cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
upcoming changes
Zap
okay are 2 upcoming changes TF2

first of all, they look into making a few changes to the soldier, such as making the soldiers little more careful when they use their rocket launcher at point blank range

and anther thing, the pyro will earn a few points everytime you ignite an enemy

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums...?t=643407
img237.imageshack.us/img237/7803/scoutbombcopygw0.jpg

Megalomania
I think the pyro scoring is a very good move, but for the soldier they'll have to be careful not to break the rocket-jump too much. I'm not convinced there's a need for it tbh, there aren't a lot of good close range classes.
img401.imageshack.us/img401/9208/tf2sigtz5.png

Tim
Revealed! A glimpse at some of the upcoming gameplay changes

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/...?id=180237

Given how easy it is to earn the achievements, I think this sounds awesome. The new map mode sounds like a lot of fun as well. This will really freshen things up, I'm pretty excited about it. I love the idea of gameplay evolution with customer feedback, within limits of course, as after a while things do become pretty stale (CS springs to mind).

Edited by Tim on 23-01-2008 14:23

agrippa
even if the changes turn out to be good across the board there will still be moaners. Also with the unlockes hopefully the devs will keep things balanced. With the current small map pool to play on its ok as the maps are designed with the current set of skills in mind. If they arent careful then some existing maps might become incredably easy to attack/defend by using some of the new unlockable ablities, thus potentially rendering them obsolete.

Speaking purley as a spy ill be happy if they make one of the unlocks a backstab animation that is the same speed as a normal slash, i cant count the number of times ive missed because of the stupid "special" animation taking too long.

Any (funny or serious) suggestions what some of the new stuff should be for each class?

Engineers :: Kenitic turrets, they dont do as much pure dmg but they knock stuff back alot more than existing turrets? Engineer maybe gets a flame pistol to help spy detection?

Heavy gets a gun thats better at taking out turret but less effective aganist people?

any others?

Edited by agrippa on 23-01-2008 16:13

marilyn at

Tim wrote:
Revealed! A glimpse at some of the upcoming gameplay changes

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/...?id=180237

Given how easy it is to earn the achievements, I think this sounds awesome. The new map mode sounds like a lot of fun as well. This will really freshen things up, I'm pretty excited about it. I love the idea of gameplay evolution with customer feedback, within limits of course, as after a while things do become pretty stale (CS springs to mind).

most sounds very interseting and i think playin tf2 will be funny for a long long time
unlocks hmmm can be a change for the worse as you see it in COD4 and Battlefield series, but we will see and hope the best Sickmilewinkgrin:

gori11a
Not sure about unlocks
if only i had something funny or clever to put here........

Tim
The thing is, it's not like the unlock offers a significant advantage, that's what they're trying to steer away from I think. Instead, the unlock will allow an alternative weapon, and therefore style of play. Some medics will prefer the fast-ubering medigun, some will like the overhealer. Either will be useful in different places. Whatever, the player wont be able to have both at once.

That way it's not offering a significant advantage (none at all, actually) to players who merely play for longer.

Edited by Tim on 23-01-2008 17:35

Ramini
If they're hard to get then I'm not bothered. I'd think you would need simply time played to get the first one and have to pull off some really hard to get achievements for the second one.
The overhealer sounds interesting but permanant 100% health buff? So a heavy with 600 health? Actually surviving being headshot by a sniper? Who would need uber Sick

As long as it doesnt change the game by giving the better players better weapons thats cool. Would be cool to have some of the ideas around as well like incendary grenades for pyro and some sort of huge explosion for demoman.

Looking forward to some complex achievements personally rather than the ones that you end up getting in your first play session.

Tim
One really great idea for a new thing for the spy was mentioned a while back on the server, I can't remember who it was though.

Remote spy cameras. A spy can plant a small camera on a wall, and other players can view what's going on on screens within the spawn. I'm not sure how useful they'd be, but I think it'd be really fun.

Another funny idea was that the pyro could plant pools of flammable liquid, to set traps, the downside being that the petrol evaporates rather quickly, and uses up a lot of ammo.

