cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
Stats on TF2 a bad thing, discuss
Tinger
So what do you guys think?

Raven
Im not that arsed bout rank no more cus its just gonna get reset so now i just play for fun Smile

img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

ShiftyJaffa
I still look at em, becuase some bits are interesting. I don't put much enphasis on the points and rankings anymore because some people play more than others. For points and rankings to really be accurate there needs to be some sort of calculation involving the amount of time spent playing.

In addition to this your stats are severly affected depnding on the teams. If the teams are poorly balanced and you are on the bad side, you get shit stats. Equally if the opposing team is full of new people and you are ranked high you get poor stats. This is a team game after all, and you are only a small bit of it.

Not sure if i've mentioned this before, but it would be the ultimate in team balancing to have a team shuffle based on the stats. Not sure if you can access the hlstats database from a script though, I suspect not?

Armacoast
I just play for a good match. That's why i'am on the Ci server.

Stats are not that bad but if you play only for the stats go medic or engi!!!
i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Armacoast/9b3200whoa.gif

Fallen Seraph
Yeah, arma's hit the nail on the head. Points for medi in both hlstatsx and in-game are way imba imo. I really hope valve tweak it, for in game. But seeing how medic is (allegedly) so underused on other, more public, servers I doubt we'll ever see it Sad

Sammage
There's probably a correlation between the team with the most points and the winning team, but it encourages bad play just for the sake of points also. For example, having more than x4 on a cap point so everyone can claim their 2 points bonus.

I think giving engis and medics more points for doing what they do is excellent if it does actually encourage people to play those classes.

Hlstats and stuff, I find it cool but an actual ranking is more meaningless than in-game points for the reasons shifty posted. I enjoy the page though, I use it to see what classes I haven't played recently Smile

jem58
Yeah I used to (really) care but I don't really pay much attention any longer. It's more a gauge of how much free time you have than anything else. Medic points are fine imo, the stats just seem dominated by medics atm because we have some bloody good medics on the server.

To be quite honest I didn't like being on top of the stats really, mainly because I'm fully aware that other players are better than me. I only do well in the stats because unless I have a decent medic around I really don't play that aggressively, hence the silly kpd.

Don Pedro
stats, used to love, now i can't be arsed
I suppose some medics give people at the top of stats more ubers in the hopes they will get more points themselves....
Although, i personally would not condone such stat whoring behaviourShock

Tinger
Its just the way some people play because of the stats.

They aint playing for the team win they are just playing for the stats Sad and sod everyone else on there team

Don Pedro
although, to be fair, people at the top of stats are more likely to be good players meaning they are more effective with a medic attached than some other players...
meaning the medics are making the most of their ubers for the team by being with the most effective players....?
meaning something
looking for meaning

gori11a
What stats... whereShock
if only i had something funny or clever to put here........

jem58
Meaning that all medics should concentrate on a certain chubby heavy camping the second point on stage 1 of dustbowl like a mofo and never, ever be in the situation where said heavy doesn't have a steady stream of ubers, meaning that DAMN YOU DONNNNNNNNN

Tinger
Its not the score that I have a problem with, that is good thing
A medic would be stupid not to use it. As ubering a better player at the right time in the right place helps the whole team .It is stat whoring and not playing the team game and just playing for one's own gain I have the problem with

Mr G
I always wondered if any people actual played a certain way to lets say smooth the stats.

Megalomania
I look at my KDR from time to time (I try to keep it above two) but not my rank so much. I used to, but it was just stressing me out Grin

Ramini
I used to really like the stats, I still seem to be one of the few people with them in my sig. But then if I wanted to be at the top of the stats I'd just play sniper all the time since I tend to rack up the most kills with them. Since I play everything even though I suck sometimes I don't really care now. I like them for the awards though.

Position on the list means more about the time you've played than skill though. Perfectly possible to tell how good someone is while playing. Theres the soliders I'll happily run up to and machete since I know they can't hit me and the heavys I'll flee from at sight.

krakyn
Stats aren't a bad thing its how you interact thats important. If you play purely to do well in them its not good, but they can be useful.

