cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » idle chat
 Print Thread
Treated myself to a new mouse and pad.
Izzard
It has recently occurred to me that my £4.99 PC Line optical mouse really isn't cutting it for FPS games. I just can't get my crosshair to go where I want. Partly because the cursor jumps around a bit as you try to move it in smooth curves/lines and partly because - when I spin around - half the time it just ignores me! It's like it just can't track fast enough for quick movements.

I realize this comes as no surprise to anyone who has ever spent decent money on a 'proper' mouse for gaming!

So I went out today and bought the following...

Saitek GM3200 Laser mouse:

img3.pconline.com.cn/pconline/0702/01/955936_stk-zy070201-2.jpg

I'm not saying it's the best, but it was affordable at £30 rather than the very tempting £60 MS Habu™ mouse ("Powered by Razer precision").

This Saitek features 3200dpi, on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment (800/1600/2400/3200), 6 programmable buttons and LED status indicators. It can also have pre-configured profiles with a switch to change between them on the mouse. On the bottom it has little metal cartridges so you can distribute the weight around the mouse as you like. And plates on the bottom which are reversible so you can choose between little teflon feet or big teflon pads.

What a load of fettered dingoes kidneys, eh? Ah well, we'll see how I get on with it.

I also lashed out on a very decent-looking mouse mat...

Allsop Redmond Mousepad:

usaentusmanos.com/images/7996779_sa.jpg

I thought it would be fantastic as my free, plastic mat from work slides around the place and is inconsistent. This one is metal and very heavy, with a full rubberised base and a large surface area. Great!

...except that it's actually crap. It has fine vertical lines over the surface which make the mouse totally unusable. Well done Allsop, you idiots. Your "specially engineered textured surface designed to ensure precise cursor control, optimise mouse speed and accuracy" is complete rubbish. It's going back to the shop.

Edited by Izzard on 07-06-2008 02:51

NaughtyMe
I have an Everglide Titan mouse mat. Huge soft mat that rocks with optical and laser. You don't want a hard mat for "smooth" mice without a ball in.

If you must have a hard surface because you push down hard a lot - couldn't go more wrong than this:

http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/mo...series-sp/

Edited by NaughtyMe on 06-06-2008 18:41

click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

Izzard
If you move your mouse very, very slowly.. ..does the pointer stay where it is? Cos mine does!

Edited by Izzard on 06-06-2008 21:00

Cold
lol, no.

got a razer deathadder and steelpad 4d mat here, recommend both highly Smile

gori11a
deathadder ftwGrin
if only i had something funny or clever to put here........

Raven
thxs to dons kindness Grin he sent me a Razer Lachesis in the post

The funny thing is it actually said on the box to Raven lol the post women was rather confused Smile
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

Locke
Isn't it past you bed time raven Wink
img238.imageshack.us/img238/4091/lockesig1po8.jpg

Epic Quotes from Mr Lazor - "time for a penis break". and "is crit japanese for clit?".

Raven
Heck no just found the Caramelldansen on youtube now Smile

Edited by Raven on 07-06-2008 02:49

NaughtyMe
I think it's each to his own between Logitech and Razor mice.

Logitech is better for fingerttip-clickers (ooo errr) and Razor's are better for whole-finger-clickers (wheeee)
click->
cleveridiot.com/images/photoalbum/album_12/sig2smallercx5.jpg<-click

Join me in Tribes 2: [url]https://account.hirezstu

nicolastheadept
Fingertip FTW! Grin
I got the Logitech G5. My one complaint is the sideways scroll thing, its quite easy to horizontal scroll when you're trying to middle click. Sad

sick-lizard
g5 & titan pad works well.. next time i'll either get a small titan pad or 2 big ones as they are so huge two would cover most of my desk.. had a rap padz gs before & that worked quite well but it was a hard textured pad & I wore it smooth after a year or so

.. the g5 can annoy as I don't seem to be able to bind keys nicely ingame can bind buttons 1,2 & 3 but no more ingame Sad

Edited by sick-lizard on 07-06-2008 10:05

Flying
I'm with the Steelpad 4D. I've had it since late 2004 and still using it. Although I must admit it's wearing off now. I'm in need of a new one..
Control yourself
Take only what you need from him

Izzard
Off-topic: Does anyone else find this forum doesn't mark posts as "read"? I.e. it still indicates there are new replies since your last visit even when you've visited the thread?
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it's all about?

Fallen Seraph
it is very weird. when I look at the forum while booted in on windows nothing ever gets marked as read, and also everything appears in italics. However, when I have a look while in ubuntu, it all works.

Izzard
Linux working better than Windows? How is that weird?

Fallen Seraph
oooo! Shock them's fighting words around some parts

Edited by Fallen Seraph on 07-06-2008 11:54

sick-lizard
its a either a cache related issue which maybe affected by the gzip compression & this is upacked client side so maybe ubuntu/firefox handles this a bit better or it maybe that I need to mod the forum header somwhate..but as we are working on fusion 7 beta.. http://fusion.cleveridiot.com/ I'm not really going to look at this issue unless its still present in the beta or version 7 looks like taking an unusually long time to be released Smile

Edited by sick-lizard on 07-06-2008 12:02

Raven
Ooooh i like i like beta version 7...Grin

Izzard
Not that anyone is interested, but a little update on my mouse and pad:

I really wanted that pad to work but it just made the mouse jump all over the place. I assumed it was the pattern of fine lines, so I got my fat permanent marker and covered the entire surface in several layers of dark blue ink. Pretty cool idea, huh?

Made it a LOT worse. Really weird. Seems to be because it made it more shiny. Obviously coating it in matt magnolia emulsion is not a great idea because it would get grubby very quickly. So instead I cleaned all the ink off (very easy with a bit of bleach) and got some Ajax and a rough sponge. ...and scoured the surface slightly all over.

Result: perfect! The pad still looks and feels the same - but the gloss finish on it has now gone. Very pleased. The only problem is that if any liquid gets on it like a droplet of water, it ruins the tracking again. This is a problem when Say is moaning over the microphone in TF2 because it makes me moist and I then can't aim properly.

Anyway - I think this shows what a difference a decent mouse makes for me!...

85.214.25.178/cw001804/server_400_152_2_tf_1_120_1_1702.png

Edited by Izzard on 15-06-2008 11:12

Say

Izzard wrote:
This is a problem when Say is moaning over the microphone in TF2 because it makes me moist and I then can't aim properly.

hey hey you can't blame me!

Jump to Forum