cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
tf2 tips
Clever Idiot
10 ways to blow the cover of a spy

The health status of disguised spies doesn"™t change when they stand next to a dispenser to refresh their health.

Enemy player are an obstacle. So if a teammate blocks you then he"™s a disguised spy.

The contour of invisible enemy spies become visible for a short time if the spy gets hit.

If you"™re running around and get stuck for a short period of time then most probably you ran into an invisible spy of the opposing team.

An enemy spy who is masked as a teammate bleeds when he gets hit by you (not visible in the german version unless you have the bloodpatch)

Disguised Spies always carry the standard weapon of their class. So a medic with a heal-beamer or a bonesaw can"™t be camouflaged spies.

A teammember who needs to walk a long distance to get back to his own respawn could be a spy.

A disguised spy seldomly walks as fast as the class originally can. That means, that a spy walks way slower as a scout than a real scout.

If a player carries the own name when you aim at him then he"™s a spy.

A teammember plays a class which isn"™t displayed in the team"™s scoreboard: He"™s a spy!

Weapons and their Effects

All weapons cause less damage the longer the distance is (except for the sniper rifle and the grenades of the demoman).

The flamecone of the pyro halves itself if he"™s running forward, because he"™s catching up with his own flame. If the enemy is fleeing he should rather use the shotgun.

The medic can make two players invincible simultaneously because it takes a while until the shield wears off. If you"™re switching your target fast enough you can make them both continuously invincible.

With the demoman in the defense you should place stickybombs onto the own capture points. If you hear that the point is being taken then you should wait a little with the ignition. Often this action is only feinted.

The overcharge of the medic is charged faster if he has to heal real lifepoints. It makes sense if you can convince some teammates to damage themselves at the start of the round on maps like dustbowl (e.g. a soldier via rocket jumps).

With the healing of such a player you can use invincibility directly after the gates are opened.

Stickybombs which block certain pathes deter the enemy and force the opponent to take other ways. It"™s more effective though if you hide the stickybombs and actually use them.

The Heavy is the only class who has a second function for his infight weapon. By right-clicking he can punch with his other fist.

Hints for the engineer
You can turn the sentrygun by 90° by right-clicking.

A teleporter (doesn"™t matter if it"™s functional or not) is an excellent medium to attract spies. If you place one outside of the room where the sentrygun was placed then you"™ll most probably know if there"™s a spy near, because spies seldomly let the chance slip to turn off a teleporter.

You can build under water, too. Teleporter-exits won"™t be detected as easily. A dispenser prevents players from drowning because it can heal faster than you can take damage under water.

Edited by Clever Idiot on 15-01-2008 14:46

nax23
-.- http://cleveridiot.com/forum/viewthre...ead_id=792
we had an thread about tips and tricks u could also edit the first post and add some tipsDevil

Zap
I've got one more thing to add about the spy stuff

if you see a medic without any "übercharge" meter then its a spy
img237.imageshack.us/img237/7803/scoutbombcopygw0.jpg

Megalomania
You missed out the most-important spy-catching tip: KILL IT WITH FIRE!
img401.imageshack.us/img401/9208/tf2sigtz5.png

MESER
Ive managed to uber 3 people simultaneously if they were next to each other good with 3 heavies, not so good with stickys around or if your trying to cap a point

Raven
Ooh ty for tips Devil hopefully when im engi i have more of a chance against bloody spies xD
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

agrippa
ive got a good few spy catching tips, ill post them tomorrow at some point when i get home (does kinda feel like im shoooting myself in teh foot tho).

Clever Idiot

AgrippA wrote:
ive got a good few spy catching tips, ill post them tomorrow at some point when i get home (does kinda feel like im shoooting myself in teh foot tho).

hang on a min errrrr....dam it backstabed before i could finish typing.

Raven
lol yeah pretty much before you can even use the tips ur backstabbed by Agrippa xD

MESER
Yer hes definately the best spy ive seen on TF2. Hate bein on rival team to him u get a nervous condition watching ur back all the time

Megalomania
Not to mention a stiff neck.

gori11a
Yep watch out for AgripA and also Abunai is very dangerous as a spyWink
if only i had something funny or clever to put here........

agrippa
Right here goes, I'll split this into two parts, many of these people will "know" in the back of their head but probably have never really thought about. Be honest, how many times have you been stabbed and thought to yourself "I can"™t believe I let that happen"? Well that"™s what the first batch is about stopping::

Spy hunting

*When you go out a door look both ways like your crossing a road. The door is a choke point and most of the people I get, only looked one way when they moved through the doorway, normally they look the way they are going to run. For example on Turbine when people leave the tunnel with the door that shoots up when you approach it, most people look right 'cause that"™s where the danger will probably come from, anyone who glances left will likely catch out lurking spy. Look both ways, takes less than a second and your life will be alot better (and longer).

