cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
Wireless Adapter
Mike
Discovered the reason behind my laggy connection is my adapter is faulty (might be when I threw it at the wall). This is the second WLAN adpater I've tried for Vista x64, then again it was like £10, I shouldn't have expected much.

Anyone know of or recommend any adapters that will 100% work with Vista x64? As I'm obviously not capable of picking the right ones. Don't really mind if it's PCI or USB, as long as it works, is compatable with 802.11g/b and has a reasonable range. The routers' only about 5 meters away with a door inbetween.

Edited by Mike on 02-04-2009 00:11

Cold
5 metres... why not just get a cable? or even some of those homeplug things that send interwebz down the plug sockets

Mike
Because it'll mean having a cable run along the floor and, while I don't really care, my sister'll complain. Forever. Oh, and I decided to measure it, and it's like 7 meters. I can't estimate anything....

Never heard of one of those plug socket things.

Edited by Mike on 02-04-2009 00:15

gooroo
they basically uses the power lines in your house as networking cables.. it's quite a clever little idea.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Periph...ctId=23037

don't take this is a product recommendation, as i've never used the things before - just as an illustration of what they are.

[small]Please beware - pings can go UP as well as DOWN, please consult an Independent Network Advisor before purchasing any network products.
Gooroo McGhee is licenced operator 4422313 of the Network Services Authority.[/small]

Edited by gooroo on 02-04-2009 08:02

sick-lizard
they work ok, at work we are in the middle of rolling out some POE stuff from cisco to our branches very nice and saves a wiring nightmare adsl connection into cisco router then into the mains Smile

Rofl teh cake
I use a wireless adapter and I even had to buy a new one for Vista 64. Paid for it like 50€, shitload of money, but my downloading speed is pretty cool. My modem is like prolly 5-6m away, but my mum wouldn't let me use a cable because its not looking aesthetically pleasing. Goddamn non nerds.
Anyways, if you invest some good money, you'll most likely get something good. And WiFi is also pretty good, my speed is: Download: 13.733 kbps Upload: 972 kbps, am supposed to have something like 16k, but its the wall between adapter and modem

NaughtyMe

Rofl teh cake wrote:
I use a wireless adapter and I even had to buy a new one for Vista 64. Paid for it like 50€, shitload of money, but my downloading speed is pretty cool. My modem is like prolly 5-6m away, but my mum wouldn't let me use a cable because its not looking aesthetically pleasing. Goddamn non nerds.
Anyways, if you invest some good money, you'll most likely get something good. And WiFi is also pretty good, my speed is: Download: 13.733 kbps Upload: 972 kbps, am supposed to have something like 16k, but its the wall between adapter and modem

So all in all a safe haven for secret wanks if you lug your desktop there!
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

Mike
Ordered a twin pack of homeplugs. Should arrive tomorrow, hopefully I won't have to fight it to get it to work.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150039

Edited by Mike on 02-04-2009 17:05

Rofl teh cake
I still can't believe that you can receive your internets through the electric plug... this is madness, I mean the internet-making-factory has gone mad lol.

Mike
Removed wireless and plugged it in....and it worked straight away. It did come with CD software, but it seems to work perfectly without it. Downloading HL2 Episode 2 at constant 1.3mb/s with it now, compared to a dodgy 800kbps an hour ago with wireless. I still have yet to stress it with gaming though, I'll do that tonight on the TF2 server.

Ala Pimp my ride: Thanks Cleveridiots for pimping my wall sockets!

Cold
Yay my idea was success!
Wish I could afford homeplugs Sad

Rofl teh cake
It'd be pretty cool to have a direct connection to your modem...WLAN is alright, but its not the best... oh well. X)

Jump to Forum