cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
Graphic Card Question
Rofl teh cake
Alright, I've got myself a new graphic card, which is.....hang on...*looking at the box* a...Gainward Bliss 8600GT PCX from Nvidia, 512 MB and passive cooling...and I had a...hang on again....Radeon X1650 SE 512MB with a lil ventilator on it.

Well, my question is, is it better to go for passive cooling or active? I herd some of my friends saying that it'll suck cawk when the temperatures outside are going higher..

Will I expericence any difference in the gaming? I'm confused, since I always go for the number, which is in both cases 512MB..thanks in advance.

Bios
So your talking purely about cooling? im a bit confused by your questions

the only differance between passive and active cooling is wether you want a quiet computer or a noisy one Pfft active cooling is generally better than passive, passive will run hotter (in most circumstances) active should in most circumstances be cooler thus enabling you to overclock a card further

you wont notice the slightest difference in gaming........unless of course if your card overheats Grin

All passively cooled cards are tested and designed to cope with the regular household temperatures (and higher)

They both have there ups and downs, active gets stuffed full of dust quicker than passive, but active will (when dust free and in most circumstances) be cooler - active can be loud, dependent on fan speed - passive is silent

Edited by Bios on 02-07-2008 15:19

server2.uploadit.org/files/mrbios-biossig.jpg

mrbreckles
Indeed, it depends on whether you're OC'ing the card.
If you're not then you'll be alright with the stock fan.
Ive got a crappy card 7300gt, but ive OC'd it to be as good as a 7900 and im just using the standard fan and havnt had any problems (apart from when i OC'd it too far) but ive got it stable now and the temp is pretty low compared to some forums ive read regarding overclocking a 7300gt.

Bios

Ive got a crappy card 7300gt, but ive OC'd it to be as good as a 7900

lol thats a new one, you've overclocked it but it wont be anywhere near the performance of a 7900 even if the clocks are the same Pfft
server2.uploadit.org/files/mrbios-biossig.jpg

Rofl teh cake
Aight, thanks for the prompt answers. Smile

gori11a
Shouldn't have any problems as long as your case cooling is good enough to push out the heat from the new graphic cardCool
if only i had something funny or clever to put here........

mrbreckles

Bios wrote:

Ive got a crappy card 7300gt, but ive OC'd it to be as good as a 7900

lol thats a new one, you've overclocked it but it wont be anywhere near the performance of a 7900 even if the clocks are the same Pfft

Fair enough.

Jump to Forum