cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
Planetside Discussion
wolflordandy
Cause we evidently have quite a few randomers from PS, and we keep talking slightly about it on various topics!

So, i was werner NC under wolflordandy (br25 cr5) in the 58th Marine Corp (The wildcards) outfit Grin

Who else played, for how long, and did you love or hate bfrs? (I was indifferent on the whole, enjoyed new things to kill and forced teamplay, but thought they were too solo orientated for the pilot)

Locke
One of the greatest and most underrated games ever made.....well before SOE Fucked it over with BFR's and the Battle Islands.

Was a leader of Wolf Pak on Emerald, VS Side. We were the 2nd / 3rd biggest most active outfit on the server. Under LockeVS (BR20 CR4 *CR5 takes an iceage!kiss

Epic memorys of me leading a 30man+ Vanguard (I think that was the name of the VS's MBT) platoon to a NC controlled base and basicaly destroying the lot of them Grin.

Hated BFR's and quit very soon after they came out, The underground cavern things were also pritty fail.

Favourite stuff in PS was lone wolf sniping (Can you tell from Tf2?), Gunning for a Liberator or MBT and Mad MAX Rush's Grin
img238.imageshack.us/img238/4091/lockesig1po8.jpg

Epic Quotes from Mr Lazor - "time for a penis break". and "is crit japanese for clit?".

Tim
I agree, as I said in the other thread, it's the most fun I've had in an MMO.

Played it since beta and a few months in to the live game, until about October 2003, so I missed all the truly shit stuff that came out.

Founded the BMC outfit on Werner, TR. I also enjoyed playing sniper, but I probably spent most of my time as a ninja. Used to whizz around in my mosquito, land in places and stealth about trying to hack stuff. Great fun. Or I'd use the cycler a lot in general play, that was a great gun.

Also lots of good memories: epic bridge battles, base defence in the rain... one time the forum organised an "anti-war protest" where quite a number of people from each faction gathered at a specific gate, and we all marched through the island shouting "Cease fire!" Heheh, it was awesome. Afterwards we all traded faction-specific weapons.

I'd kill for a decent successor to Planetside. Could be great fun again. Welkin looks kindof hopeful but it's still too confusing for non-Chinese people.

wolflordandy
Azure twilight is the place to be, join their forums, and they're working with the welkin devs to help sort out the english version. As they didnt think anyone would want it outside of China... so were shocked when loads of Americans and EU people started sneaking in and not having a clue.

I'll post a link laters Smile

You missed out with the loadstar/liberator expansion. And I hear the phantasm (yeah it finally got released, the "minigal" that could cloak with no guns)

and other vehcle varients were all good. BFRs... yes they were totally out of balance, but later on they were just support vehcles, soon as they got too close they died, which worked.

I liked Core combat, you either got a nice tiny skirmish, or a huge pop-locked cave fight which was manic. You'd have no aircraft due to close confines and AA being evil... twas all good.

(oh, and 4 year vets now get a flamethrower, it rocks)

Fens
Bah all these Smurfs and Barneys, up the TR! Smile Loved PS, played it to death untill Core Combat and BFR's came along.

It definately served up some absolutely classic gaming moments - not sure if anything will ever quite come close to hot dropping onto a base/tower with your outfit in the middle of a huge 3 way battle, or stealthing behing enemy lines and marking an AMS for Orbital Strike Grin

Would love to see a sequal with improved gfx some day, still waiting on Huxley for my mmofps fix - though it has taken forever just to get to closed beta Sad

wolflordandy
Huxley wont be anything similar mate. Its at max 64 man battles i think. And its all instanced. Basicly you're on a large 3d interactive fps server selection program for UT07 (I think thats the engine they've used)

Welkin is what you wanna see, its planetside... but different.

http://azuretwilight.org/index.php?we...php?welkin

have a look at some of the videos their. You can tell its the same engine. But hopefully its a bit more refined with less bugs, etc.

Fens
Yea I know that Huxley is based around the UT3 engine and not really anything like PS, but I am a fan of the UT series anyways and I like some of Webzens ideas, just need to see how much actually makes it to release Pfft

Those Welkin vids do indeed look very similar to PS, will keep my eye on it Smile

Jump to Forum