cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
new monitor & graphics
Don Pedro
I is bored of my samsung 32" TV as a monitor, highest res is 1366x768 which is pretty shoddy on such a big screen.
I want a new high res monitor minimum 24" but maybe 30".

anyone got something like this? i want some first hand knowledge before i splash da cash. It needs to double up for movies and TV viewing

I am also thinking of getting new graphics maybe 4870. which would mean there are 2x 8800gts 512mb cards going, any offers? one of which has a rather large aftermarket heatsink and fan which means its v.quiet but biiiiig.

mrbreckles
Id be looking to take one of your 8800's off your hands.
What you wanting for it?

Tim
I got this just a couple of weeks ago: http://www.cclonline.com/product-info...turer_id=0

It's very nice, 1920x1200, 24", 2ms response, and it has HDMI input for your movies and TV viewing. I couldn't be happier with it. I only use it for games though, which means I sit a lot closer to it that I would if I were watching TV, so 24" is more than big enough. You'll probably want something bigger for TV, I guess.

Edited by Tim on 08-07-2008 14:31

Bios
I can HIGHLY recommend a Hyundai W240D-TN don

Its got all the inputs of a TV (HDMI, component, DVI, VGA) which is more than most TFTs, the quality is absolutely superb! no input lag, no ghosting, mine only has 1 lazy pixel which is right down the bottom and only dodgy on one clour (which is completely unnoticeable unless on a completely black screen)

blacks are very deep, colours are very vibrant, cost me about £330

For a TN panel its probably the best ive ever had the pleasure of using, only way you'll get better colour reproduction and viewing angles is by going with a VA of IPS panel (which will be a bigger dent in your pocket)

Specs:
- 24"
- 1920x1200
- 16.7 Million Colours
- 3000:1 Contrast Ratio
- 2ms Response Time
- 500 cd/m2 Brightness
- Viewing Angle (H/V): 160°/ 160° (TN Panel)
- One DVI-D Input w/HDCP Support
- One Analogue Input
- One Component Input
- One HDMI Input

coupled with an ATI 4870 you honestly cant go wrong Grin wouldnt recommend going for 2x4850s as while crossfire scales well you wont see as much performance out of 2 lower spec cards as you would with 1 higher spec card (in the same variety of games that is)

I use mine for mainly games, movies, nintendo Wii etc and i cant fault it
server2.uploadit.org/files/mrbios-biossig.jpg

Don Pedro
hows about some of these dell bad boys?
dell 27

or

even more bonkers

[url=http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-023-DE&groupid=703&catid=17&subcat=1121&name=Dell%20Ultrasharp%203008WFP%2030%22%20Widescreen%20LCD%20Monitor%20-%20Midnight%20Grey]dell30
[/url]

Bios
the Dell 30" is an awesome monitor, no comments on the 27 as ive not seen it, only problem with the 30" is it may feel a little bit sluggish for gaming
server2.uploadit.org/files/mrbios-biossig.jpg

sick-lizard

Don Pedro wrote:
hows about some of these dell bad boys?
dell 27

or

even more bonkers

[url=http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-023-DE&groupid=703&catid=17&subcat=1121&name=Dell%20Ultrasharp%203008WFP%2030%22%20Widescreen%20LCD%20Monitor%20-%20Midnight%20Grey]dell30
[/url]

aren't they for pro gfx whores that don't watch films or play games?

I'm also in the market for same kit.. and would have probably gone for this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpro...ack/Silver

had it not been a pre-order jobbie Sad

Edited by sick-lizard on 08-07-2008 17:57

Don Pedro
you see ^, i go to all the trouble of hiding my link and sick puts in that monster...
sacked Grin

sick-lizard
hey at least its a link lol more than some ppl can manage.. but you do get extra brownie points Grin

Edited by sick-lizard on 08-07-2008 18:20

Tim
Another good thing about the Acer, it's normally about £320 or so, only £265 from those boys at ccl. I can vouch from them as that's where I got mine from. It seems to have almost exactly the same specs as the Hyundai posted above. Image quality is superb.

It was recommended by a good friend of mine, he seems to know anything and everything about TVs and monitors, if you give me a price range I can ask him and he'll come up with some good options for you.

ShiftyJaffa
I got the samsung T27 6ms response, SPVA panel which is the best imo, I worried about the response time, but unless you have really high mouse sensitivity you dont see it anything less than 8 should be fine, though mine aint cheap coming in at 800 quid.
checkout this place, http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/, they got a tft selector wizard and a good basic faq plus they will probably have a review on most panels. Avoid the TN panels if I were you, they are a lot cheaper and have fast response times, but the viewing angles and colour spread are poor, u get what u pay for.
Oh and if you want one with 2560 x 1600 res (usually 30"+), check your graphics card supports that size.

Edited by ShiftyJaffa on 08-07-2008 18:27

Tim
Yeah, this is true about TN-panels, although for me viewing angle isn't a factor whatsoever, depends what you're doing with it I suppose (and I wouldn't call it "poor" ... just "not as good". As usual, it depends on how much you wanna pay.

Edited by Tim on 08-07-2008 18:39

sick-lizard
dam you shifty lol that is so useful that I kinda of had idea what i wanted before I looked over that site.. now less sure of what to go for Smile

nax23
u need an eizo monitor!
without that u r nobody

jem58
Err methinks a eizo monitor is a bit much just for gaming. Graphic design, sure it's justifiable, but flawless colour reproduction doesn't make that much difference for something like tf2 Pfft

NaughtyMe
You people have wayyyy too much money - I use a modded Gameboy Advance screen.
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

Tinger
Advance!!!!!! hey at least you have colour

Say
Hey I have small nepalese kids re-enacting the tf2 matches. When one gets a headshot damn it's a bastard to clean off the walls.

Don Pedro
orly? is that the only thing you use him for....?

sick-lizard
say you have this wrong your supposed to earn income from the poor nepalese children & use the earnings to fund your life of luxery, get them to do the work Grin

Jump to Forum