cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
Information about the new medigun and more
Acegikmo
For those Who didn't know, there was an interview recently with Robin Walker at Valve.
Here's some new information:

----

One new achievement is to have the medic heal for 10 million points Shock

All new weapons will have their own models to tell them apart from a distance

New medigun will replace the 10 seconds of invulnerability with 10 seconds of 100% chance for critical hits for the medic's healing target Smile

The new medigun will be the first new weapon but the other classes are already being worked on and will see some rather quick releases.

First gun unlock for the Medic comes after you've earned 12 of the 36 new achievements for the Medic, the second comes at 24 out of 36, and the third weapon comes when you've unlocked all 36 achievements.

Goldrush will be released alongside the new medic achievements (no date given).

Goldrush is the first map that is part of the new "Payload" game type.

Goldrush will incorporate cinematic physics (as seen in Episode 2).

Consoles might get a map pack containing Goldrush and the other maps released so far for the PC version of TF2

-----

Awesome stuff Smile
They said it would be released in about 3 weeks, but we know Valve...

Edited by Acegikmo on 26-03-2008 18:53

Cold
so you can have 1 medic uber with invunreability and 1 with new medigun, creating an ubered ubered heavy for example? sick...

Acegikmo
Yeah, I think so Smile

Edit:

100:th post Grin

Edited by Acegikmo on 26-03-2008 19:02

sick-lizard
i think not.. i think once uberred your ubered & you would waste another trying Smile

Flying
That new medigun doesn't really appeal to me for some reason.. I'm sure there are ways of going around the limitations of the gun but you'll have to watch stickies and crit rockets. As far as I know whilst using a charge the medigun does not heal.
Control yourself
Take only what you need from him

agrippa
additional stuff::

The "Meet the [insert class here]" series of trailers are planned to be released along side the new map, game mode and unlockable weapons. At first im think i read somewhere that meet the medic would come out along with the new medic stuff but they werent happy with some unspecified aspect of the video. Meet the scout has already been shown to games journilists and will probably be the next video released.

Also i read a link to an article on IGN (thanks to jem for the find), the unlocks for each class are being developed to make the player have choice. for example 3rd level unlock isnt going to be better than the other weapons available to a class, it will just be different, with different pros and cons. I think when you take that into account and remember that there are 9 classes, each with 3 new weapons mean 27 total NEW weapons. Trying to keep things well balanced but at the same time, diverse must be a bloody knightmare. I think that given that, im glad that valve are taking there time and doing it properly, as opposed to rushing it out.

EDIT:: Flying, i *think* you do heal while ubering someone, i thought i was doign it today, but i do admit im not a medic expert and its also possible while i was ubering the guy, another medic was healing him at the same time.

EDIT:: added one word to keep Nax happy

Edited by agrippa on 27-03-2008 10:26

sick-lizard
nah you don't heal, the medics health regens a bit, but its handy to have another medic to top you up before you run off with an uber Smile

Fallen Seraph
Well, I might just be speaking from a fear of change point of view, but I can't say that I'm too enthusiastic about those changes. More achievements are a great idea, but unlocks? I'm having a bit of trouble seeing that fitting in with the simple-yet-complex vibe that, I feel, works so well at the moment.

Also, the more stuff there is, the more stuff there is to balance. I feel the classes are impressively balanced at the moment, which is something I'd hate to see disappear...

oth, I could just be being a luddite.

nax23

AgrippA wrote:
I think when you take that into account and remember that there are 9 classes, each with 3 new weapons mean 27 total weapons.

tztztz
mathsDevil

1 gun.... 0 Achievments
2 guns.. 12 Achievments
3 guns.. 24 Achievments
4 guns.. 36 Achievments
4guns X 9 classes = 36 Weapons :rol:

Raven
i like the achivements idea and the new weapons sound interesting but the thing is cud this cause unfairness possibly (for example red team got most or all of the new weapons while blu team have very little of the weapons):uhoh:

but it does sounds good though Smile

img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

agrippa
again let me say that the new weapon arent designed to be better then the defult ones. The dev team are trying very hard to make sure that the new weapons will be different to suit different styles of play. Also it wont be hard to get the new weapons, tbh the existing achievements werent exactly difficult to pick up.

EDIT:: edited my first post to keep nax happy.

Edited by agrippa on 27-03-2008 10:33

Raven
Yeah thats true when you think bout it lol witht the achievements
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

nax23
thx agrippaDevil
i think it will get very funny when the medic uber 3 soldiers with the new medigun und 12 krit rockets are flying into the base of a team
massive damageDevilGrinGrinGrin
ugly.plzdiekthxbye.net/large/l089.gif
ugly.plzdiekthxbye.net/large/l114.gif

Edited by nax23 on 27-03-2008 12:09

Clever Idiot
2 medic x 2 pyros , 1 medic unvul and the 1 medic 100x crit keep swapping pyros Smile carnage....run people

FuZz
The only thing that concerns me with the way that they are being released, is that I predict a massive rush on the amount of complete and utter useless players playing medic after the patch, who are just doing it for the achievements.

Nothing worse than a bad medic Sad
img80.imageshack.us/img80/7185/userbar522753bs9.gif

nax23
hehe we could arrange some "medic only" roundsDevil

Fionny
I hope they fix that re-curring bug of seeing wrong team colours weapons on wrong classes etc../

Armacoast
Finally we got a release date for the upcoming mega patch!!!!!!!!!!!!

in the week of the 20 april 2008

content of the patch:

- medic achievments
- the 3 medic unlock-weapons
- the map pl_goldrush
- the"Meet the Scout" vid
i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Armacoast/9b3200whoa.gif

agrippa
is that date valve time? so early may release Pfft

Edited by agrippa on 01-04-2008 21:39

Clever Idiot
Yeah like the release of tf2