cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
Fallout 3
Raven
Recommended or Not?

been looking at it and undecided anyones thoughts on it?
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

Undead2k
If you liked Oblivion then you will like this game. Its pretty much Oblivion but set in a post-apocalyptic world. Ive been playing it over the past couple of days and its so addictive Sick

Abunai
Not a patch on the first 2, especially fallout 2 but it's still pretty good
i32.tinypic.com/1zqpwyv.jpg

wolflordandy
Hows the weird fps/rpg shooty system? It looked a bit gimpish in all honesty in the demo videos. Something that would get much mroe annoying then regular turn based combat. And I loved FO2 Sad

tijlehto
Bought it yesterday evening, figured I'd give it a spin before getting some sleep. Woke up to a "oh shit, it's 5 am" realization , still playing it. And the combat system seems to be quite nice, saying this as a big fan of the first 2 games of the series.

Haven't gotten far enough to say anything about the storyline, but the atmosphere is very similar to the original games in the series. And like earlier, definitely mature tone and unusually for lots of games, it plays believably as an evil bastard. So far it seems it deserves the 94 rating it got on metacritic which puts it in top 20 all time.

Now if someone could around to making a freshened up version of Planescape Torment, that storyline is still the best I've seen in a computer game.

Edited by tijlehto on 03-11-2008 14:58

yakuz
lol got it too, any of U tried to be an 'evil and selfish' character, I made one and it is soooo hard to actually do it, like with the children and people trying to do the right thing, when I tricked or exploited them I actually felt like a bad person, which i think is an incredible thing for a RPG to do Grin. I like the tactical fps combat style and it gets VERY satisfying with shotguns/mines on the big baddies.
Down sides in my opinion is the lack of direction if you don't want to find your dad(the reason your out there) like you can't ask any characters about other citys/settlements to go to so you just have to stumble about the map till you find one.

tijlehto

yakuz wrote:
Down sides in my opinion is the lack of direction if you don't want to find your dad(the reason your out there) like you can't ask any characters about other citys/settlements to go to so you just have to stumble about the map till you find one.

That, and finding ammo. It really does feel like a post-apocalypse scarcity where nobody knows how to manufacture things anymore and finding an intact rifle cartridge is a rarity. Exploring downtown DC with my humble character atm, who knew dogs were that nasty (COD4 players come to mind..Smile).

Rofl teh cake
Fuck those dogs.

"WHAT? I PRESSED V ON THE RIGHT TIME, WHAT THE FUCK."

Or was it F? nvm.

Ramini
Decided to get it while I was in town today since I knew my internet would be down during the day for monday and tuesday. Definitely takes after oblivion in a big way. I never played the first two fallouts and so since there all these people who say its a worse game those must have been really good. *chuckles at the fanboys*

The combat system is nice, I consider myself a decent shot but I still uses that VATS all the time. I've not really had a problem with ammo either though.. possibly because I'm mainly using my spiked knuckles to kill everything. Since ammo weighs nothing I was able to hoard it for ages before I started using guns even.

The karma does indeed make you feel bad.. its that little notice that says karma lost and a unhappy character I reckon.

I've only got 2 faults with it so far, firstly one I had with oblivion, autosave happens all the time and overwrites, if you accidentally cause trouble in the town you lose hours of time. I attempted to..avenge..*spoiler* near the beginning and everyone turned on me. Thats meant to be a feature that means you can't easily undo what you've done though I believe.

Secondly, I'm using my fists alot. I seem to kill everyone by punching all their limbs off. Also, I just got the "Bloody Mess" perk and now people randomly explode when i punch them in the chest. I'm not complaining about punching limbs off, I'm all in favour of abandoning realism in the name of fun. But why if I punch a guy in the head do his legs come off!
Been playing it for about 8 hours now, reached a stage where I'm completely out of stimpacks and going to have to scavenge around for them. Came across possibly the worst named town ever and need to get resources to help them.

I'll probably have an even bigger rant next week as a review thingy on my blog again Grin

Edited by Ramini on 04-11-2008 02:36

Raven
Yeah thats the first thinkg that popped in my head was oblivion style, i like the vats thats pretty funny i might have to buy it sometime dunno when as mirrors edge is coming out aswell
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

yakuz
Stimktaks? i never seem to need them, i have 100+ hoarded on my character, just get discover a place then run off back to my home and sleep up to full HP. Any of you got a companion, you need negative karma but i have jerico for 1000caps, and he does more damage than me when i'm out of AP lol. And he has infinite ammo so i let him deal with all those critters that aren't worth it like feral ghouls etc. I'm considering losing him though as i think he is a bit overpowered. any of u got a companion? and is there one you can get with good karma as i have jerico on my merc char and was looking for one for my goodie.

