cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
TF2 - Howto Rocket Jump
Ralphman
I spoke to AgrippA the other night while playing Gravel Pit and trying to rocket jump on to the roof of B. Needless to say I failed miserably to the point of coming close to blowing myself up ... 5 times Smile

AgrippA suggested getting a script for rocket jumping but since I prefer to learn the game before I start scripting my game I'm wondering if anybody have any tips and tricks on how to do it.

For instance, do I jump first and fire the rocket after? Should I just run forward and fire the rocket straight down or should I fire it off behind or on the side of me? Well you get the point. Any tips are appreciated (even stupid ones ... provided that they are funny Smile ).
[CoFR] - |CGA| - Ralphman

Fionny
Not the best at them myself, but it all depends on the angle you use / want.

Straight up - Aim Down Fire/Jump together i find works best,
Long Jumps, Run backwards and aim the rocket at 45degree's fire and jump.

etc... just mess around with it you'll get the knack quick enough

MESER
If you wanna practice rocket jumping or any class skills, keep an eye out for a map called " best in the class " or sumin ive shown a few players it, great for learning soldier jumps tho.Wink

jem58
It took me a fair while to get good at them (never played quake etc much) but I think I can help you out:
- To begin with, take the procedure slow, no use in trying to do it fast because more often than not it won't work as you intended
- There are two approaches - either looking straight down between your legs, or turning 180 degrees and looking down quickly, which is what I do, and is probably a bit harder to get right
- Always jump and crouch at the same time, and fire straight after. Sounds weird, but when you perfect hitting space and ctrl at the same time you jump far higher, i.e. it's easy to get onto the crates in granary from a fair distance, or you can jump onto the roof of gpit B from miles off
- The look-between-legs approach is only good for certain jumps, either straight up or at a high angle. For travelling quickly (getting to middle cap of granary for example) you need to look behind and down and shoot - maybe just keep looking backwards and fire to begin with
- Use the directional keys in the air to steer yourself, they can do a surprising amount
- Try to learn how to judge jumps - some gaps cant even be jumped by the best rjer no matter what they do

after you get the basics down:
- As a soldier (or demo) rocketjumping can do amazing things in firefights. When you still have a high hp, try and jump high over the pack of enemies, and take out the annoying fucker trying to midair you first, you should have time to fire a good 4 rockets while in the air, so try and use it. Also rjing is perfect for escaping from ubers of course
- As a soldier countering a soldier in the air, dont be afraid to try and midair. Sure, it takes ages to figure out but holy shit is it satisfying when you blow up a guy 10ft in the air.

I'd recommend watching some demos too - gotfrag has some good ones like this, http://www.gotfrag.com/tf2/demos/23942/ which I haven't actually seen, but considering how badly they raped us I bet it's good.

So there you go, rocketjumping 101.

Edited by jem58 on 22-04-2008 23:03

agrippa
This is the script that i use and how to make it work: I nicked this script off a forum somwehere (if i could remember where and who i would give credit). Also this is one way of using scripts, im sure there are lots of other ways and better ways, anyone has any suggestions feel free to post em here.

BTW:: Dont be put off by the length of the post, it looks a hell of a lot more complex than it actually is. If you have any problems feel free to catch me on steam friends, ill try give you a hand as best as i can.

A few quick notes. Afaik scripting itself isnt considered cheating by any rules/user agreement that i know of. There are some ppl who think it goes aganist the spirit of the game and so some servers might not like you using some complex script (altho how they woudl tell your using them, i'll never know). Its a personal choice, but ive used scripts for something or another in just about any game ive played since quake 1. Most of the time they are just about making life easier as opposed to making you a better player somehow.

Scripts are a quick way of executing a series of commands with 1 key input insted of several. The actions themselfs dont occur faster than the game normally allows but it does remove human error as a factor.

=============
=============

Anyway, go to the folder:

\Steam\steamapps\\team fortress 2\tf\cfg

If there is no CFG folder create it, it wont balls up your VAC status, neither will putting the following files in:

In the CFG folder create a txt file and rename it and the extension to "autoexec.cfg" (no speech marks). Open the new file with notepad and copy + paste the following text into the file:::

echo =============
echo userconfig loaded.....
echo =============
echo

exec userconfig.cfg

//CLASS ALIASES

Alias soldiercfg "exec soldier.cfg"

//CLASS BINDINGS

BIND "KP_PGDN" "soldiercfg"

Dont worry too much about what this all means, basically this assigns the key KP_PGDN (No. 3 on the keypad) as a way of turning the script on and off. I use this because if im not playing soldier it lets me turn the script off.

Save the file and close it. Then, still in the CFG folder, create a new text file and rename it and the extension to "soldier.cfg" (w/o speech marks). Open the new file and copy + paste the following text::

//Rocket Jump
alias +rocketjump "+jump;+duck;wait;+attack"
alias -rocketjump "-jump;-attack;wait;wait;wait;-duck"
bind mouse3 "+rocketjump"

This binds the mouse button 3 (middle button) to perform the rocket jump. Note that my mouse 3 is the wheel, but on my mouse it can be pressed like another button, i know not all wheel mice can do that, some people use mouse2 (right button) insted.

Save and close the file, then launch TF2. Once in game if you have done everything above correctly (and I havent left anything out) then it should work like this:

Join the server and play a soldier then when you spanw press PgDn on the keypad (number 3 normally). Then at any time you want to rocket jump, look at the ground and press the middle mouse button. The script will remain active until you quit TF2 or you press Kp_PgDn again.

