Print Thread
Media Center OS
Tinger
Can anyone recommend a good mediacenter OS

FuZz
Much as I hate to say it, vista does the job pretty damn well for me -_-
img80.imageshack.us/img80/7185/userbar522753bs9.gif

Tinger
I am just looking for something that will quickly boot straight into a media center browser with no other OS options. I have used xp media center as you could do it with that, and you could lock the rest of the pc .But I did not like The interface. At the mo I am using vista pro 64. I aint checked out all the media center options on it yet. Has anyone tried MYTHTV or LinuxMCE ? I might give the latter a try :uhoh:

Say

FuZz wrote:
Much as I hate to say it, vista does the job pretty damn well for me -_-

To be fair I actually like the media centre on vista. (as much as I hate to say it aswell)

Plus I can close it half way through a film and open it ... Ooh look I'm back where I left off. Woo

Clever Idiot
Yeah vista media center does the trick for me as well , ive used mythtv , sagetv , showshifter , DVBdream most had problems with my TV usb device. PCI cards are easyer to sort by the looks of it.

sick-lizard
nearly went myth tv but was a bit of pain arse to setup(under ubuntu), but it may have improved since(6months ago)

gori11a
Ive just built HTPC using Vista works for me.

Thought about other OS's but wanted to spend more time using than pissing about trying to make it work, how much time do u have?
if only i had something funny or clever to put here........

Clever Idiot

G0R1LL3R wrote:
Ive just built HTPC using Vista works for me.

Thought about other OS's but wanted to spend more time using than pissing about trying to make it work, how much time do u have?

hes talking sense , you take twice as long trying to get it to work , with vista media center just worked right out of the tin Smile no one likes pump M$oft but ya cant knock if it works.

Number9
If you just want to watch films, divx, dvds etc chipped / software modded xbox 1.

Xbox Media Centre does everything you'd ever need, you can pick them up for nothing these days. Game or someone were selling them off for £30 each at Christmas

frosty

Number9 wrote:
If you just want to watch films, divx, dvds etc chipped / software modded xbox 1.

Xbox Media Centre does everything you'd ever need, you can pick them up for nothing these days. Game or someone were selling them off for £30 each at Christmas

we use an xbox1 @ home with xbmc loaded on it and i gotta say it rocks, not so good for hdtv stuff (as the processor just isn't up to it) but for connectivity/codecs/adaptability its the best solution i'v seen yet (chipped xbox & remote control = about £60 total from ebay) it will plug into your pc and can be set up to display the contents of several folders so u can have your tv/movie archive spread across several drives & still appear in one convenient list on your telly

nax23
im using tversity on xp
has a webinterface
perfect for the ps3 cause it can realtime transcode the vidformat and stream it at the same time

Jump to Forum