Megalomania
I don't think Valve are careless enough to have the new unlockables unbalance the game. Just look at the maps: they are perfectly balanced. I'm looking forward to it, I think it will add variety. And I've heard good things about CoD4's custom weapons.

jem58
Yeah it sounds interesting, and I'm looking forward to trying out that mine-cart level Wink

Tim those ideas are awesome, and I can see the flammable liquid one happening. Bonus points to Valve if the weapon is a bottle of petrol which the pyro maniacally throws everywhere, and you set it off by throwing a match grenade-style.

A heavy is already damn near impossible to take down as most classes with 450hp, god knows what sort of Slavic powerhouse a 600hp heavy would make. Earlier I headshotted a healed heavy 3 times in quick succession and the oaf just wouldnt fall down Sad

For demomen, maybe difficult-to-see buried TNT which is time detonated? But you'd have to only be able to lay one or two to avoid it being grossly overpowered, even more than crit stickies can be atm Wink Its actually pretty hard to think of new weapons/alterations off the top of my head. Good thing its Valve doing it and not me then Pfft

Ramini
Jem - Got to hit the heavy with a fully charged sniper shot. I think a standard headshot does about 150 damage.. kills snipers, scouts, medics engys and spies instantly but the rest survive Sad

Now I'm just sitting here waiting for Torchwood to come on I'll think of some new weapons...

Scout - It'll probably end up being some sort of mac10 style smg that is better slightly further away than the shotgun. What I'd love to see is if the unlocks aren't just weapons, an adrenaline shot that speeds you up or slows the enemy down, that would make the bat an amazing weapon too. scouts that go at 250% speed batting things Smile

Pyro - I remember reading about that oil gun and love the idea. Either that or molotov cocktails.

Soldier - a tommy gun? like a light minigun, you can move while firing, the spray is quite large and the bullets do slightly less damage. A UT style rocket launcher - can store up and fire 3 rockets, can't move while charging and it only has a 3 rocket clip. Dislike playing the soldier anyway so don't know.

Demoman - Some sort of prox mine? Or as I said before a huge explosion.. would need a penalty to stop its overuse so I was thinking a kamikaze bomb though I doubt that would be put in.

Heavy - Oh my god. WHO TOUCH SASHA??? Can't think of a replacement for the minigun but the ability to increase firing rate after killing an enemy would be nice.

Engineer - I like Agrippa's idea about the kinetic sentry. I'm also thinking about giving dispensors ability to autorepair, that way engineering may leave the sentry more. the repair wouldn't be fast but it could repair it after the sentry took out a demoman or something similar.

Sniper - how do you give a new weapon to something that basically is a sniper rifle? Sick maybe a shotgun instead of the smg to make dealing with spies easier?

Spy - x-ray binoculars to make scoping out a path easier.

agrippa

Spy - x-ray binoculars to make scoping out a path easier.

In otherwords a wall hack Pfft

Megalomania
I believe a fully charged headshot does 100% damage, so hp is irrelevent. I may be wrong.

I think a kamikaze/suicide bomb for the demoman is a great idea.

Zap
a fully charged shot does 150 damage while a headshot does 3X more damage
img237.imageshack.us/img237/7803/scoutbombcopygw0.jpg

Tim
OMG! CTF_Well!!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/...9&site=pcg

!!!

NaughtyMe

Well that should be interesting.

I look forward to Goldrush - brings back W:ET memories

crash
it would be cool if they sorta incorporated the headshot for most of the other jobs too.. you know.. like CSS? i was thinking a radar too.. but then aagain it would be too easy to spot the spy too :rip:

Raven
Aye the new maps look interesting Smile do we have an official or estimate release for these?
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

Tim

crash wrote:
it would be cool if they sorta incorporated the headshot for most of the other jobs too.. you know.. like CSS? i was thinking a radar too.. but then aagain it would be too easy to spot the spy too :rip:

oh dear god no, that would be awful.

Reita, it says in the article that a tentative release date was today, but most likely next week for CTF_Well. I'm really excited about this one, I think it'll work brilliantly.

Jump to Forum