*Be suspicious, you lose nothing. (More on this later tho)

*Everyone knows that you can"™t run through a disguised spy as you can a team mate. Knowing this then if someone moves aside and out of your way as you run past each other, shoot them! Good map to think about this is where there are corridors that are two or three people wide, like the ones around the spawns on Turbine.

*Most spies will, as a general rule, not use medic, heavy or scout disguises. Demoman seems to be the most popular as there are normally a fair number of them on a team and they don"™t have any movement penalty. This is a general rule, I frequently use scout and medic as a disguise to good effect. I"™ve also used heavy disguises as a proper secret weapon, more on this later.

*Cloaked spies are very often among the first out of the gate when a round start. Good to know on the maps where you have a good line of sight to a spawn.

*Snipers, if you insist on hanging out in the same spot you will be stabbed sooner or later so don"™t start pulling your hair out. If you keep getting stabbed during the round (esp. on maps like 2fort) then don"™t worry, I personally don"™t think this is your fault, it your team. If the problem gets really bad then stop being a camper and switch to pyro Pfft

*On maps where there is a "water route" then odds are that"™s the route alot of spies will take to get to where they want to go. 2fort and the map with the train are good examples. Alot of custom maps as well.

*Most spies are creatures of habit, odds are when that guy respawned they will hit the button bound to "use last disguise" and carry on as before. So if during a game you see a guy disguised as a demoman, odds say he'll be back as a demoman in about a minute.

*Also as creatures of habit, alot of spies will go after the same target if they don"™t get it first time. I"™m thinking of Turrets, dispensers, teles etc. This might sound stupid but it"™s a point whore"™s way of playing because an engineer + turret + dispenser + tele exit is a good haul.

*Some maps are better than others for spies. Don't be surprised if you find yourself dominating a guy that"™s being a spy on some maps and not other others, be patient young padawan.

*If a guy on your team is staring directly at you, not above you, not slightly to your left, I mean directly at you, shoot him in the face. Don"™t ask why just do it, it"™s a spy.

*Heavy: You, like snipers, are going to get stabbed sooner or later. The medic cant help you because it will be over too quickly so dont get pissy at your medic for not stopping the spy, that helps no one.

Ill add more as I think of them:
This next bit is mainly for people trying to play as spy, but will probably be useful for anyone spy hunting as well:

Spying

*Be an original thinker. Picture the scene: dustbowl, first map, the blue attackers have managed to set up in the train tunnel area that"™s above the final cap point and two medics are charged up and ready to go but have no one to heal. I come waddling in a heavy disguise and both latch on to me so I charge towards the cap point with both of them following behind me. Both ubered me one after another and I just stood there doing nothing. The team clears up the medics when the ubers run out and I keep my disguise on till both medics are dead. I got no points but I did effectively kill two medics with ubers, which is worth alot more to the team. I manage to pull something like this off quite frequently because no one really expects it, just shows that a tiny bit of original thinking goes along way.

*Use all the disguises, (read above)

*Disguises are IMO not a tool to trick people at close range. Most people I kill have no idea where I was hiding; generally they didn"™t know what disguise I was using at all. The disguise is, I feel, a way to blend in so when you're half a map away from someone they won"™t pay much attention to you. It"™s only when you start to invade someone"™s personal space they get suspicious

*Timing is everything. I don"™t mean the silly backstab animation, I mean make your hit when it will cause the most chaos. A good example is just when a heavy in a heavy/medic combo is starting to fire. You, the spy, kill the heavy and the guys who you have saved from a heavy calibre death are more than happy to return the favour and kill the enemy team who were hiding behind the heavy medic combo.

* It's a team game, both the examples I"™ve shown above are times I"™ve put the team before my personal points score. Most of your team won"™t notice what you do so don"™t expect credit, don"™t cry about it, just grow up get on with it. The only people who will notice will be the guys on the other team. In the heavy medic combo example I gave above, you could go after the medic first, problem is while you do that the heavy is carving your team mates up. Think team first.

