cleveridiot.com » the clever bit » pimp my rig
 Print Thread
Whats the best gaming broadband provider (uncapped)???
Tinger
Title says it all please help Grin

sick-lizard
would say virgin 20meg service.. but we are throttled between 16:30 & 23:00 .. is kinda of ok as i live in an area with lots of students in who love the p2p a bit much so last year was getting absolutley shite pings at peak times this year there nice w00t.. & I schedule my p2p abuse to the early hours of the morning. Smile

Say
http://www.bethere.co.uk

have a look at the fair usage policy. Heard nothing but good things about these people.

Edited by Say on 13-03-2008 20:13

Cold
be, as say said.

IMO virgin are too unreliable

Tinger
cant get be where i live Sad they install there own equipment in the telephone exchanges

I think the max speed I can get is just over two meg Giggleol: :no:
Dont forget I live in wales :uhoh:

Say
bah I don't have the checker url here. Could of checked the line for you.

In the mean time have a look on

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/che...ecker2.php

I live 5 minutes from the welsh border meh.

Edited by Say on 13-03-2008 20:39

Tinger
according to that web site I can have these goodies

BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
BT Wholesale SDSL
TalkTalk (CPW) LLU

CenTinela
Im sure yours is better than ours...:upset:

Mine: 80ms ping on spanish servers, 100ms on the pool :no:

sick-lizard
my gf has TalkTalk and her latency & service is good.. but she lives in the middle of the smoke, a lot depends on your line quailty out in the sticks.. my parent are using BT out in west wales & there service is ok tbh didn't look at latency on there conenction as haven't converted them to tf2 yet Giggleol:

cold wrote:
be, as say said.

IMO virgin are too unreliable

hmm funny you say that been with Virgin 8 years now from what used to be Telewest\Blueyonder & at the same time worked for BT ... as BT wholesale suck isp's have allsorts of issues dealing with BT's infrastructure with horrendous lead times to get upgrade & repair work carried out, so unless the isp is known to have high contention ratios on routers & servers etc, they are pretty much at the mercy of BT's infrastructure despite being able to have there own kit exchanges..BT still run em...

Virgin on the other hand bought NTL & Telewest infrastructure which they run on there own fibre so when things go tu most stuff gets fixed quick Grin So if your in area covered by cable as well as adsl, would go for the cable hands down Smile

This of course dosen't help poor tinger..

Tinger
My new flat is about 40 meters from the Main exchange Wink
Might get a shiny new line put in

sick-lizard

Tinger wrote:
My new flat is about 40 meters from the Main exchange Wink
Might get a shiny new line put in

very nice.. shame can't try both BT & Talk Talk, before you buy lol.. What speed they offering on SDSL & how much, as 40 meters from the exchange with one of those puppies should be very nice Smile

Tinger
sdsl is way out of my price range Sad

sick-lizard
ok look if there is any difference in contention ratios between the offerings Smile

Tinger

sick-lizard wrote:

very nice.. shame can't try both BT & Talk Talk, before you buy lol.. What speed they offering on SDSL & how much, as 40 meters from the exchange with one of those puppies should be very nice Smile

O realy http://media.phonehouse.com/mediaserv...T=30DAYPOP

WinkGrin

sick-lizard
sweet 30 day trial & no mention of capping in T's & C's..

militant camel
I have Virgin (formally Telewest)'s cable and it's pretty good for the most part. It does seem to vary depending on which area you're in though.

Clever Idiot
Brand new customers deal Pfft even though Ive been with them 6/7 years now. 20mb + phone + tv deal for the same price as 4mb + phone deal. Ty dude,the misses (different surname will do the same next year Smile As i Cancel on the 12th month...thanks and goodbye.

FuZz
Have to agre with sick, I'm also on Virgin's 20MB service (having been with telewest/blueyonder/whateverthefucktheywerecalled in the past), and I have not once had a problemn that wasn't fixed very quickly and professionally. And to tell thwe truth, I've had like...2/3 minor problems in 6 years.

The capping is a bit of a bitch in principle, but to be honest, I hardly ever notice it. Take yesterday for example.

I left my home PC on durring the day running some torrents. Came home to find that all 3 torrents had finished (both seasons of the venture brothers, season 1 of skins - that thing off E4, and season 3 of battlestar galactica) much to my delight, as they had only been started the night before.

That totals over 20GB of data up until 4pm alone. Of course, I then got home and did the obligatory forum reading sesh, which yesterday included a decent amount of youtubing due to links (which reminds me I need to link them on here, they were ace Grin), which I subsequently forwarded in an email to my flatmate, and she watched them all too. Oh yeah, forgot to mention, my flatmate has torrents running 100% of the time, and no I'm not exaggerating, although she has got her down/up slightly capped so I can still play games without lagging.

Then after that, I proceeded to download the new episodes of the 2/3 Animes that I watch (new episodes always released on a thursday) from a website I have a subscirption with (speeds were about 1700k/s, which admittedly isn't full speed, but shit that's still fast).

Once done with that I settled into a decent bit of gaming, with my usual lovely lovely ping, and called it a night.

BADNSWIDTH THROTTLING? Surely if I am able to download quite as much as I do and still get a quality of service despite throttling that kills off ANY other form of competition from other ISPs, then the whole throttling thing isn't such a big deal? Pfft

Man there are so many spelling mistakes in that post I just can't be arsed to go back and fix them all. I think I should just type a bit slower Pfft

Edited by FuZz on 14-03-2008 09:27

img80.imageshack.us/img80/7185/userbar522753bs9.gif

Tinger
Fuzz I think would actually kill someone to get internet like that Sad

FuZz
I know mate, I can't do anything but sing Virgin's praises to be honest. Had a brief spell on BT provided ADSL a couple of years back due to the flat I was in for 6months couldn't get cable. I started to have bandwidth withdrawal symptoms....
img80.imageshack.us/img80/7185/userbar522753bs9.gif

Jump to Forum