cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
A Very Engie Update :)
spaceboy
Hey hey!

Lets discuss all things engie update! Grin

http://www.teamfortress.com/engineeru...eerupdate/

So what do peeps think about the fancy new gun?

I'm a little unclear as to how it'll actually work as the description, in usual valve update style, is a little ambiguous. I mean the way I'm reading it you store a crit every time your sentry kills/assists..but you then only get those crits when the gun is destroyed.

Tom said in the shoutbox he thought there'd be engies getting loads of crits at the start of the map so I'm guessing he's reading it as you could build and destroy your own sentry without it killing anyone and it would give you a crit? Which is conceivable.. guess it depends on whether the "bonus crits" and "revenge crits" mentioned on that page are the same thing or not. I think I actually prefer Tom's interpretation as it would be more useful for an offensive engineer constantly popping down lvl 1 sentires and moving around .. whereas the other way only really benefits people turtling for ages and then afterwards trying to go on a rampage Frown Also I don't necessarily think engies having crits stored up at the beginning would be a huge problem given that this would be in lieu of them having a level 3 sentry set up and ready... I mean even with crits the shottie isn't that overpowering a weapon.

I'd also like to know how many of these crits can be stored up.. I mean the gun will only have a 3 shot clip so I wonder if that'll be a cap on it or if you can store more. Hopefully if it does go higher there'll be a counter on the thing to let you know how many you have stored up.

Anyhow, just some thoughts Grin
Behold the wondrous return of Sheriff Pony!

NaughtyMe

click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

tomregev
That's not how I read it- sentry gets kills, sentry dies, engie gets crits per kills and assists. But since the average non built by a retard sentry will average 5 kills/assists the engie will get around 10 crits.

I don't like it since it pretty much means you either destroy a sentry and get raped by the engie or leave the sentry and your team can't push. So basically in order to safely push a sentry you need an uber like in the old days.

spaceboy
Oh right.. so you didn't mean right at the start of a round then when doors open.. okies.

Ummmmm . I actually think it sounds a bit useless as it stands, cos any sentry that gets some kills is usually taken out by an uber anyway, in which case the engie gets blown to pieces; we don't know if his crits will carry over after death.. but even if they do it doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. If you take out an enemy sentry without uber then you're most likely at range anyway, so crits or no crits the engie probably won't be able to do much to you with his shotgun. It strikes me that spies will be the only class that gets meaningfully adversely affected by this weapon.... ha ha, I hope I'm not wrong and raging about it in a week's time Grin

I guess why I'm not that worried is that even with perma crits I'd still prefer to be going up against an engie than any of the proper combat classes.

Also I think 5 kills/assists is a an overestimate for an average sentry? Maybe I've been playing comp for too long but that sounds a bit high to me.

Edited by spaceboy on 06-07-2010 13:13

Cpt Obvious
Offensive engineers dream come true.
Place a sneaky sentry, get few kills, break sentry, kill someone with crits, loot him for ammo, repeat.

Exxy
Day two is up with achievement icons, and I have a pretty safe bet the new melee is going to be a guitar. To be more accurate: Engies patented Steel-Stringed Six-stringer guitar.
cleveridiot.com/images/exxysigsmaller.jpg

Cpt Obvious
No way in hell it will be a guitar. How on earth are you going to repair buildings with a guitar? TF is not realistic but they wont do anything weird like that.

Guitar = Tauntkill for Wrangler or some other wep.
Besides its not like valve to spoil unlocks so blatantly in achievement icons.

Exxy
Well, there's TWO achievements for it, so that is why I am quite intrigued, but me and space speculated in that one might be for the taunt and one might be for a kill effect with the taunt
cleveridiot.com/images/exxysigsmaller.jpg

wolflordandy
I'm still hoping for a robot, which replaces all his toys, and swaps the wrench for the guitar (as he no longer needs the wrench)

Hungover Engie

wolflordandy wrote:
I'm still hoping for a robot, which replaces all his toys, and swaps the wrench for the guitar (as he no longer needs the wrench)

That might very well be. The Vitruvian man like drawings could be a funny gag or a not so subtle hint.

alecom
I'm wondering if the crits stack and if you keep them after you die...

Hungover Engie
If it does stack even if you die, then I think it would be very easy to go action engie with the shottie and be very aggressive, being less careful where you place the sentry.

If the crits doesn't stack, it will be very frustrating if you managed to collect a high number before getting gibbed.

I'm very excited about all this to say the least, stack or no stack Grin

alecom
I hope remote controlled sentrys can walk about Grin

spaceboy
http://www.teamfortress.com/engineeru...er_photos/

Moveable sentries?

alecom
WHAT the hell!
I guess it's good for making sure you don't get it sapped Pfft

Raven
Looks like you move the sentries in your tool box Shock

Also better be something relate to cream gravy Grin
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

Undead2k
Rather odd, a link at the bottom of page links to this guys profile: http://steamcommu...watchmaker

Don't quite get it :X
sc2sig.com/s/eu/224555-1.png
bfbc2.elxx.net/sig/clean8/pc/Undead2k.png

Ramini
Well from the old Meet the Engy video he's sitting by a trailer talking about how he solves problems. Practical problems rather than philosophy. The Watchmaker analogy is a philosophical arguement to prove the existence of god. That makes him the wrenchmaker Grin

Chances are its just that he's the bloke that designed the new weapon though Wink

Sentry moving looks interesting - texas ranger achievement looks to be related to that also.

Edited by Ramini on 08-07-2010 11:44

tomregev
The blog post mentioned community weapons, watchmaker designed that new wrench.

tomregev
I crafted my last spare literally a second before some other asshole got a gold wrench, Fuck.Headbang

Edited by tomregev on 08-07-2010 13:27

Jump to Forum