*SPYS OBSERVE!! If you finish top of the scores it"™s not "˜cause you're a living god! The points scoring system for a spy is more forgiving than it is on classes like Pyros. If your team won and you finished top it"™s rarely because of you, you mearly helped so don"™t get cocky.

*If someone starts shooting you, just ignore it. Odds are they are gonna kill you anyway but if you ignore it completely then sometimes they end up leaving you alone, totally convinced you're on their team. You can probably guess what happens next.

*I've come to accept bad luck is part of the spy"™s game. People aren"™t hacking, they aren"™t all cheats, you were just unlucky and btw "unlucky" isn"™t one death is 4 or 5 or more. If this happens it"™s time to switch class.

*Double spy teams are IMO a complete waste of time. I'm sure you can create a very reasonable scenario where two spies could be quite useful but rather than being two spies, just don"™t. Be a medic and a demo, or medic/heavy, or medic/soldier or even two medics. Trust me if two spies can do it, then there are other two man combos that can do it alot better and help the team more.

*Use your pistol. If a turret is holding up the team, sap it then start to shoot it, this will help the sap along.

* I'm fortunate because now ive got a little bit of a reputation on the server, people quickly become aware of the fact that I'm on the other team. This might sound really stupid and if you laugh at this then I'd understand but: use the fear. If you are having alot of sucess then the other team will be getting frustrated at the "fucking spys". Heavys will be mouthing off at their medics, Engies will be complaining about the lack of spy cover, snipers will just be moaning constantly. Spys can sap an oppositions' moral, not just turrets Grin The opposing team start shooting randomly at each other cause they think everyone is a spy, if they are doing this then it means they are afraid of the enemy AND their own team. If you see this happening then be relentless, even if it mean you dieing alot (and it probably will), get in to the other teams head and mess with them. Use a disguse that no one ever uses, kill indicriminatly without care for your own survival, infact stabbing someone in full view of 4 others in this sort of stiuation is a good thing. This wont make you finish top of the score board but its a hell of a sight to see an enemy team dancing around eachother, soldiers shooting all 4 rockets at one of their teammates then reload and shoot another 4 at them. In a situation like this you as a spy will be achieveing more that you can possibly understand.

Again, I"™ll add more as I think of them. I shoudl also point out that spies are relativly low skill class that probably dont have a place in clan matches. A class for pubstar wannabes, clearly.

Hope that helps some people.

Edited by agrippa on 29-03-2008 18:04

gori11a
Hey thanks AgrippA for taking the time to write that, and sharing personal tips we cant read anywhere elseGrin
if only i had something funny or clever to put here........

NaughtyMe
Agrippa -

I

hate

you

Wink

Edited by NaughtyMe on 17-01-2008 19:20

Megalomania
Niice agrippa. Shooting yourself in the foot indeed.

My top spy tip: change your name to =58th= Agrippa and watch your enemy collapse into jibbering, paranoid wrecks.

If a guy on your team is looking directly at you, not above you, not slightly to your left, I mean directly at you, shoot him in the face. Don"™t ask why just do it, it"™s a spy.

...? lol

I shoudl also point out that spies are relativly low skill class that probably dont have a place in clan matches.

Don't be so modest! It may be easy for newbies to score highly as a spy but like you say, that means nothing. Mastering the spy, which you clearly have, I think takes a lot of skill and strategic thinking - fairly unique, I think.

agrippa
its true, spy is low skill. Some people have said "easy to learn difficult to master" but its not really true (imo). Each to their own opinion on that i suppose.

If a guy on your team is looking directly at you, not above you, not slightly to your left, I mean directly at you, shoot him in the face. Don"™t ask why just do it, it"™s a spy.

Its true, i think i did it by accident tonight and one of the CI ppl killed me for it... see all my secrets are in teh open now, ive become useless Sad

sick-lizard
lol, as an eng i shoot everyone coming near my kit, been gripped to many times not too, but if the spy co'ords with his team then i'm dommed as I'll have to keep hammering my sentry & dispenser to keep it from dying then spy come plonks one in your back as you fend off the heavies, shame pyros get bored hanging round engies.

Raven
Lol awesome tips Agrippa Smile we have a chance of survival now instead of randomly shooting your own team fr spies xD

-un-faithful
thanks for the insights agrippa,it's all useful stuff. although i have to admit that it has also made being killed by a spy slightly more painful 'cus now when i get killed by one i think, "agrippa warned against exactly that happening....". cheers dude.

Jump to Forum