cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
What make hard drives suck and die???
Tinger
Anyone have any Shock horror Shock stories Headbang ?

Reccomendations on hard drive manufacturers to avoid please Smile

NaughtyMe
Magnet-driven spin ups?
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

Mr G
I use a hard drive for 5/6 months and then relegate them to just storage devices. So Ive ended up with 5/6 HDs now. Ive mainly used maxtors, seagate , deskstar, ibm , Hitachi all run fine and haven't had a problem with any of them.

I do alot of defragging HD's which helps in the health of HDs. A few years ago i did have a very hot system and any drives in that where slow.

Sick found a nifty prog called HD tune http://www.hdtune.com/ which had some interesting results on spin and seek times. As for faulty drives triple bag them and but them in freezer or fridge (or outside atm lol) i know sick has been rescue data from a raid array this way.

Edited by Mr G on 04-02-2009 20:26

CenTinela
Some weeks ago, Seagate noticed a bug on many 7200.11, many people had to update their firmware.

Before the update, one of my 7200.11 died. And had to update the other one.

sick-lizard
careful with that firmware there has been soom bricking of drives & seagate have had to offer data recovery to all there customers with those affected models Sad

If you have speedfan(freeware monitoring util) installed it has a niffty feature which tells you in words how fit your hard drives & if its correctible or fail(goto smart tab & click on "Perform indepth online analysis of this hard drive")

Hard drives don't like heat any i have had running above 35oC for any length of time seemed to have had sectors fail.

If your hard drive has bee's on it, check using speedfan you have some spare sectors than use a low level formatting utility to remap the sectors Smile backup your data elsewhere & don't use this drive for precious data storage anymore! use it for trashable stuff like the os install Smile

sick-lizard
some of the output, although on a good drive as don't have a naughty one in a box at the moment..

"The average temperature for this hard disk is 38C (MIN=27C MAX=48C) and yours is 25C.
Your hard disk's S.M.A.R.T. attributes are now being analyzed and a full report about the reliability, health and status of your hard disk is generated:
Your hard disk is not below any attribute threshold. This is good.
Your hard disk was never below any attribute threshold. This is good.
Your hard disk is now being compared to real data used to define normal values for your specific hard disk model. This way, the analysis can automatically use proper operating ranges. The images give you an idea of how each attribute is within such range. Current and raw values are shown for easier reference for experienced users. There are 2300 hard disk models in the current archive.

Attribute Current Raw Overall
Raw Read Error Rate 100 0 Very good
Throughput Performance 100 0 Very good
Spin Up Time 128 3156 155 Very good
Start/Stop Count 100 40 Very good
Reallocated Sector Count100 0 Very good
Seek Error Rate 100 0 Very good
Seek Time Performance 100 0 Very good
Power On Hours Count 100 515 Very good
Spin Retry Count 100 0 Very good
Power Cycle Count 100 39 Very good
Power Off Retract Count 100 58 Very good
Load Cycle Count 100 58 Very good
Reallocated Event Count 100 0 Very good
Current Pending Sector 100 0 Very good
Offline Uncorrectable Se100 0 Very good
Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate200 0 Very good

All of the attributes of your hard disk have normal values. This is good.

The overall fitness for this drive is 99%.
The overall performance for this drive is 99%."

Jump to Forum