cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
What to buy
mrbreckles
Lets say i have £1000 and want the best PC for the money.
What would you guys reccomend?
This isnt including a monitor or any other perpheral, just the machine itself.
Although, within your ideas, if there is any extra money, feel free to reccomend items like monitors, keyboards etc.
Appreciate the help.

gori11a
Nice budgetWink Are u building this yourself?

if only i had something funny or clever to put here........

mrbreckles
It would be a self build yeah.

nax23
950€

Intel Q6600 G0 Boxed (95W)
_Alternativ: Intel Q9300 Boxed
ASUS P5K-E WiFi
_Alternativ: ASUS P5E or Abit IP35 Pro
4GB G.Skill 800MHz CL5
_Alternativ: 4GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz CL5
HD 3870 X2
be quiet Dark Power Pro P7 550W (KM)
_Alternativ: Enermax MODU82+ 625W (KM) or Tagan PipeRock 600W (KM) or Corsair HX 620W (KM)
Samsung F1 1000GB
_Alternativ: 2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB or Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1000GB
LG GH20NS
_Alternativ: ASUS DRW-2014L1T or LG GSA-H66N or Samsung SH-S203

agrippa
For extra bits :

Medusa 5.1 headphones: http://www.medusa-uk.com/medusa-51-pr...p-300.html
They are a wonderful piece of kit. Presumably you are goign to buy a sound card that supports 5.1 or better so they are well worth it.

Logitech G15 Keyboard:
http://www.nextag.co.uk/Logitech-G15-...D3C52F3C05. I dont have one myself but Most people seem to love them. Tbh if i had the cash to burn i would get one.

Logitech G5 Mouse:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/periphe...g-Mouse/p1. Again if i had the money i would have one by now. Ive used these before and really liked them. The main boon is how easy it is to customise. Variable mouse weight, on the fly Dpi response change, great software support.... its a great piece of kit.

I know the thread is about the Computer and the hardware inside, but the peripherals on my computer currently were top of the line when i got them and im still using them today without any problems. All of the peripherals i have are older than any of the parts in my current system set up. Just saying that its worth investing in them too.

EDIT:: All bar the headset, thats new.

Edited by agrippa on 04-06-2008 15:46

nax23
isnt the Medusa 5.1 headset very heavy?
i tested some 5.1 headsets some time ago(about 1 year ago) and they were all to heavy -> uncomfortable

agrippa
mine arent but there are different models. The one i have was vv comfortable from the moment i put it on. That said there are probably 5.1 headsets that are a bit bulky, try it on in a shop if you can?

Edited by agrippa on 04-06-2008 15:48

Flying
I'd skip the quad cores because at this point no game takes advantage of it. Hence you'd be paying extra cash for less. Either go with the E8400 and overclock it or wait till january next year for all new Intel nehalem processors. Also like skip the P35 chipset, P45 is out.

Also wouldn't buy a graphicscard at this point as new ones are going to be hardlaunched in a week or two.
Control yourself
Take only what you need from him

sick-lizard
I find Medussa's are quite light too & have no issues wearing them for a couple of hours.. now if only mike boost would stay off in source...

I too love the G5.. I did light the saitek gamer board until the input for the dask key seem to stick on at random annoying times (browser fonts shrinking rofl) Probably going to go with a nice simple cherry keyboad as there naff that can really go wrong...

Dual 8400 £112.99 ex vat vs Quad 6600 £105.99 ex vat....

P45 or x38... bios for x38 has just matured.. haven't read any reviews yet on P45 boards to see if they have done a better job, than the intial x38 bioses...

both are simlar price point... & hard to tell them apart lol...

Intel are having issues with 45nm tech..don't hold your breath for new decent speed cpu's... they may have just have given AMD a brief reprieve as Intel hit that speed/heat wall yet again.(if you want a good insight have read of some the articles on overclockers.com)

Edited by sick-lizard on 04-06-2008 17:57

mrbreckles
Nice one lads.
Also yeah agrippa, ive got a 5.1 card in this machine so id just switch that over.
Also, if space permits, id put the 2gb of RAM ive got into the new machine too.
Then again, i might sell this one and put that towards the new.
I really could do with surround sound headphones.
Ive got a 5.1 setup but not in a headset which is something i greatly need so i dont annoy the neighbours when im playing dustbowl at 1 in the morning.

The keyboard and mouse you mention do seem to be a very popular choice, i was actually thinking of going with those 2 before you mentioned them.

Indeed Flying, im waiting on the graphics card side because i know how much they come down in time.
Infact itll be the last thing i buy just to benefit from the price drops.

Im running a dual-core now and ill probably stick to a dual core like you say because again, they arnt utilised properly.

To be honest, im probably going to have a good wedge out of £1000 left, and ive been looking at a new projector now im in my new place, would be ideal.

Anyone have any experience with using a projector for FPS's, digital or not ?

gori11a
My suggestion would be:

Motherboard -Asus P5Q-E Intel P45

CPU -Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 3.00GHz

Memory -Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500C5
Buy cheaper Ram if not OCing

PSU Antec Quattro 850W or 1000w
Should cover any Graffix card/s +upgrades

Put it all in one of these http://www.coolermaster.com/products/...17&id=2584
if only i had something funny or clever to put here........

Tinger
dont buy razor baracuda headphones the build quality is shit

mrbreckles
Nice one gorilla.
Itll be a little while until i get the stuff together, but, its all noted down =)

Jump to Forum