Edited by yakuz on 04-11-2008 16:42

Ramini
theres apparently 2 companions for good, evil and neutral as well as 2 that will accept you regardless, not got one yet though.
I was playing the game as a goody goody, but poor. I decided to help one group over another, partially for the moral highground but also since the other side had alot of cash. Stripped the entire building of loot and now I have my house almost fully kitted out and a silly amount of ammo for all the weapons.
Really fun though, not been to many places but quite a few of the locations are games in their own right. The resident evil/silent hill style hospital is my favourite so far Grin
I confess I'm exploring because the mutants massacred me last time I faced them though Devil

yakuz
Any of you made a successful sneak character? bcos i have one and he is good in cities breaking and stealing/pickpocketing (making a small fortune btw) but when i try to stealth in combat i seem to always get spotted or it takes me soo long to sneak up to them i might aswell have just popped him. (although reverse grenade pickpocketing someone is possibly the coolest thing on this game!)

Edited by yakuz on 05-11-2008 13:06

Ramini
Mines an explosives, small guns, unarmed and hacking expert.
Then I found the shishkebob, I wish you could respec. Working on increasing my stealth skills at the moment just because fighting in all out combat is getting me hurt badly. Since I went straight and started making money helping different groups in DC as well as the regulators I've got 5000 bottlecaps and 1200 assault rifle ammo so not exactly in need of much. Found my first magnum though, they are head explodingly brilliant. As are Nuka Grenades. Don't get me started on the Rock-it launcher.
If none of you have done it yet I suggest going to the capitol building, make a fortune and its fun.

frosty
fallout3 is to much of an rpg for me, for those looking for something else, try dead space, its way more fun imo, the plot is quite predictable but the combat is good fun & when the action stops and your forced into a moment involving other characters the transition is seemless, giving a more immersive feeling than fallout (the character interaction in fallout really put me off it, especially the birthday party bit)

Edited by frosty on 06-11-2008 17:53

tijlehto
I tried the stealth thing for a bit. And yeah, planting grenades or mines on people with the reverse pickpocket is a funny stunt. Can get that pants exploded counter up at least. Mostly the stealth is just useful for sneak attack crits, in my experience. Few weapons pack much of a punch from the distance where you stay hidden against the more dangerous critters, it's good for legshotting yao gai (sp?) and deathclaws before they get up close and shred you up.

I beat the game once already, just taking my time playing through it again now, turns out I missed a whole lot of things on the first run.

Undead2k
Ive been hearing that its a really short game, even with all the side quests. I just cant wait for the mods :3

militant camel
Is it a resource hog? Would it run ok on an 8600 GTS?

Ramini
Not really a short game, taken me just under 30 hours to get to level 20, not finished the main quest yet or explored half of the hidden areas.
Unfortunately there is no respec and so I've resorted to using console commands to finish off my character. Think I'll play through again on hard rather than explore it all again, games far to easy on default. Now have a hundred magnum ammo, 300 shotgun ammo, over a thousand smg and assault rifle ammo, I sell all my energy weapons, got loads of grenades, mines, missiles and even mini-nukes. As well as 10k bottlecaps.

As for the birthday party, I really loved that. As a character creation method its brilliant. Also it made me actually care about the inhabitants of vault 101 which made the choice later on actually hard. Theres lots of times I've done or not done things on principle despite it being a game. Stealing food from escaped slaves, slaughtering cannibals. I'm being sent to the slaver city at the moment. I'm going to see how they like a mini nuke.

Also, don't go to a little town in the west called Old Olney. *shudder* I've never been so grateful to my companion as when I got to the middle of there.

JunkfoodMan
Well, I finished the quest thing where you have to find that retard boy's father amongst oodles of fire ants or something. What annoyed me was the lack of ability to tell the kid to fuck off and kill the rest himself. I'm trying to make a hitler-esque character, but the damn game wont let me =( (before anybody says "But you helped the kid!" I took pride in announcing the bad news. Not personally, but I like to somewhat roleplay when I'm playing a Roleplaying game)
Good game, yes, but fable 1-like choice system. I recommend.

Jump to Forum