cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » the games we play
 Print Thread
Team fortress 2D?
Acegikmo
How would TF2 be if it was 2D?
Well, I've decided to attempt making a mod as soon as Valve release the modding tools for orange box.

I'm thinking about how I shall make it.
It will be a 2D mod in a 3D environment Pfft
Do you think I should make a top-down view mod?
Side view?

Maybe a top down view version would be fun, where the camera is quite far away so you see almost the whole arena.
But then, what about the spy?
If everyone can see the whole map, they will see the spies.
Maybe some cover where they can stay under.

Scout would need some more advantage too, doublejump is pretty useless if you see from above, and you can't go upwards.

What do you think should be changed/added from the original TF2? (Apart from the camera control Wink)

(I'm open for many ideas for TF2 mods, come with suggestions!)

RebelRobert
ace my man. let me get this straight... you want to make a mod similar to cs 2d but in tf2 style? if so, i would say that spy's should be able to backstab while still in stealth mode, and scout's should be rather fast compared to the others...
bah... what do i know :rip:

Raven
What about Sentry guns Pfft from the side they will just be facing forward and backwards Shock
img696.imageshack.us/img696/5314/mariasig2.jpg

Armacoast
Something like this: TF2 2D

But unfortuneatly is a pre alphaFrown
i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Armacoast/9b3200whoa.gif

militant camel
There's a side on flash version of Portal that seem to work pretty well - http://www.kongre...sh-version

RebelRobert

Armacoast wrote:
Something like this: TF2 2D

But unfortuneatly is a pre alphaFrown

Well, that's a mod to cs 2d aight? in other words, cs 2d with new weapons and skins :no:

MESER
Are you talking about still using the Source engine but modded for 2D

Like if your doing top down veiw if you dont want players jumping use high gravity to make them go in only flat directions.

If you used shelters and cover we would still have to see our player
but the sky box allows that anyways I think

Maybe hard converting existing maps to work into Top Down Veiw 2D TF2
Granary/Well maybe easy to convert as they are mainly linear.

Good stuff aceSmile

sick-lizard
lol good stuff... but from personal experience of writing mod scripts & map making you are talking about an awful lot of work Ace, projects such as you are describing can take a while to get anywhere & often require a team rather than an individual Smile

TinyT
Top down mods are usually great fun (espec alien swarm). However they can be a pain to assemble and will require more than one guy like sick-lizard (sorry).

That portal flash is pretty decent, went through it a few weeks ago, good fun but a few bugs
We are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world

Don Pedro
i have found with my own personal projects that the hardest part is fully completing them. It is easy to drift from one great idea to another ending up with nothing really finished.
find someone to work with you.

now hurry up and finish the map we testedSmile

Acegikmo
I'm gonna try to finish the map Smile

Anyway, thanks for posting guys!
I am modding the source engine, so I'm changing the TF2 code.
I haven't planned to make the Valve maps as maps in the 2D version.

Anyway, do you think I should have an isometric view maybe?
(Wouldn't be 2D anymore, but meh Pfft)

Jump to Forum