Players near the top do tend to be better so if you are a medic you will uber/heal them more because they will achieve more most of the time (I have seen most the players in the top 20 waste ubers as well) so they will stay at the top, but thats not always true Mr G is ranked rather low but if he is on you can bet a medic who knows him will stick to him due to his killing machine nature.

Do medics get too many points well look at their role, healing someone can make all the difference in a fight let alone ubering them, you have to recognize that and valve seem to want to encourage it. Maybe HLstatsX shouldn't give them so many for some things but it doesn't count healing done so that has to be factored in somewhere.

As soon as you put a ranking system on something some people will want to be the best its human nature, it might be interesting if the ranking system was removed but the stats remained so you could still look at your play trends you just couldn't see where that placed you with everyone else. Probably more trouble than its worth to do it though.

Locke
used to love them.

Then I reallised i'd stopp'd doing stupid things like Meleeing for fun and suicidal pyro rush's.

Now I just ignore em. Check my rank from time to time outa interest.
img238.imageshack.us/img238/4091/lockesig1po8.jpg

Epic Quotes from Mr Lazor - "time for a penis break". and "is crit japanese for clit?".

Abunai
Before the first reset; i hated them, due to the fact i was still adjusting from TFC
After first reset; loved them for a while cos i was doing good, then was inactive and couldn't climb back up -> hated.

Now; cba.
i32.tinypic.com/1zqpwyv.jpg

agrippa
i love stats because they reveal stuff that people normally dont think about... i did a post about some interesting stats pre-reset somewhere that put the stats in a different light. Thats as far as my interest extends in them tho.

EDIT::

My original post on the pre-stat wipe tf2 server stats (shameless repost alert)::

*Don Pedro has more kills as a heavy than the rest of the top 5 heavies' kills combined.

*Shifty and Mr White between them account for 15% of all rocket kills on the server.

*Shifty and Mr White's combined rocket kills alone mean that they account for about 5% of all the kills on the server with any weapon...Thats two people (on a server tracking 16 000 players) making 1 in every 20 kills during the past 3 weeks.

*Dispite the universal recgonition that the pyro is underpowered, the flame thrower is currently the 4th most effective weapon on the CI server.

*Of the top 25 players, Jem is the most efficient with a 3-to-1 Kill/death ratio. The least efficient is Roadpizza with about 3 deaths for every kill. However as Roadpizza is 3 different players, this award should really be split between Rofl the cake, Messer and Shoulda Fire Ma Lazor?, as they are all having roughly 2 deaths for every kill.

*Phen0 Is the most prolific sniper on the server, but the most accurate sniper in the top 25 is 5p00nX3, 83% of his kills are from headshots. The least accurate of the top 25 snipers is Locke (64% kills are headshots). Clearly while 5p00nX3 is hitting people between their eyes, Locke is shooting "stuff in that direction"...

*The Demomans primary weapon is only 2/3 as effective as the secondary weapon and that of the top 10 Remote pipe bombers only Fens, El Pistolero, jem58 and Gori11a also appear in the top 10 normal pipe bombers. When the totals are combined Jem comes out just ahead of everyone else.

*More people have been killed by melee weapons (115866 kills) than by remote pipe bombs (114,462).

*Shifty has telefragged more people than anyone else. Hes telefragged more people than he has killed using the bat, the bonesaw, fists, engie's pistol, flamethrower, Scout shotgun, machette or any spy weapon.

*Raven is apparently CI's most hated player as he has suffered nearly 2 times the number of deaths compared to any other CI member. the nearest Non-CI member in the death list is F.3.F.3.

*23 of the top 50 players are from outside of the UK. Germany is apparently the most deadly country with 5 of their countrymen in the top 50, beating out Sweden with only 4. Dispite this, it is a Finnish national (El Pistolero) who is currently the highest ranked player from outside the UK.

*The Bonesaw has killed more people than the Medic gun apparently (Althou perhaps this is becuase HLstats isnt monitering the new medic gun properly?)

*Of the top 10 players who have spent the most time on the server, only F. 3. F. 3. and Rofl the cake are not Ci or CI^2 members.

Edited by agrippa on 18-06-2008 22:28

Jump to Forum