cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
FC AL
RoboPope
I have just aquired this little SAN with some 300gb 15k FC AL disks. I *could* rebuild to boot from it but is it worth it? HD Tune gives random seek times under 1ms-1 and really rather savage sustained write time

Is it worth the effort, thoughts?
Brought up in the hard streets of Eton in a life of insufferable wealth...

sick-lizard
you lucky devil, not sure about the effort but are we talking about using it for PXE booting & running diskless workstations muhahah....

RoboPope
Thats the kiddie, just booting off an EVA 4100. Its done wonders for my databases for query times and it will keep the house warm too. the cards are 4gb with a single 800mb channel just windows is kind of shite at data transfer but it should boot really rather nicely

I have to wire in a couple of 16amp commando sockets though Sad

Edited by RoboPope on 12-10-2008 19:57

Brought up in the hard streets of Eton in a life of insufferable wealth...

tijlehto

RoboPope wrote:
*snip*.. and it will keep the house warm too. *snip*

Reminds me of the old school Wang VS mainframes we used to have lying around at work, you could feel the house vibrate a little when you spun the whole rig with it's disk banks and the like up, kept in their own dinosaur pen with those wrist thick power cables running around Smile And yes, it did keep the house warm, raised temperature by something like 3C in the winter by itself.

Back on topic: Have you by chance measured the performance of that rig against something like a fast 64GB flash SSD? The read/write profile on those tends to be better fit with how windows uses the disk when it boots up, fast reads of random blocks all over the place. The HD box is probably more for high throughput big block reads, yes?

sick-lizard
SSD flash nice but he got this kit for free Smile I'm just jealous, now if only my work would decide they no longer wanted there netapp filer Smile

sick-lizard
http://www.openfiler.com/ NAS/SAN Linux based OS that works nicely if you have spare kit about Smile

Jump to Forum