cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
external hard drive
-un-faithful
i want to buy an external hard drive. i got about £60-70 to blow and size and reliability are my main concerns ie, as big as reliably possible. any suggestions, recommendations or warnings from anyone b4 i spend the day trolling the inter-web? ta in advance for any pointers.
Chill =]

Cold
i have a freecom which is very nice, are you looking for USB or e-SATA?

-un-faithful
USB probs
Chill =]

Number9
I bought an external caddy for my old ps3 hard drive and that has eSata on it. Everytime I plug it in my computer seems to die.

Maxtor one i have seems to be good, 500GB one was around £70 if i remember correctly

Ramini
I got myself a Western Digital Mybook about 4 years ago and never had a problem with it so can recommend that for reliability. Thing is now I look on amazon, the updated version of the one I have (with a green light on the front) is £84 for 500gb but with a blue light on front its £64. I can't see any difference on the amazon pages so unless you feel like paying £20 for a green light... Pfft

Edited by Ramini on 04-05-2008 18:38

jem58
From memory, the colour of light on the WD drives does make a difference - the green one probably has a few more connectivity options (I'm guessing firewire) and probably a bit more bloatware to go with it.

As for me, I have a portable 160gb seagate freeagent for my laptop, which is small and does the trick, but if you dont need it to be portable there are much better deals to be had.

-un-faithful
cheers for the input chaps. went for the free-com in the end,paid about £70 with free post. read some good reviews and cold recommended it, so if it breaks i can blame him. lol
Chill =]

Ramini
Devil
I'm not sure Jem, I never had to install anything at all for the harddrive, just plugged it in. Theres only 3 holes in the back, one for usb, one for power and another with a picture of a lock but no switch or socket, I assume that must be the difference whatever it is.

dangerarea

Ramini wrote:
and another with a picture of a lock but no switch or socket

That's for a kensington locking cable so nobody steals it (even though they can be opened with a scrap of paper).
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.
[url=http://cleveridiot.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php]
cleveridiot.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php/sig/28413_random.png
[/url]

Jump to Forum