and making your other weapons insanely powerful.

The different spy cloaks take some getting used to, I don't know if the spy masters here play differently but I'm using
Normal - fast travel over levels, stalking players.
CD - slow getting somewhere but excellent for ambushing snipers, lone engies and sniping behind the lines. Also brilliant at escaping from people.
Dead Ringer - Combat spy! If you see yourself about to take a hard hit then hit it and either fall back or slip behind them and disguise.

The ambassador is one of those weapons where if you can aim it is quite overpowered. A headshot and a body shot or two appears to kill most people. Most useful bit currently is sniping engineers in their nest then sapping. Being discovered is now only an inconvenience compared to probable death. Scouts now lose sometimes in a fair fight.

Cpt Obvious
Razorback should be harder to spot.

Edited by Cpt Obvious on 01-06-2009 01:54

wolflordandy
Only 3 types of people stab razorbacks,

1. Those going for the Die another Way achievement.
2. Nubs who don't know any better.
3. People randomly stabbing in a crowd/in a panic.

I agree should be harder to spot, as it stops you getting stabbed, but gets you shot to bits at point blank instead, maybe if it defend from all rear melee, or was hidden for first strike, appears but destroyed on 2nd?

spaceboy
There was a TF2 update last night which (hopefully) fixed a bunch of bugs and whatnot:

Team Fortress 2

* Added a "Discard" button to the item pickup panel.
* Added a backstab custom death animation to the Heavy.
* Changed default for tf_arena_use_queue to 1. This was the original behavior prior to the last update.
* Changed the Dead Ringer so it can be activated while carrying the flag.
* Increased the Force-A-Nature's damage by 10%.
* Fixed not being able to reflect arrows with the Flamethrower.
* Fixed The Huntsman drawing a muzzle flash under lagged conditions.
* Fixed the background color of the Spy disguise panel not always matching his disguise team.
* Fixed idle players being kicked when the server has tf_arena_use_queue set to 0.
* Fixed Spies not being able to sap a building if an enemy player was colliding with the building.
* Fixed getting a real target ID on an enemy Spy that's disguised as one of your teammates if you are disguised as an enemy.
* Fixed the Ambassador not shooting enemy sticky bombs.
* Fixed Spies being able to automatically cloak after uncloaking at the moment of a weapon switch.
* Fixed Jarate instantly exploding when thrown in some places, like the final area of Badwater.
* Fixed spectators not having their items removed when they enter spectator mode.
* Fixed Sniper "civilian" exploit where players could crash the server.
* Fixed a couple of cases where viable backstabs would fail.

Personally I'm delighted about the spy's disguise status box now changing colour properly (as that will allow me not to have the annoying class picture visible anymore).. and the backstab fixes which had really started to piss me off (although "fixed a couple cases" does not sound like a total fix Frown ).

Most interesting generally I guess is the FAN buff, need to check out what this means in real terms.. as in, can you now kill a medic with it quicker than the scattergun at the appropriate range? Would be interested to know if this is enough to get some of our 1337 scout players to start to actually use the thing. Smile

tomregev
Spies that can backstab!

Pyros that backstab!

And the new and improved scouts that can backstab!

Ramini
* Fixed not being able to reflect arrows with the Flamethrower.

hell yeah.

Tim
^ ^ ^ Yeah!

* Increased the Force-A-Nature's damage by 10%.

BOOO!

* Fixed Jarate instantly exploding when thrown in some places, like the final area of Badwater.

YAAAY! That was really annoying me.

Edited by Tim on 09-06-2009 11:35

spaceboy
Oh, and according to the Steam Forums at least:

Flaregun minicrits work!
Although not in the update list, the flaregun minicrits have been added.

* Flaregun will now mini-crit on a burning enemy.

Only the initial hit will mini-crit. No afterburn minicrit.

Nice little buff for the flare gun Smile

tomregev
Fuck yes! A damage increase of 10 hp!

tomregev
Ok I did some testing with bots, flaregun mini crits do work and are amazingly useless. On grimmer news scouts now need two fan shots up close to kill a soldier or one close one mid shot followed by 1-2 pistol bullets. Medics are pretty much fucked if both shots hit.

Rofl teh cake
Where is the Dead Ringer buff?

Mike
Sigh...they still haven't fixed the bug where, after someone dies, their running/aiming animation still plays.

Leif
I guess I'll have to give the FAN a shot again.

Cpt Obvious
No sign of fixing spies looking like ubered spies instead of cloaked spies.

fefe
I want the dead ringer buffed or at least the old dead ringer back
www.lolbase.net/EU/feliox/signature/0b3daa520.png

alecom
Fixed spectators not having their items removed when they enter spectator mode.

):

alecom
On another note, I made good use of the enemy teleporters a few days ago; final stage of dustbowl, first cap - usually sentrys on the ledge bit. I took the teleporter and took those suckers down! Took me two attempts to get to the teleporter as there was a pyro the first time around... ambassador fixed that problem the next time Grin

krakyn
The FaN did something like 60% the damage of the normal one before so you could still two shot a medic with it, guess this makes it easier if your aim isn't as good. Will be interesting to see how it pans out, Kritz only took about that much change to charge time to make it a highly used tactic in competitive matches from never being used.

vadoom
Don't worry, i think FAN is still bad. i don't like it when my targets are getting pushed back, i want them close Smile
It might be good for a 1vs1 but if you want to take down a medic + his patient, good luck.
The scattergun is still better by a big margin.

Fens
<3 FAN, just for the pure frustration it sometimes causes. It is great for pyro killing (knockback keeps them out of close range) and is also the best weapon for spychecking after the pyros flamethrower Smile I realise that 'proper' scout players don't use it and it is not used in comp play, but I still love it!

Sandman+Drink+FAN for maximum disruption/annoyance to the opposition Grin

Jump to Forum