=============
=============

Hopefully this should work for everyone, just be aware that if you have assigned somethign to either Kp_PgDn or mouse3 then you will either have to rebind keys or jig the above files a little bit.

Hope that helps.

Save + close the file, then run TF2. On the menu screen Press F1 and you will auto connect to the CI server. This also has the added advantage of joining on one of the magic hidden slots, so you wont have to queue. This was originally posted on these forums by Sick or Mr G i think. Im really sorry i cant remember who, but this is all their work, not mine. I dont fully understand how to write scripts, I've sponged this all off other peoples work.

I should just say that these are the only two scripts that I personally use, i have a spy.cfg file but nothings in it Pfft I know there is a demo jump one that is easy to find and use but i dont play demo enough.

Apologies for length.

edit: removed connect info! agrippa please do not publish this info! in all likley hood we will probably have to remove the queue skipping ability due to several peoples over publishing the details everywhere including in the motd.

Edited by sick-lizard on 23-04-2008 10:06

crash
i feel a g-mod tutorial with a step by step process coming on ^ ^

Armacoast
Pictures says more than words:

How to Rocket-Jump (Normal and Uber)
How to Double Rocket-Jump
i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Armacoast/9b3200whoa.gif

Mr G
Well I thought I would try this script becasue the server is set

sv_allow_wait_command = 0

- Allow or disallow the wait command on clients connected to this server.

But it does work , but it has very little control on how and which way you can or want to jump, I prefer the mid air control from angle I fire when press fire. Kinda like curving a football into the top left corner. Though for quick jumps up its easy to use. Duck and Jumping is a usefull skill to grasp at some point , but not high on some peoples need to learn...for the fun of the game.

As for the wait command might try some more and see if this server value has any use

Edited by Mr G on 23-04-2008 01:51

Ralphman
Cheers all, some very useful information in here. I'll be on the server for the next week trying to make it work Wink

AgrippA, I at least don't consider regular scripts cheating and have never done so so I agree with you. Also in the good old days (well, at least a more than 5 years ago Pfft ) one had to learn how to tweak the config since at least I were playing with around 30 fps on American servers with an around 150 ping. Which meant that knowledge about HL settings was a must to be able to play the game. So I've made a whole bunch of scripts over the years that has cycled connection settings and that sort of thing to tweak ping, loss and choke.

The script you posted also gives the tip that you jump first, duck next and fire third. While the YouTube vid that Arma posted suggests that you duck quickly, jump and then fire. So I guess rocket jumping is a bit of an art in the way that it can be done in many different ways Smile

Either way, thanks again all and I'll print that handbook jem and keep it next to me while I play Smile
[CoFR] - |CGA| - Ralphman

agrippa
apologies on the connect info -> i assumed where it had been posted on these forums originally it was fair game.

sorry Sad

Mr G
The Scene :

New machine built
New vista OS x64 install
New steam + tf2 download for 4+ hours
Install of drivers etc for new machine
Finaly tf2 downloaded
Launch tf2 + setup config
type connection info in console

Server Full

sicks face was priceless.....I just wish I had a camera at that point.

laugh and grumbles.....

nax23
hihihihihi

Ramini
...theres a connect queue? Pfft I missed what Agrippa posted but I don't think I've ever had to queue for the server since my third day when someone told me a little something about the server Devil

I don't like scripts personally, perhaps as an mmo player I liken them too much to bots. You're using a machine to do something which you're not able. Ok, so I realise we do this all the time but just feels wrong in a game of skill to me.

Going to try rocketjumping today, I was moaning that I couldn't reach the roof of gravelpit b the other day to meser and was going to ask how to do them on here as well Smile Soldier is one of my worst classes but I'm starting to enjoy it since I seem to get alot of shovel kills.

TinyT
As Jem pointed out, using rocket jumps in firefights are a deadly way of removing medics / getting away from a pyro who caught you offguard.

Just remember the amount of hp a full jump takes, and how much you will lose from the fall in case you miss.

I personally look forward to soldier firefight rj's + critzcrieg. Gonna take soldier / demos to a whole new level of awesomeness.

Using several (read: 2) stickies can fling you across large map areas with surprising speeds. You should also try überjumping some time Pfft 8 stickies + über = faster than light (almost)
We are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world

jem58
Watched those vids armacoast, the first one is pretty useful, but cmon, the ricochet rocket jump is incredibly pointless, probably hard to pull off and takes off about half your hp lol. I can't ever imagine being 1v1 against someone and thinking "I know what I should do! a double uber jump!" just in time to fall to a clumsy, painful death.

sick-lizard

AgrippA wrote:
apologies on the connect info -> i assumed where it had been posted on these forums originally it was fair game.

sorry Sad

no worries matey Smile if you spot any posts with the info still in let me know.. (just cause I'm to god dam lazy to use the semi Polish site search) I don't mind regulars having the info but it gets silly when some of the extra slots are taken up by complete randoms you have never seen before..

NaughtyMe
I think you should punish AgrippA by removing his knife ingame and substituting it with a purple dildo...it would give a different meaning to:

"Oh AgrippA's just joined the other team....now we're fucked"
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

Fionny
lol naughty, i dont want to be literally arse raped in game!

Armacoast
Hey naughty that would be a good idea for a new sig for agrippa. A spy with a dildo raping other players! Giggleol:Giggleol:Giggleol:
i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Armacoast/9b3200whoa.gif

sick-lizard
yep huge strap on complete with a manic grin doing the heavy Smile

Jump to Forum